Kenetrek Boots

Tripod recommendations

Idahoarcheryhunter

Looking for recommendations on a lighter weight tripod. Currently have an aluminum that I don’t mind but packing it for much distance sucks. Mainly glassing with 12’s and any recommendations on a good pan head? Thanks.

Slik 734 isn’t bad, I also use a va5 head. I picked it up after somebody upgraded at a pretty significant discount

Manfrotto befree live carbon fiber tripod. Manfrotto befree live pan head.

I tried the sirui vA5 head too, but it is heavier IIRC, and I just liked the befree head better.

My setup is 3 lbs. Works well for everything from binos to 82mm spotter. 20240616_173820.jpg

Mine has flickloks, looks like BH photo has twistlock version available now for $310

Last edited:

Got an Aziak backcountry lite tripod for Christmas and been impressed, especially given the minimal weight. Got their light weight head last summer and it’s ok but not as smooth as I would like, hard to find anything lighter though. Use with 10x binos & 40x spotter.

I run a Sirui st124 tripod with a va5 head for everything. I'm guessing alot of people here do similar. Runs around $275

I take that into backcountry and from the road and never regret it.
X2, Sirui st124 with Spartan Davros pro head gen 2

Just got an Aziak backcountry with Tricer LP

Have not even got to take it to the field yet, but it is smooth and extremely light. Looking forward to using it.

A couple years back I picked up a Slik, 624 I believe, with a head for $204 off of Amazon. Great deal. Tripod was about 2 lbs.

Rydell makes a great tripoid at Aziak, the Spartan is a whole system and can do a lot more. Both built well.

If your looking for a tripod I have a slik that I’m selling.

I really like the Sirui A-1205 WY11 head i got from Doug at cameraland. It was under 200 last year when I got it. I spent a lot of time behind it last year with my binos and am really happy with it.

I own tripods from Outdoorsmean, RRS, Slik and Sirui

You’d be hard pressed to get better than a Slik 634cf . for weight and money. Don’t go for the 624 …

Last edited:
Picked up a aziak front country from rydell at a Sitka event. Super nice guy. I love the ball head design that you can lock in to make tilt and pan easier. The ability to tighten the friction on the ball is a nice feature also. My hunting partner bought the back country version also. I prefer the front country because it is a taller tripod, with the ability to use while standing. But if the intended use is only back counrty, we rarely glass stabbing up so the back country would work just fine. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Looking for recommendations on a lighter weight tripod. Currently have an aluminum that I don’t mind but packing it for much distance sucks. Mainly glassing with 12’s and any recommendations on a good pan head? Thanks.
I typically prefer to go with carbon fiber tripods like the Sirui or Leofoto models—they’re much lighter than aluminum and very robust. For a pan head, the Really Right Stuff Anvil-30 or the Outdoorsmans Pan Head are both solid options for glassing with 12’s. They’re smooth, lightweight, and built to last for professional shooting in the harshest environments.

I just got a Leopold alpine tripod. I think another company produces these, perhaps Lefoto? I like it except for the ball head. I replaced it for a fluid head.

I own tripods from Outdoorsmean, RRS, Slik and Sirui

You’d be hard pressed to get better than a Slik 634cf . for weight and money. Don’t go for the 624 …

Agreed, Slik 634cf with a Benro pan head works just fine for my needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back