Ugly guns

Working guns don't have to be ugly. Here's a couple of man-killers converted to hunting rifles.
View attachment 331705
This Springfield has killed a couple hundred animals over the last sixty years.
View attachment 331709
404 Jeffery built on a Czech Brno vz.24.
Both guns were built to work but also easy on the eyes.
That next to last Springfield, does it still have the two stage military trigger in it? I have a Springfield I inherited from a very close friend. Done in 1945 by Paul Jaeger. has the two stage trigger and It is my most favorite trigger I've ever used. Seems to me the take up loads your finger and the over travel just won't let you jerk it. Of course is a fairly light release but can't really measure it. Haven't figured out hot to tell where the take up ends when attached to a scale!

That next to last Springfield, does it still have the two stage military trigger in it? I have a Springfield I inherited from a very close friend. Done in 1945 by Paul Jaeger. has the two stage trigger and It is my most favorite trigger I've ever used. Seems to me the take up loads your finger and the over travel just won't let you jerk it. Of course is a fairly light release but can't really measure it. Haven't figured out hot to tell where the take up ends when attached to a scale!
No, I got rid of it for Timney several years ago. The trigger in it did have a take-up screw with lock nut but take up the first stage and it would jump the sear if jarred. Anyway, I don't care for two stage at all. And I am deadly with that Timney shooting offhand or on the fly. I think two stage military triggers were designed for drafted GIs who didn't know how to shoot. Or maybe they are more practical when wearing gloves? Does not work for me. I do not like guessing when the gun will go off. Changing to Timney improved my bench group at least 30%.

Note that the Timney trigger shoe in the Mauser has been significantly reshaped. The used stock I picked up recently has a much thinner wrist than military Mauser stock. To pull the tangs together I had to shorten the rear action screw and shave a bit of metal off the top of magazine box. But then the Timney trigger was up against the inside of trigger guard. I removed the trigger, put it in a vice, heated the shoe red hot, and simply reshaped it with a heavy set of long needle nose pliers. Timney trigger has no plastic parts so heating it up was no problem. My finger is now nicely cradled in the crook of that curved shoe.

Last edited:
Maybe? I wouldn't find a lightweight bare muzzle 300 rum enjoyable to shoot so sure on that front. You seem to be a m700 guy, which I do find to be attractive rifles in any of the traditional CDL, BDL, ADL configs. If you have a bunch of savages, yeah, they ugly. Big whoop.

I'm pretty sure i've seen @ismith bemoan recoil pads as ugly. I had an hr at the range yesterday and shot 50-60 rounds combined from 2 centerfires. That would have been less enjoyable if one of them was a sporter weight 30-06 with a butt plate rather than a pad.

Not sure why you feel the need to laugh at everything I say in regard to the topic. I've never stated that traditional, attractive, wood stocked rifles are a limiting factor to anyone hunting successfully. I'd be all for having more attractive wood stocked options, especially if they fit what I want for ergos. The Sako 95 hunter looks pretty close! The trend to desire AR style chassis, carbon barrels, elaborate fluting, gaudy colors, etc almost entirely for aesthetic reasons is dumb to me too so we could have some common ground there..
My RUM identifies me I guess. I love the cartridge and the rifle I have. It's not my only rifle used though. I agree about the aesthetics you described. Too much unnecessary additions. Common ground for sure. mtmuley

I have a 700 ADL my parents gave me when I graduated high school. That rifle has killed a mountain of coyotes with its old weaver 3x9. I did finally re stock it last year, but other than that, the rifle just always works and does it’s job.

I have a 700 ADL my parents gave me when I graduated high school. That rifle has killed a mountain of coyotes with its old weaver 3x9. I did finally re stock it last year, but other than that, the rifle just always works and does it’s job.

Anybody who can fill a tag using a Weaver is a certified, bonafide killer in my books.

I bought one from Walmart in the mid or late 90's, can't remember for sure. It shoots really well. I still use it. .30-06. Not a bad gun in my opinion. It was my only high powered rifle for about a decade.
I've got a 700 ADL from the late 90's. Got as a present in 243. Today the plastic stock is gone, replaced with another 700 ADL take off stock. Replaced the barrel with a LiLja in 260 Rem. Rifle actually looks a lot better without that plastic stock!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
george84
Back