NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Weight Loss Drugs

Elky Welky

A NYT article today on GLP-1s (Ozympic, Zepbound, Mounjaro, Wegovy, etc) has me curious what the HT community thinks about these new, extremely expensive, weight loss drugs. The thrust of the article was that obesity doctors would like to be able to prescribe these drugs, but without a diagnosis of diabetes, people who are pre-diabetic or right on the line are unable to afford these drugs. Basically, in order to get access to them, people need to be even less healthy. In classic American fashion, it would seem that we'd rather fix the problem when it is too late than try to prevent it from happening in the first place.

I'm close personally with someone with Type 2 Diabetes, so their insurance has been able to cover a Mounjaro prescription. From what they've told me, the real miracle of these drugs is that they reduce appetite, cravings, and seem to alter the mental health piece of eating disorders. Basically, this person reports that they aren't thinking about food all the time.

As someone whose weight fluctuates dramatically (50-60 lbs a year), I keep coming back to how nice that must be. Every diet/exercise plan I've tried has worked for about 6 months, but after elk season, the weight always piles back on. When I am on those plans, it starts to feel like every waking moment of my life is spent thinking about calories and food, and I'm hungry all the time. It's not a fun way to live.

I reached out to a friend of mine who runs a clinic, and he told me I fall into that magical zone of not-quite-unhealthy enough to require GLP-1s. The other kicker: is it sounds like once someone starts on those drugs, they are stuck for life. I don't really want that.

I'd rather be carrying 50lbs of elk meat out on my back up and down the mountains than 50 lbs of excess body weight. And even more so, I'd like something consistent that lasts year round, that doesn't require me to spend every waking moment feeling hungry and thinking about food. Anyone else in the same boat or know anything more about these drugs?

For clarity, I'm not looking for a miracle or easy way out; I've sweat plenty in gyms, dieted hard, and lost 50+ lbs about 10 times already. I know what that takes and will do it again. But I am curious to learn about others' thoughts and experiences in this regard.

I’d be willing to try just for kicks I guess, but losing body fat is one part of the puzzle. Need to also have muscle to carry that 50 lb elk quarter. So I figure while I build muscle doing normal exercise, I’ll lose fat at the same time. Without the drugs.

Stonks.

It works and it’s not a stuck for life thing. Not even sure where that phrase comes from.

Both my sister were on it with great results and I have started it.

Check with your insurance to see if it is part of the formulary. If it is get your preapproval and give it a try.

I’d be willing to try just for kicks I guess, but losing body fat is one part of the puzzle. Need to also have muscle to carry that 50 lb elk quarter. So I figure while I build muscle doing normal exercise, I’ll lose fat at the same time. Without the drugs.

Stonks.
If only exercise was the answer, but for me, diet is 90% of it. I played college football and even when I'm in peak fitness, my BMI says I am overweight/bordline obese. Plenty of muscle still there.

Based on this comment, it doesn't sound like you have the issues with food cravings?

If only exercise was the answer, but for me, diet is 90% of it. I played college football and even when I'm in peak fitness, my BMI says I am overweight/bordline obese. Plenty of muscle still there.

Based on this comment, it doesn't sound like you have the issues with food cravings?
I do have issues with food cravings, that’s my biggest problem. If I can curb that, I’d be in good shape, figuratively and literally speaking.

I have no qualms about hiking up a mountain or crossing a stream or whatever. What I struggle to do is pass up on a Route 44 Cherry limeaid at sonic.

I sympathize with you though. I was a high school athlete and was a college prospect. I was 6’2” 212 lb basketball player. I could never break 200 lbs. I have a bad sweet tooth.

I have type 2 diabetes and can personally tell you that people that use these drugs for weight loss freaking suck. Many times I needed to get a prescription filled and can't get it because a shortage of the drugs. When I asked the pharmacist I was told to many people are using it for weight loss.

i worry that way down the road we're gonna see some interesting issues arise in people that go hard on glp-1s for years on end.
This! Preliminary studies show folks on these drugs are giving up some bone density after time. I know a few folks that tried it and it gave them horrible gastrointestinal issues...they couldn't take it.

I think it's hilarious some of the folks wouldn't get a covid shot are the 1st folks in line for this shot and talk about how great it is...

Check out side effects carefully. Lots of GI distress (nausea/vomiting) being reported. And the weight loss is disproportionally hitting muscle mass compared with fat stores.

I have more than a handful of friends and family taking this stuff all mid/late fifties and all lost a bunch of weight. They sorta have an unhealthy look to them? Anyone else seeing this?

I do have a friend on it, and her results have been remarkable. And it isn't just about feeling full or suppressing appetite; there's way more to insulin than we know, and clearly GLP-1 drugs are affecting some metabolic pathways. And it seems to be reducing coronary artery disease more than could be predicted by weight loss alone.

And for the "just go to the gym" folks, genetics matter. Some genetic groups, when fed even a healthy "western" diet will be 100% diabetic. Others, 100% alcoholic, because they lack an enzyme which breaks down alcohol.

Lots we don't know.

I have type 2 diabetes and can personally tell you that people that use these drugs for weight loss freaking suck. Many times I needed to get a prescription filled and can't get it because a shortage of the drugs. When I asked the pharmacist I was told to many people are using it for weight loss.
That’s a perspective I can stand behind.

My sister is a pharmacy tech. There is a lot more to this than what you posted.

Pharmacies don’t make much of a drug from certain insurances. They make a lot more from cash customers and cherry picked insurances. They sell to those first and it doesn’t so much matter who is diabetic or not. Diabetic patients get the other version. One is FDA approved for A1C higher than 6 or diabetes. The other is Wegovi, it is approved for weight loss. Same drug different patten and approval.

It’s likely a conversation you need to have with your provider and pharmacist if your a diabetic medicine isn’t getting filled.

I work with a lady that has lost a ton of weight on one of those (well past 100 lbs). If every case is like hers there’s not a chance in hell I’d take the shot. It’s a 50/50 shot every day that I hear her throwing up in her garbage can after she eats and she acts miserable (dragging around with absolutely no energy and just generally doesn’t look good)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DtechStore
Back