West coast salmon recovery

Got text? I’m struggling to find it.

But by the title, this feels like a kiss to “make it all better”, when the “ouchie” is a sucking chest wound. Just ban the crap already- trawling has wrecked every marine ecosystem and fishery it has ever touched, including Atlantic Cod on George’s Bank.
So far nothing. I keep checking but it looks like it is stuck at the Natural Resources committee .

Text: H.R.8508 — 118th Congress (2023-2024)All Information (Except Text)​

As of 06/27/2024 text has not been received for H.R.8508 - To amend the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act to reauthorize the bycatch reduction engineering program and establish the Bycatch Mitigation Assistance Fund.

Bills are generally sent to the Library of Congress from GPO, the Government Publishing Office, a day or two after they are introduced on the floor of the House or Senate. Delays can occur when there are a large number of bills to prepare or when a very large bill has to be printed.

That's cool to see it in person. I checked this out a week ago and the number of sockeye coming through then at once was crazy.

That's cool to see it in person. I checked this out a week ago and the number of sockeye coming through then at once was crazy.
Outstanding! I guided in Bristol bay for 20 years, there were a few days 250,000 sockeye came up the river. I can't begin to imagine the potential numbers the Columbia could produce. I'm certainly excited with the effort on the Columbia.

This isn't great, but thought I would share on this thread. Sorry if there is a paywall. The headline pretty much covers it. A huge run of sockeye salmon waiting on the weather to enter spawning tributaries.

Another step in the wrong direction.

The incident occurred June 24 at Victoria Gold’s Eagle mine, the Yukon’s largest and newest gold mine. A landslide at the site’s heap leach pad, where the company uses cyanide to extract gold from ore, ripped through a containment barrier.

The failure released some 2,000,000 metric tons of material, including hundreds of thousands of cubic meters of cyanide solution, into the environment. About 10 days later, high levels of cyanide, which is toxic to fish, were detected in a creek downstream, though more recent samples showed safer levels, according to the Yukon government.

Sort of a soft article, but I just grabbed one for the headline.

I drove through the area that was previously flooded by the John C. BOYLE dam. It looks good. A close friend has ridden around what was previously Iron Gate and Copco reservoirs. He says the restoration around Iron Gate looks great and Copco looks terrible. I suspect that could be due to the prevalence of private property around Copco.

I'll try and take a drive down there on the fall.

Firsthand report on the sockeye numbers in the Kenai River: unbelievable. Limits in under an hour if you just wanted whatever was on the end of your line. If you only wanted the largest bucks it could take a bit longer, but easily doable.

Firsthand report on the sockeye numbers in the Kenai River: unbelievable. Limits in under an hour if you just wanted whatever was on the end of your line. If you only wanted the largest bucks it could take a bit longer, but easily doable.
Good to hear. Any kings?

I wish. Heard of one being caught and released from the shore but that’s it. The status of those Kings is truly a heartbreaking deal.
It’s almost as if midwater species that eat plankton are doing well and bottom-oriented species that eat bait and have high vulnerability as trawling bycatch are doing poorly.

It’s almost as if midwater species that eat plankton are doing well and bottom-oriented species that eat bait and have high vulnerability as trawling bycatch are doing poorly.
:confused:

This isn't great, but thought I would share on this thread. Sorry if there is a paywall. The headline pretty much covers it. A huge run of sockeye salmon waiting on the weather to enter spawning tributaries.

That article is pretty misleading. Yes there is an issue on the Okanogan, which could partially be solved by removing the Eolan dam, but it's also just the nature of the beast, the geograph (and geology) that created prime habitat for sockeye, these large inland lakes connected to low gradient rivers, is the same geography and geology that creates the hot water. I get pretty sick of crying wolf when the sockeye trend is so obviously heading in the right direction.
Lake Wenatchee has seen 187k fish so far this year, absolutely SHATTERING the previous record (which was made just a couple years ago). That's more sockeye than the entire Columbia used to return at the turn of the century.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back