NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Weight Loss Drugs

These medicines work. They also can cause lean muscle mass loss. So you have to stay active while taking them. GLP-1’s have been studied for a while now. Long term weight loss studies with these medicines don’t exist yet. We prescribe it regularly. If we can’t get a pre-approval then, We can make it more affordable by sending it to a compounding pharmacy. It will take it down from 1000$ to 150-200$.

I work with a lady that has lost a ton of weight on one of those (well past 100 lbs). If every case is like hers there’s not a chance in hell I’d take the shot. It’s a 50/50 shot every day that I hear her throwing up in her garbage can after she eats and she acts miserable (dragging around with absolutely no energy and just generally doesn’t look good)
But she can go off from it and get back to her normal minus the weight. She will gain some back but as long as she is at a net negative she is ahead. These are not meant to be forever drugs.

just as important to eat enough protein. Most people are severely under eating protein…
I agree. I am a 1 gm protein per pound of body weight.

Sometimes people need some help. I would support them in their battle. Many times before I discuss medications with patients for weight loss I will send them to a nutritionist and have them follow their guidelines. If unsuccessful then medicines are added. Sometimes I make the recommendation patient gets surgical intervention for weight loss. Sometimes just for to help people out.

What's your sugar intake like?

Sugar was always my achilles heel. I was consistently 30+ pounds overweight, even though I exercised a ton. I thought switching from drinking soda to diet soda would solve the problem but it didn't.

Turns out even diet soda screws with your blood sugar and sugar cravings. So I cut out soda completely. I dropped those 30 pounds and have kept them off now for 11 years, because my other cravings became so much more manageable.

I still have a sweet tooth but I find I can eat very small amounts of what I'm craving and that's enough. Kicking the soda (or any sugary beverage, be it iced coffees or teas or juice or energy drinks or whatever) was 100% my magic bullet so I give everyone that advice, in case it might be yours too.

There’s no such thing as a free lunch, but I think some very compelling cases can be made that the negative side effects of GLP-1s, may very well be preferable to being overweight. Being overweight is absolutely terrible for you in almost every meaningful metric of health.

I’ll throw something else out there though: Testosterone. I don’t know how old you are, but I have “ researched” a ton about it over the last couple years, and feel comfortable with the fact that though I am only 40 right now, but in the future if I feel there will be a benefit to it, I will be taking it. It too, has negative side effects and what is essentially a lifetime dependence once started, but it really does seem to benefit men of a certain demographic, struggling with certain things. You cannot outwork a bad diet and nutrition is everything, and a oft-reported side effect of testosterone is not only physical in benefit, but mental. Might be worth exploring if you are a candidate.

Disclaimer: Aquiring medical input from a mapmaker, you get what you pay for.

I keep my weight by drinking dinner occasionally and skipping lunch sometimes 🤣
Was a lot easier when your young. I can remember drinking my dinner pretty much every night in my twenties amd then having nothing but a red Gatorade to last me a 12 hour shift the next day and then do it all over again. Hurts to think about now.....you'll see.

A NYT article today on GLP-1s (Ozympic, Zepbound, Mounjaro, Wegovy, etc) has me curious what the HT community thinks about these new, extremely expensive, weight loss drugs. The thrust of the article was that obesity doctors would like to be able to prescribe these drugs, but without a diagnosis of diabetes, people who are pre-diabetic or right on the line are unable to afford these drugs. Basically, in order to get access to them, people need to be even less healthy. In classic American fashion, it would seem that we'd rather fix the problem when it is too late than try to prevent it from happening in the first place.

I'm close personally with someone with Type 2 Diabetes, so their insurance has been able to cover a Mounjaro prescription. From what they've told me, the real miracle of these drugs is that they reduce appetite, cravings, and seem to alter the mental health piece of eating disorders. Basically, this person reports that they aren't thinking about food all the time.

As someone whose weight fluctuates dramatically (50-60 lbs a year), I keep coming back to how nice that must be. Every diet/exercise plan I've tried has worked for about 6 months, but after elk season, the weight always piles back on. When I am on those plans, it starts to feel like every waking moment of my life is spent thinking about calories and food, and I'm hungry all the time. It's not a fun way to live.

I reached out to a friend of mine who runs a clinic, and he told me I fall into that magical zone of not-quite-unhealthy enough to require GLP-1s. The other kicker: is it sounds like once someone starts on those drugs, they are stuck for life. I don't really want that.

I'd rather be carrying 50lbs of elk meat out on my back up and down the mountains than 50 lbs of excess body weight. And even more so, I'd like something consistent that lasts year round, that doesn't require me to spend every waking moment feeling hungry and thinking about food. Anyone else in the same boat or know anything more about these drugs?

For clarity, I'm not looking for a miracle or easy way out; I've sweat plenty in gyms, dieted hard, and lost 50+ lbs about 10 times already. I know what that takes and will do it again. But I am curious to learn about others' thoughts and experiences in this regard.

Attachments

• IMG_4905.jpeg
    IMG_4905.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 15
Here is my quick two cents. I strongly believe that the best way to control your health and diet is to record all your intake. There are some great apps for that these days. It is extremely powerful when you see just how good or bad a single item of food can be.

I'm type 2 - diagnosed 4 years ago at 44. There is a strong genetic link for the type 2 in my family and I've always figured I would eventually have to deal with it.

We (my doc and I) have gradually increased / added some medications over the last 4 years. I did start Victoza in December and it has made a marked impact on my A1C (and increased energy levels). I do watch my diet - although I am not super strict. I drink at least 60 oz of water per day. I'm very active on weekends and work at getting some exercise during the week. I've finished the Bridger Ridge Run multiple times (the last time I weighed in around 240). I only bring this up to those that might think the drug is for "lazy people". There is a dosage level effective for diabetes, then a slightly higher dosage for weight loss. I'm currently at the max dosage for weight loss - only because I tolerate it very well AND it helps keep my A1C low.

Not sure if it answers the OP - BUT - it has been very helpful to me. If I need to switch to another GLP-1 in the future, I will be doing so - regardless of the cost. I've seen the cost of not controlling your type 2 well - and won't repeat that mistake.

I am currently taking one of these. So is my wife. We did a TON of research beforehand. I was EXTREMELY skeptical about these and looked at them the same way I have looked at weight loss pills. However, after doing research, this is a totally different thing. I think the biggest thing for people going into it is the mindset. Those that I have known or read about who have dropped tons of weight drastically fast, had terrible side effects, and gained weight back after stopping went into it with the mindset of it being a "miracle" drug. That is not and never has been the goal or point of these drugs.

For me, I grew up in a very unhealthy household. I watched my mother binge eat until she was so obese she could barely move. She has had gastric bypass and all sorts of health issues. I have fought weight issues from the time I was 20 years old. I have an unhealthy eating disorder for binge eating even though I have watched what it has done to my own mother. What I have noticed more than anything since beginning these shots is the mental change that is occurring. I'm looking at the shots as a tool for me to change the relationship that my brain has had with food. Since starting the shot, I haven't had the same urges for binge eating. I'm reteaching my brain what food is for and how I can use it in a more healthy way. I have had a ton of experience with healthy eating. I know so much about it and can talk about all kinds of nutrition related topics. However, what has always held me back was being able to curb the urges and binge eating. This is helping me over that obstacle.

It is not for everyone. I believe many of the terrible side effects are from those pushing the doses to the upper limits of the drug. I have had minimal, but am on a very low dose. I am pairing it with working out (which I do regularly anyway) and am seeing results on the scale, but healthy results. Between 2-3 lbs average per week. I'm not looking for an overnight miracle. I am looking at how I can have long term lasting results by reframing and re-teaching my brain. Those that go into it with this mindset can be successful, and I believe have minimal side effects. Those that just want the miracle drug will lose muscle along with fat, gain it back, and be miserable. Just my own experiece and opinions.

People lose weight taking it. There are side effects, especially GI ones as patients adjust to taking the meds. I would never recommend it for vanity or people who can lose weight with diet and exercise. It is almost certainly better than having diabetes or being obese.

Bottom line, if you are obese, or have a comorbidity, it is worth discussing with your primary care provider. Doctors I trust are prescribing this with success for obese patients.

Here is my quick two cents. I strongly believe that the best way to control your health and diet is to record all your intake. There are some great apps for that these days. It is extremely powerful when you see just how good or bad a single item of food can be.

Very true. I used to struggle alot with my diabetes but when I started tracking everything I ate I realized how fast carbs really add up. It was actually an eye opener for me.

From what I understand, Ozempic is made in the EU and can't be sold in the EU. That probably should tell you something. There have been significant side effects for many people with every weight loss drug I've ever heard about. Nope, I'm not a MD.

I believe the best course of action is a Keto diet of some type. They don't usually wreck your metabolism like the drugs do either. In other words, when you go off the drugs you gain the weight back.

A NYT article today on GLP-1s (Ozympic, Zepbound, Mounjaro, Wegovy, etc) has me curious what the HT community thinks about these new, extremely expensive, weight loss drugs. The thrust of the article was that obesity doctors would like to be able to prescribe these drugs, but without a diagnosis of diabetes, people who are pre-diabetic or right on the line are unable to afford these drugs. Basically, in order to get access to them, people need to be even less healthy. In classic American fashion, it would seem that we'd rather fix the problem when it is too late than try to prevent it from happening in the first place.

I'm close personally with someone with Type 2 Diabetes, so their insurance has been able to cover a Mounjaro prescription. From what they've told me, the real miracle of these drugs is that they reduce appetite, cravings, and seem to alter the mental health piece of eating disorders. Basically, this person reports that they aren't thinking about food all the time.

As someone whose weight fluctuates dramatically (50-60 lbs a year), I keep coming back to how nice that must be. Every diet/exercise plan I've tried has worked for about 6 months, but after elk season, the weight always piles back on. When I am on those plans, it starts to feel like every waking moment of my life is spent thinking about calories and food, and I'm hungry all the time. It's not a fun way to live.

I reached out to a friend of mine who runs a clinic, and he told me I fall into that magical zone of not-quite-unhealthy enough to require GLP-1s. The other kicker: is it sounds like once someone starts on those drugs, they are stuck for life. I don't really want that.

I'd rather be carrying 50lbs of elk meat out on my back up and down the mountains than 50 lbs of excess body weight. And even more so, I'd like something consistent that lasts year round, that doesn't require me to spend every waking moment feeling hungry and thinking about food. Anyone else in the same boat or know anything more about these drugs?

For clarity, I'm not looking for a miracle or easy way out; I've sweat plenty in gyms, dieted hard, and lost 50+ lbs about 10 times already. I know what that takes and will do it again. But I am curious to learn about others' thoughts and experiences in this regard.
If you are putting on 50lbs after elk season it's because you stopped moving and you eat too much.

Stay active and stop eating see food.

Medication for non critical things is a no go in my book. Take responsibility for your actions and stop looking for the quick fix. Your body will thank you.

Back