Ugly guns

How about a Biesen rifle on at least its 2nd barrel. Shoots 1/2 inch 100 yard groups. A true pleasure to shoot.
It’s a gorgeous rifle and it probably works well. From a strictly shooting standpoint there are ugly rifles that would be more enjoyable to put a bunch of ammo down range.

I am not bothered that you choose to prioritize appearance over practicality in your choice of rifle. That doesn’t seem to be the case in reverse though..

Last edited:
It’s a gorgeous rifle and it probably works well. From a strictly shooting standpoint there are ugly rifles would be more enjoyable to put a bunch of ammo down range.

I am not bothered that you choose to prioritize appearance over practicality in your choice of rifle. That doesn’t seem to be the case in reverse though..
I know you aren't AI, but that post is close. mtmuley

I'm still waiting for a "high end" Savage. Lol

I have 2 Savage rifles with low end Vortex optics.
Crossfire II actually.
They have their flaws.
But they do what I want them to do. Namely, shoot game.
Do I have "better" scopes? Yes.
But I have a problem with replacing something that works.
Scopes, trucks, cartridges.

Shoot what works. I have two vipers that killed animals. One with one hit and the other took a few rounds but that wasn’t a scope issue.

I'm a firm believer that if I feel good with my gun then I'll shoot it well (and this works for me so don't chew me out). That includes looks, feel, accuracy, cartridge, trigger, etc. If the whole package isn't what I want it to be like then I do not have the confidence with it that I have with something that is perfect. Aesthetics also carries with it pride of ownership.

That's not to say other people can't have great success with a savage axis or a tikka in the ugly ass rokstock, but you will never see either in my hands for a hunt.

Wish I would have been smart enough and had the means to snag a bunch of the Wal-Mart ADL rifles back in the day. mtmuley
I bought one from Walmart in the mid or late 90's, can't remember for sure. It shoots really well. I still use it. .30-06. Not a bad gun in my opinion. It was my only high powered rifle for about a decade.

I have a whole bunch of rifles you would deem ugly and not enjoyable to shoot. Fricken funny. mtmuley

Maybe? I wouldn't find a lightweight bare muzzle 300 rum enjoyable to shoot so sure on that front. You seem to be a m700 guy, which I do find to be attractive rifles in any of the traditional CDL, BDL, ADL configs. If you have a bunch of savages, yeah, they ugly. Big whoop.

I'm pretty sure i've seen @ismith bemoan recoil pads as ugly. I had an hr at the range yesterday and shot 50-60 rounds combined from 2 centerfires. That would have been less enjoyable if one of them was a sporter weight 30-06 with a butt plate rather than a pad.

Not sure why you feel the need to laugh at everything I say in regard to the topic. I've never stated that traditional, attractive, wood stocked rifles are a limiting factor to anyone hunting successfully. I'd be all for having more attractive wood stocked options, especially if they fit what I want for ergos. The Sako 95 hunter looks pretty close! The trend to desire AR style chassis, carbon barrels, elaborate fluting, gaudy colors, etc almost entirely for aesthetic reasons is dumb to me too so we could have some common ground there..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SamS
Back