To hang bear bags or not to hang bear bags when backcountry hunting.

Hanging bear bags is rarely worthwhile or effective.

I use an Ursack when I'm in territory where I think bears may have been habituated to people's food (pretty much anywhere on the PCT or similarly-popular trails, etc), or any time I'm in grizzly country. Otherwise, I just keep food in the tent with me. Always in a waterproof and/or odourproof bag to keep rodents at bay.

I use an Ursack when I'm in territory where I think bears may have been habituated to people's food (pretty much anywhere on the PCT or similarly-popular trails, etc), or any time I'm in grizzly country. Otherwise, I just keep food in the tent with me. Always in a waterproof and/or odourproof bag to keep rodents at bay.
That’s interesting, never heard of bear bags.

I am horrible about hanging food. I will keep it all in one food bag and hang it off the ground to keep away from mice and such at night but have never gone through the effort to hang it up high besides philmont when it was required. I’ve never had an issue.

Hunting in griz country this year though and will be taking the necessary precautions. I like the idea of the bag though.

If you are going to hang a bear bag, be sure to do it so that it is effective. I've seen so many (mine included) hangs that wouldn't have stopped a bear if it had no legs. In some areas it is also difficult to find trees that are appropriate. A lot of southern Wyoming burned a few years ago, so it may be hard to find a suitable tree. Other option is to bring a canister, which a bear may not get into, but he may move it quite a distance while trying to. Oftentimes, I'm less concerned about bears, but mice and other rodents. I've always just used a dry bag - the idea is that the bear can't access it. I shouldn't need a bear proof bag if the bear can't get to it in the first place...

Like everyone else is saying, I'd hang anything I don't want chewed on even in a place where there's zero bears of any kind. I don't want any critters, big or small, making a snack of my food and sending me packing early.

I lost an entire bag of tortillas by setting them on the ground and turning my back to hang my bear bag. First of a four night backpacking trip in Glacier. Chewed up and gone in less than a minute. On another Glacier trip there were reports of marmots chewing through tents to steal people's socks and t-shirts that they'd laid out to let the sweat dry. I've had big chunks of cork chewed off of trekking pole handles while I fished for a few hours. Those rodents don't frick around.

Here's my method. Works well in burn areas and anywhere else that doesn't have a perfectly long overhanging branch to fling a rope over. I just use cheapo Coleman roll top dry bags.

1722005866520.jpeg

Last edited:
Playing with fire in grizz areas imho.
I'm surprised to see that every single person here hangs their food every time no matter what. I never do and have never had any hint of an issue but 🤷‍♂️
Yeah I’ve never hung my food either.
When forkyfinder and I were out, we didn’t either… left the grill out and everything, we were camped at a trailhead but we were the only ones there, and there is def griz in there! 🤣

if I get that spooky feeling, or see a ton of bear sign, I’d probably hang it…
Hate to end up like that lady in Ovando

Yeah I’ve never hung my food either.
When forkyfinder and I were out, we didn’t either… left the grill out and everything, we were camped at a trailhead but we were the only ones there, and there is def griz in there! 🤣

if I get that spooky feeling, or see a ton of bear sign, I’d probably hang it…
Hate to end up like that lady in Ovando
Lol yeah - we were right by the truck and trailhead too

The bigger concern should always be where you cook your food. If you hang your food and then bring it to your tent to cook and eat it and cover your camp in food smell is far worse than the packaged and sealed food. IMO this all only really applies to bears that are conditioned to people. If a bear who rarely encounters people catches a wiff of your human odor and smells human piss he is going to turn away.

The articles you posted are just saying that hanging doesn't work as well as cannisters. There is no doubt that bear bags are inferior to cannisters, which is why areas with frequent bear issues are increasingly mandating the cannisters, but that's a far cry from putting food in the tent with you. That's just a bad idea for you, your gear and the bears. Even in areas with low bear-human interactions, you're rolling the dice.

Looking for some advice. Me and a buddy are heading out to bow hunt elk in Southern Wyoming, in a area where black bears are present. We'll be hiking in away from the truck for a few days.

We'll be packing in typical backcountry food ie; Mountain House (or the like) meals and prepackaged foods.

Do you think taking the time to hang food in a bear bag every day is necessary, or would you risk just keeping your packaged foods in your tent?

Thanks.
I wouldn't store food in the tent and don't camping. Bears are common where I live and most don't bother humans. However, some have gotten used to a easy meal and get smart. They even figure out how to open or pry open the bear resistant trash bins the DNR puts out to keep them from finding food in the wildlife management areas. Those bins are 1/4 inch or so thick steel with the hidden latches.

This is an interesting thread. I'm considering the weight of a canister. Tree limbs are easy to find in the east. Evergreen pines and spruce is something I haven't hung a bag in yet. I may try to practice and let my experience help with the decision. I would love to hear about other's experience with the evergreen trees.

The articles you posted are just saying that hanging doesn't work as well as cannisters. There is no doubt that bear bags are inferior to cannisters, which is why areas with frequent bear issues are increasingly mandating the cannisters, but that's a far cry from putting food in the tent with you. That's just a bad idea for you, your gear and the bears. Even in areas with low bear-human interactions, you're rolling the dice.
The argument isn't that they work less well, it's that they don't work. No doubt, if you have the trees like the image Beinet posted, maybe it's simply less effective than canisters but still effective.

Rolling the dice is an apt metaphor: we're always playing probability games with any risk. You don't have to keep food in your tent, but every time you eat near your tent, wear deodorant, or keep the clothes you ate in in the tent with you, you're "rolling the dice" because there's always a nonzero chance of a bear coming to get you.

We evaluate the risks we're presented with and make the best choices we can. I'm not telling you to keep food in your tent when I do. But I am telling you that unless you do a perfect job hanging your food, you're not actually reducing the risks of the bear getting to it.

Never had a bear get into a hang ever. Isn’t rocket science…
Storing food in your tent is for the lazy and unimaginative.
I cook my food where the food hang is.

Back