Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

“Traditional” First Aid vs “Wilderness” First Aid Course

Traditional vs Wilderness

• Total voters

mxracer317

Looking for feedback based on experiences.

Has anyone done either the “wilderness” first aid course or the “traditional” (Red Cross equivalent) first aid course?

I’ve been hunting my whole life, but with my wife coming out for her first time hunt this archery elk season, I’m feeling a pull to get a little better prepared than just my inreach and basic first aid kit with the basics. Ha!

The “wilderness” course is a two day course through NOLS, and I feel it might be a little overkill for what the average hunter might require??

Obviously more is better… But…

Just wondering if a “traditional” type, 1 day course would be extremely helpful this archery and rifle season? I don’t know how in-depth they would go into lacerations or broken bones, etc.

PS. I’m considering having my entire office take the course, and for anyone who watched “The Office” might recall that awesome scene with Dwight Schrute and the cut off face and can’t promise that I won’t do the same to my staff. 😂

Wasn’t aware of the two day NOLS class. Their wilderness first responder class (80 hours) is the premier first aid training I know of. Their two day class is probably very similar to the red cross class but may be more focused on back country situations which could be valuable. The Red Cross class is pretty straight forward and common sense. I haven’t taken the NOLS class but will be looking into it for my next renewal.

Do the WFA, you won't regret it. I did the 80 hr WFR about 20 years ago at the Yellowstone institute in the Lamar Valley in early November and it was awesome, would do it again if I had the time.

This is a good book, worth reading before or after whichever course you take.

Wilderness Medical Society Practice Guidelines.

Traditional first aid, at least the course I took through work, is a lot of practicing “You! Go get help. You! Grab the first aid kit and AED!” It’s good for getting basic info and the most up-to-date recommendations on CPR, etc., but not all of it is applicable to hunting/outdoor situations.

The 80-hr NOLS was invaluable. I hope to take it again for sure. I’d definitely take a 2-day WFA.

My experience with Red Cross style first aid is something that you'd do if you were in a city...CPR, Heimlich, and yelling at people to call an ambulance. Most of the course was watching an online video

Wilderness First Aid, included splinting, hypothermia, bandages. Far superior but you probably should grab a CPR class. I took the Aerie course that did basic CRP on Friday night and then WFA all day Saturday.

I took a wilderness first aid course through the BSA before we led a Scout group to Northern Tier. That was a canoe/portaging trip through the Quetico and the Boundary Waters.
The doctor that taught most of the course was really good and covered a lot of improvised first aid that you might encounter in the backcountry. That is stuff that a regular first aid course may not cover.

Wilderness will definitely cover more than a traditional first aid course. A lot better when you're going to be in the backcountry or a few miles from the truck.

I did a WFA class back in high-school for a trip. I should look in to doing a refresher.

Last edited:
Experience...the Nam.
30 + years in construction. Basic 1st aid courses.
EMT-II 16 years and 20 as a Park Ranger.

EMT years and prior trauma experience gave me the basics.
I can split, and try and stop bleeding, CPR.
Getting a patient safely off the mountain to help.
Real help.

Wilderness survival classes and S&R work you get the gist of what to use for splits and such in the field. Stopping blood loss is a big one.

Two day WFA was worth my time overall. Much more focused on the assumption that the cavalry isn’t just a quick 911 call away. A lot of it was admittedly a common sense primer, but I learned a few things as well.

I did the same course as MThuntr with a CPR class the Friday night before.

I really liked the NOLS WFA course booked through my local REI but it was fairly basic-- mostly assess, stabilize and then get ahold of someone who knows what they're doing. Would like to go do the WFR certification eventually.

Can anyone speak to the differences between Wilderness First Responder and Wilderness EMT? It seems like WFR would be more useful for people in the field, whereas the WEMT is for folks in the ambulance, but I can't confirm that. It seems like WFA would be a great first step either way.

I really liked the NOLS WFA course booked through my local REI but it was fairly basic-- mostly assess, stabilize and then get ahold of someone who knows what they're doing. Would like to go do the WFR certification eventually.
That’s the same one I’m looking at doing —through REI. Worth it?

My work requires me to take WFA and I've been through about a dozen courses in the past 20 years or so. Thinking back, things have really changed in just about everything from CPR, wound management, massive trauma, splinting, tourniquets, etc. etc. etc.

Nothing against the red cross versions, but the WFA courses are essentially translatable to anything you'd find in an urban setting, but not so much the other way around.

The WFA courses I've taken, you have lots of hands-on practice, scenarios, etc. and that is invaluable repetition when the chit hits the fan in a real situation.

I'm debating about taking the WFR course this winter, but being within 4 years of retiring, I don't know how much sense it makes at this point. I'll decide based on workload this winter, that looks to be pretty massive at this point.

When I found my neighbor unresponsive in his yard a couple years ago, I was surprised how the repetition in the scenario's we practiced sort of all came together in a real situation. My other neighbor, who came over to help, was pretty impressed with how I handled it. The EMT's that showed up were also pretty surprised when I ran down the SOAP note while they took over the situation. Neighbor made a full recovery after a couple days in the hospital and needing a surgery.

IMO, I don't want to work in the woods with anyone that hasn't had a WFA course.

Can anyone speak to the differences between Wilderness First Responder and Wilderness EMT? It seems like WFR would be more useful for people in the field, whereas the WEMT is for folks in the ambulance, but I can't confirm that. It seems like WFA would be a great first step either way.
Wilderness EMT requires an EMT certification first, then a WFR course to add the wilderness part, although I think some companies roll the whole thing into like a 6 week course... generally the people I see with that level of cert are in safety roles for bigger guide companies or wildfire safety, not as much recreational level of certification.

if you are going to do WFA or WFR it's pretty much worth jumping into the WFR first, as far as I know, you can't really upgrade the WFA, but if you take the WFR most WFA courses are accepted as a recent of the WFR.

one thing to note is to take either one from one of the bigger providers that have reciprocity if you need the cert for work, lots of the small local providers aren't recognized broadly, and you run the risk of not having a valid cert, stick to NOLS, Solo, WMI, and their accredited programs if possible.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eagleeye2024
Back