Caribou Gear Tarp

Tell me about your obscure cartridge

Where should I start I have what I’d consider a non-mainstream collection obscure is too far a step maybe.

To start, .327Fed which led to 32H&R, and the .32S&W Long.

Next .41Rem, sold the host pistol, but I’m sitting on about 300 reloads and plenty of fodder for more. Just keep my eyes open for a replacement.

.325WSM becoming more obscure every year I’m afraid.

I thought my 10mm was slipping to .41Rem status for a while. I guess I should thank the Grizzlies for its resurrection. Put 5 different models in my hand yesterday, and ammo is arguably cheap in certain outlets.

Where should I start I have what I’d consider a non-mainstream collection obscure is too far a step maybe.

To start, .327Fed which led to 32H&R, and the .32S&W Long.

Next .41Rem, sold the host pistol, but I’m sitting on about 300 reloads and plenty of fodder for more. Just keep my eyes open for a replacement.

.325WSM becoming more obscure every year I’m afraid.

I thought my 10mm was slipping to .41Rem status for a while. I guess I should thank the Grizzlies for its resurrection. Put 5 different models in my hand yesterday, and ammo is arguably cheap in certain outlets.
I think the 10mm has become the new 45. I have several pistols and revolver in 10mm. Carry the XDM elite 10mm daily.

I don’t have anything cool, as in older rounds. 300 savage and an inbound 6.5x.284

Attachments

• IMG_9026.jpeg
    IMG_9026.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 6
I stumbled across the 6.5 Rem Mag the other day. Anyone ever had one of these relics of the 60's?

In the 70's my dad guided a group of guys that worked for Winchester. One of the hunters told dad if he got his antelope with one shot he would give dad the rest of his ammo. As luck would have it, the hunter seceded in a one shot kill. At the end of the hunt the hunter was good to his word. Dad was the new owner of a case of 225win ammo with one round missing. Was a good excuse to get a new gun. Turned that gun into a beat around the ranch pickup gun. Shot a lot of coyotes with it.

I have had a urge for years to get a 250-3000. Not obscure but working hard on it. had planned on the 260 I had put together on being a 250-3000 but had a hard time figuring out where I'd get case's. For a deer gun I have felt for years it was the most over looked cartridge out there. Case's is why I went 260, I have a ton of 308 case's and always easy to get more. I think with about a 115gr or 117gr bullet the 250-3000 is about the perfect deer cartridge.

404 Jeffery. Once fairly obscure, especially in North America, the 404 Jeff has recently become quite popular again. It was the first rimless big bore cartridge designed for Mauser 98 bolt action rifle. First ones came out in 1905. Was a bit of a trick fitting that fat cartridge into a standard action rifle designed for 8mm (Mauser didn't make a magnum action until 1913 exclusively for Rigby's new 416 cartridge). Jeffery cut away the two sides and front of the Mauser 98 bottom metal magazine box, using the opened up wooden stock as magazine box. A piece of tin lined the top of the box to keep cartridge tips from pounding into wood during recoil. The receiver had to be significantly altered to make the larger shells feed and eject. I decided if Jeffery could do it, so could I. Finished my Mauser 98 404 Jeffery just in time for this year's trip to Africa. Sent it off to be blued yesterday.
View attachment 318040
And now it's back. He did a great job.
Ah! A perfect hunting scope!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wowzers
Back