Two rifles, One Caliber?

I load for my hunting partner's Kimber .308 and I also have a .308. Happened to have two sets of .308 dies, his name is one set. The other thing is his uses Barnes brass and I am using Lapua. Both loads are using AR-Comp and 130 TTSX. Don't have a clue how they work in each other rifle.

Yes. Unless everything else was consistent between the two guns, certain loadings will always shoot better to specific rifles.

If I had 2 rifles of the same chambering they’d probably be for different use cases and thus might have different loads to fit said use case. I don’t keep barrels that need a certain load in order to shoot well so I can’t see needing to “find a load” for each rifle.

I’ve got a couple of rifles and the same caliber. They don’t use the same load, cause they’re different cartridges. One is a 7-08 and one is a 7 SAUM, but both are 7mm.

I have three 22-250s two savage and one Remington. The load I shoot was developed for a friend's 22-250 but all mine like it too.

So I'd say it's possible. Might just take some time to figure it out

Both of mine shoot same factory ammo excellent. It's convenient.
My 300 mag it will shoot 165 hand loads and 180 power point factory same spot. It’s nice use the 165 for deer and if I decide to take it for moose then I just bring out the 180 factory

My brother fills his tags almost every year. Good hunter, good shot, incredible condition and I think he’s taken one or two elk at over 300 yards. My reloads in his rifle shoot about 1 1/2 groups. They run 1/2 moa in my rifle. Nothing wrong with building loads for both rifles, hell I’d rather reload and shoot than play golf. You may find the daughter’s gun more accurate. Unless she’s going to be reaching way out there not sure I’d worry about it very much if your pet load shoots 1 1/2 or better in her rifle.
I'd rather have brain surgery than play golf! 😁😁😁

My first rifle was a .270 that I developed hand loads for. Later I wanted a stainless plastic stock gun - so I got a Winchester Model 70 “classic” in stainless with the BOSS system on it. I was able to tune the BOSS system to the same load I was already loading.

Loading the same cartridge for one or more rifles would simplify reloading. Might need different powders and bullets, but nothing else. Thing is that most of the common stuff is more alike than it is different. A .280 Rem or .280AI should pretty much handle anything that most folks are likely to hunt.

@popeyoung12,
Do yourself a favor and ditch the sled!!
It does nothing but induce bad shooting habits!

To the OP,
I have (2) 25-06 rifles. Both are Rugers.
One is a 77 MKII and the other is a #1.
I keep the brass/cartridges separate, even though I am shooting the same bullet and powder.

Different powder charge weight, as well as different COAL for both.

@popeyoung12,
Do yourself a favor and ditch the sled!!
It does nothing but induce bad shooting habits!

To the OP,
I have (2) 25-06 rifles. Both are Rugers.
One is a 77 MKII and the other is a #1.
I keep the brass/cartridges separate, even though I am shooting the same bullet and powder.

Different powder charge weight, as well as different COAL for both.
I only use the sled to zero a rifle. After 50 years, 250 gun and 120 bowkills, I think my habits are just fine.

Last edited:
I load for my hunting partner's Kimber .308 and I also have a .308. Happened to have two sets of .308 dies, his name is one set. The other thing is his uses Barnes brass and I am using Lapua. Both loads are using AR-Comp and 130 TTSX. Don't have a clue how they work in each other rifle.
I had two 243's, a 700 and a Mossberg Patriot. Both had their own set of dies and both used different loads best. But the case's for one rifle wouldn't chamber in the other! I partial size all my ammo to fit the chamber. Never tried to make one load that would work in both rifles. Don't see the point it in if I own both rifles. I'd bet you could work up some load that would work in both rifles but think I'd use the same case's in both rifles!

My hand loads are target dependant. When loading for same calibers in different rifles for hunting they both run the same load if they are able to consistently hit within the kill zone. I see no point of needing 1/2" MOA for an 8" target zone. If you happen to be one of the guys that likes to take the left wing off a mosquito at 250 yds then I admire the effort it took to develop the load. I don't hunt mosquitoes!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrentR
Back