Caribou Gear

Unit 319 Montana Mule Deer

MuleyHigh

Was finally able to draw a mule deer tag this year, very excited!!! The past few years I’ve hunted general near Colstrip, so being able to truck through some western country this season will be a great change of scenery.

My family and I are planning a scouting/camping trip in a couple weeks for this unit and I was curious if anyone is familiar with the area? I’m thinking of starting on the eastern side near Fleecer Mt. mgmt area. After that working my way west towards the Mount Haggin mgmt area and then up north towards Anaconda. Any tips/info is greatly appreciated!

Side Note: Goodluck to everyone that put in for Antelope!

Hunting mule deer in Western Montana can be an exciting and rewarding experience, given the diverse terrain and healthy deer populations in the region. Here’s a guide to help you with your mule deer hunting adventure:

1. Research and Preparation

• Understand the Regulations: Check the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks (FWP) website for specific hunting regulations, seasons, and licensing requirements. Rules can vary by district.
  • Map Out Areas: Western Montana offers various hunting areas with different terrains. Familiarize yourself with areas such as the Bitterroot Valley, Flathead National Forest, or the Missouri Breaks. Look for areas known for good mule deer populations.

2. Gear and Equipment

• Firearm/Bow: Depending on your preference, ensure your rifle or bow is in good working condition and suitable for the hunting range. Mule deer can be spotted at varying distances, so a reliable scope or bow sight is essential.
  • Clothing: Dress in layers to adapt to changing weather conditions. Waterproof and windproof outer layers are crucial due to the variable weather.
  • Gear: Binoculars with a high magnification (10x42 is common), a rangefinder, and a sturdy backpack for carrying gear and game are important.

3. Scouting

• Pre-season Scouting: Spend time in the area before the season to familiarize yourself with the landscape, deer patterns, and potential food and water sources.
  • Trail Cameras: Use trail cameras to monitor deer activity and identify patterns or preferred locations.

4. Hunting Techniques

• Spot and Stalk: Western Montana’s terrain is ideal for spot-and-stalk hunting. Use binoculars to locate deer from a distance, then carefully stalk within range.
  • Glassing: Early morning and late afternoon are the best times for glassing, as deer are more active during these periods. Look for deer in open meadows, on slopes, and near water sources.
  • Hunting in the Rut: The rut typically occurs in November. During this time, bucks are more active and may be easier to spot as they chase does.

5. Safety and Ethics

• Know Your Target: Ensure you have a clear shot to avoid wounding the animal. Mule deer can be elusive and quick, so take your time to line up a clean shot.
  • Follow Safety Protocols: Always be aware of your surroundings and follow firearm safety rules. Inform someone about your hunting plans and carry a map and compass or GPS device.

6. Field Dressing and Processing

• Field Dressing: Once you’ve harvested a deer, field dress it as soon as possible to preserve the meat. This involves removing the internal organs and cooling the meat.
  • Processing: You can process the meat yourself or take it to a local processor. Make sure to keep it cool and properly stored to avoid spoilage.

7. Respect Landowners and Public Lands

• Private Land: Obtain permission from landowners if hunting on private property.
  • Public Land: Respect the rules and guidelines for hunting on public lands and practice Leave No Trace principles to preserve the environment.
By following these guidelines, you’ll increase your chances of a successful and enjoyable mule deer hunt in Western Montana. Good luck and stay safe!
sincerely, ChatGPT
welcome to hunttalk

The western half of 319 has only been a draw unit for a couple years now due to the FWP consolidation of several big game units. Stop and get a Wop Chop at the Freeway in Butte. It may be the highlight of your trip.

Yes, I think 1000 mule deer buck tags issued. My buddy is a guide in that area. They killed a solid 140 buck off the primo private last yr. Public gets hammered by elk hunters.

Just so u all know. I don't put glass on 140 deer. Sad. Mt mule deer. Crazy shit to me. Fwp management.

Tell u all a story I grew up in a different time. Not trying to sound like an idiot or a legend or some shit. But grew up around my dad and uncles. One of my uncles killed a 391 bull long before LE. And my dad and uncles killed alot more great animals back in the day. Difference was back then u didn't have to manage. Today with pressure u do.

Anyway to the story. I was 11 yrs old. Me and my dad. My Dad said he seen a buck that might go 30. 1993. He takes me Thanksgiving break. We hunt hard for him. Long hikes. Cold days. Last day of the season. My dad tells me. U the shooter. Don't have a tag. Only his. Youth hunt before the youth hunt. Right or wrong idk but against the law.

We hike alot. U would underestimate the miles.

Last day young deer rutting the does 10am. My dad asks do u want to shoot him. 125 130ish deer. Passing of the torch shit going on. Kinda. I say no.

Because my dad said there's a huge deer up here. Maybe 30. My dad's pation is mule deer. Mine is elk.

My dad just doing what his dad taught him. My dad has hunted and found huge mule deer sheds. No shit 200 to 269. 269 cause he has the shed.

We bummed out. Walking down the ridge 2 hrs till dark. All the sudden huge buck. With a huge pile of does. Looked 30 from back side. Honest. Turned out true 27 5x5 dark horned giant. Never seen an animal live running away from my dad that he took a shot at.

Biggest difference fwp didn't have to mange back then. They have to limit it now.

Biggest difference fwp didn't have to mange back then. They have to limit it now.
Pre-1990 there was 2-3x as many deer in SW Montana too, the population cratered in the early 90s, they just set the population goal/bar lower afterward and moved on. I don't believe their historic population models... I saw it with my own eyes. The latest mule deer 'review' or what ever you want to call it suggests that the MD population in R3 is the same today as it was in the 80s +/-.

You're right they didn't have to manage, because they sucked so bad at counting they thought they were doing a good job.

Love to see that 269 shed or set?

Just telling a true story. The thing is my dad. After he killed that 27 incher said not the same deer he seen. Before. That spring of 1994 he found 2 sets bigger than the one he killed. My opinion on what he said was the lesser set he found In 1994 was the big one. Wide.

Was killed. Know who the hunter was and where it is. The rack. Old mount. Shed found by my dad in 1991. When it was killed, had declined. 210s

Antler radar. What idea. I chase big bulls. No deer in mt otc worth my time.

Granted it 269 matching other side. It didn't. Other side more normal. But junk

Hunting mule deer in Western Montana can be an exciting and rewarding experience, given the diverse terrain and healthy deer populations in the region. Here’s a guide to help you with your mule deer hunting adventure:

1. Research and Preparation

• Understand the Regulations: Check the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks (FWP) website for specific hunting regulations, seasons, and licensing requirements. Rules can vary by district.
  • Map Out Areas: Western Montana offers various hunting areas with different terrains. Familiarize yourself with areas such as the Bitterroot Valley, Flathead National Forest, or the Missouri Breaks. Look for areas known for good mule deer populations.

2. Gear and Equipment

• Firearm/Bow: Depending on your preference, ensure your rifle or bow is in good working condition and suitable for the hunting range. Mule deer can be spotted at varying distances, so a reliable scope or bow sight is essential.
  • Clothing: Dress in layers to adapt to changing weather conditions. Waterproof and windproof outer layers are crucial due to the variable weather.
  • Gear: Binoculars with a high magnification (10x42 is common), a rangefinder, and a sturdy backpack for carrying gear and game are important.

3. Scouting

• Pre-season Scouting: Spend time in the area before the season to familiarize yourself with the landscape, deer patterns, and potential food and water sources.
  • Trail Cameras: Use trail cameras to monitor deer activity and identify patterns or preferred locations.

4. Hunting Techniques

• Spot and Stalk: Western Montana’s terrain is ideal for spot-and-stalk hunting. Use binoculars to locate deer from a distance, then carefully stalk within range.
  • Glassing: Early morning and late afternoon are the best times for glassing, as deer are more active during these periods. Look for deer in open meadows, on slopes, and near water sources.
  • Hunting in the Rut: The rut typically occurs in November. During this time, bucks are more active and may be easier to spot as they chase does.

5. Safety and Ethics

• Know Your Target: Ensure you have a clear shot to avoid wounding the animal. Mule deer can be elusive and quick, so take your time to line up a clean shot.
  • Follow Safety Protocols: Always be aware of your surroundings and follow firearm safety rules. Inform someone about your hunting plans and carry a map and compass or GPS device.

6. Field Dressing and Processing

• Field Dressing: Once you’ve harvested a deer, field dress it as soon as possible to preserve the meat. This involves removing the internal organs and cooling the meat.
  • Processing: You can process the meat yourself or take it to a local processor. Make sure to keep it cool and properly stored to avoid spoilage.

7. Respect Landowners and Public Lands

• Private Land: Obtain permission from landowners if hunting on private property.
  • Public Land: Respect the rules and guidelines for hunting on public lands and practice Leave No Trace principles to preserve the environment.
By following these guidelines, you’ll increase your chances of a successful and enjoyable mule deer hunt in Western Montana. Good luck and stay safe!
sincerely, ChatGPT
welcome to hunttalk
Damn, I thought Bill Christy was back for a second.

269 side.
There used to be a thread called Frankenbuck or something where they’d take certain measurements off of animals that people had killed and add them all together to see how big of a buck they could come up with. Pretty sure the main beams on that shed would up the score quite a bit. They don’t even look real.

Edit- here’s the thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back