To hang bear bags or not to hang bear bags when backcountry hunting.

dannyb278

Looking for some advice. Me and a buddy are heading out to bow hunt elk in Southern Wyoming, in a area where black bears are present. We'll be hiking in away from the truck for a few days.

We'll be packing in typical backcountry food ie; Mountain House (or the like) meals and prepackaged foods.

Do you think taking the time to hang food in a bear bag every day is necessary, or would you risk just keeping your packaged foods in your tent?

Thanks.

I've always been curious about this too. I'll be in the southern 1/2 of the Wyoming Range (is that where you'll be?) this year and even wondered about the rare chance of a grizzly in that area and if that changes anything with respect to bear bags/hanging the freeze dried food?

I always hung bags when in bear country.
I would upgrade to new cans, like my bro did. Saved his ass several times in the Sierra's & CO.

I’m less worried about bears while I am in camp than bears or any number of other critters eating my food and destroying my gear to get at my food while I am not around. I’ve had mice and packrats eat holes in my tent, backpack, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, dry bags, packraft, life jacket and boots both while asleep and while away from camp. I’ve had a wolf knock over my teepee and steal my friends brand new sleeping bag. That was day 2 of an 10 day packraft moose hunt in Alaska. Thankfully I found it a couple hundred yards down a bear trail and we were able to patch it up with some tyvek tape.

Other friends have had bears destroy their camp. One guy I know even had his tent completely trampled and chewed up by mountain goats. I’m practically paranoid about it anymore and don’t leave anything on the ground at night or while away from camp. Sometimes I even pack up my sleeping setup and hang it in a drybag.

I use to keep food in my tent and then my partner had a black bear get in his tent mid day and eat the food so I hang it every time now.

So what bags are you all using?? A quick Google search gives a wide swath of bear bags. Anyone have a favorite go-to bag?

Back