NEW SITKA Ambient 75

To hang bear bags or not to hang bear bags when backcountry hunting.

At backcountry campsites such as in Yellowstone NP, where there are hanging rails and established food prep and eating areas, it is irresponsible to have food in tents which are in areas away from the food areas.
I agree 100%. If there are specific rules at the place you're camping, follow the rules. If I thought the place was anything like Yellowstone in terms of bear/human interactions, no way in heck would I keep food in the tent. In that case I'd go full "Bear Aware" and eat away from where I'm sleeping, hang the Ursack 100+ yds from where I'm sleeping, etc.

If it's just black bears but there are a lot in the area and the area regularly has hikers/campers, I'm a little less concerned about where I eat but I still use the Ursack. If in an area with very few bears and no history of interactions, sure, food in the tent.

A 10. Given my choice. I choose Super model. But what I have is a Glock 10 mill long action and a short action. 220 grain Buffalo bore.

Hanging your food certainly works if done correctly. It doesn't have to be a super special bag or anything. Just make sure any food contents are wrapped in ziplocks or other airtight bags and hang it. So basically all the food is in airtight bags and then all those bags go inside the hanging bag. I have left caches for 6 months straight (June - Nov) hanging in a tree for several years. Only issue I ever had was one year I hung it in a slightly different spot (I was worried about two legged thieves seeing it) and hung it in a spot where a few very small branches were next to it and some birds pecked a hole in my hanging bag. They didn't get any food. This is in an area with lots of bears.

Like others I have had more issues with the little critters over the years than I ever have with the big ones. I don't leave anything laying on the ground wherever I go, bears or not. Chewed up gear is no fun to deal with, regardless of how big the animal is that does it.

I’m less worried about bears while I am in camp than bears or any number of other critters eating my food and destroying my gear to get at my food while I am not around. I’ve had mice and packrats eat holes in my tent, backpack, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, dry bags, packraft, life jacket and boots both while asleep and while away from camp. I’ve had a wolf knock over my teepee and steal my friends brand new sleeping bag. That was day 2 of an 10 day packraft moose hunt in Alaska. Thankfully I found it a couple hundred yards down a bear trail and we were able to patch it up with some tyvek tape.

Other friends have had bears destroy their camp. One guy I know even had his tent completely trampled and chewed up by mountain goats. I’m practically paranoid about it anymore and don’t leave anything on the ground at night or while away from camp. Sometimes I even pack up my sleeping setup and hang it in a drybag.
You are not invited to backpack hunt with me. LOL

Obviously you don't camp in Montana.
I wish I did it more often. But don't forget I said "an area with very few bears and no history of interactions", which rules out most of the camping/backpacking areas in Montana! My home state of Washington is a different story.

The only place I don't hang my food in bear country is Northern Saskatchewan since all we have are blackies and I keep my food in bear safe containers or coolers.

No way in hell I'm leaving food, where I'm sleeping, if there are grizzlies around. I usually hang my food in a dry bag.

Also, nothing is more annoying than a f'n mouse at 2 in the morning chewing and scratching at your sh*t.

On the matter of food storage, I see no difference between black and brown bears. Hang it high and out of reach.

In CO, my buddy left his Pringles and Doritos in his pack on the ground during a few hour day hike. A black bear sniffed and tore right through it.

I rarely hang anything (besides meat).

All food, utensils, trash, and food-like items (toothpaste) goes into bear canisters (Mine are BearVault brand). They come at a weight/bulk penalty, but to me it is worth not messing with hanging stuff from trees.

I never, ever cook (or even eat so much as a candy bar) where I camp. And I don't mean I cook 100 yards away, more like 1/2 mile or more.

To me, it's an efficient way to safely camp in bear country. I haven't had any issues, and if I thought I would change my ways.

So what bags are you all using?? A quick Google search gives a wide swath of bear bags. Anyone have a favorite go-to bag?
Just a standard roll top dry bag. Nothing crazy or expensive. I might add some reflective tape this year to make it easier to find in the AM. I usually hang mine a couple hundred yards from camp.

Advertisement

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back