Yeti GOBOX Collection

Tell me about your obscure cartridge

I'm kinda partial to the old former wildcat the .35 Whelen, back in the day the "Poor Man's Magnum". The .358-inch bullets don't offer the highest BC in the world, but I can play around with the 225-grain Sierra Gameking at higher velocities or, if I think I really need it, I can go up to a Woodleigh 310-grain roundnose. My "camp gun" is an M1 and cut down to 16.25-inches in length and rebarreled in .35 Whelen, with Speer 250-grain Hot-Cors.

Saving up to do .577 Snider and 577-450 MH. I lack everything for them including the guns, but probably before the year is out.

I agree. When Gander Mountain went under, I bought every box of ammo and brass in 3 states. I’m set for a couple lifetimes.
I sold a couple boxes of 300 SAUM 165gr NPT Trophy Grade ammo to a gun shop in Abilene, KS. Last I checked it was still there.

Last edited:
Did you get that trigger?
I tried, but he did not have any in stock. He was making a batch and said he would have them done in few weeks and he would call. That was quite a while ago. I should track him down and call again. Gotta find his contact info.

338 RUM. If you don't reload, good luck. Was on the hunt for brass a few years back and every gun show I went to I was pretty much told I was looking for the one thing I wouldn't find anywhere. That has changed a little bit now that Atlas Development Group makes the brass but it is out of stock quite a bit.

I really thought I’d posted on this thread…

My most obscure…

7mm SAUM
.257 Roberts
7x57 Rimmed
.35 Remington

Geez, the .257 Roberts is downright “normal” these days. I love that cartridge…everything you want, nothing you don’t. 117 grains of goodness at 2800 fps.

I've always shot a 16ga. It was pretty rare for the longest time, but has gained a little popularity over the years.

As far as rifles go, I don't know many people around me still shooting a 300SAUM or 35 Remington.

I've always shot a 16ga. It was pretty rare for the longest time, but has gained a little popularity over the years.

As far as rifles go, I don't know many people around me still shooting a 300SAUM or 35 Remington.
Ruger/Marlin is going to be making the 35 Remington. I’m thinking I need one. Finding ammo is the biggest concern though. The rationale part of my brain says it’s not worth it and just stick with the 30-30. But since when do rifle rifles and rational thinking go together??? Haha.

Ruger/Marlin is going to be making the 35 Remington. I’m thinking I need one. Finding ammo is the biggest concern though. The rationale part of my brain says it’s not worth it and just stick with the 30-30. But since when do rifle rifles and rational thinking go together??? Haha.

I inherited a department store brand Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. I threw a 1-4x Vortex on it and carry it deer hunting occasionally. It's a really handy gun, and a cool round to boot. I'm set up to reload for it, just haven't ran out of factory ammo to make myself start working up a load.

When Indiana legalized short fat centerfire rifle cartridges several years ago -vs- shotguns or muzzle loaders only, myself and a buddy had identical .375 Whisper rifles built.
This was before all the nice specialty cartridges like .350 Legend, etc. were mainstream.

Started with Tikka bolt action rifles in .308 and re-barreled to this chambering. The parent case is a 7mm BR which you neck up to .375, then trim to length. Shoots a 250gr pistol bullet quite well out to about 200 yards. I've taken quite a few good whitetails with it.

To date, that buddy and myself are the only ones I'm aware of that own these.

Mine aren't too crazy. Have a 17 hornet as my fox&bobcat gun. Have a 204 ruger also not too obscure. Also 221 fireball.

I have an Italian 6.5 carcano my dad gave me. I have some old ammo for it. My dad said last time he fired it he got some blowback in his face. I’ve never fired it. I’ve thought about cleaning the bore and getting new ammo . . .

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back