Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Suppressor Accuracy on a Previously Unthreaded Barrel

Ought Six

I’ve got a rifle that shoots really, really well, but the barrel isn’t threaded.

Has anyone found a decrease in a rifle’s shooting accuracy from messing with the barrel and threading a suppressor on? Can changes in barrel harmonics or other factors have a big impact on a rifle’s shooting ability?

If it shoots really ( really) well why add suppressor?

I wouldn't touch it. Unless your bench shooting al the time.

If I wanted a suppressor I would put in on a different gun thats already threaded.

I've had a couple of mine threaded for suppressors with no loss of accuracy, if any thing it got better but that's probably due to me not having to deal with the noise and concussion of the muzzle blast.

Yes, I had a Tikka barrel in 7mm-08 cut and threaded for a suppressor by a gunsmith who’s done other great work for me and I could not get decent accuracy with it after that. I don’t know what was wrong with it. I primarily use a CA Ridgeline now with a suppressor and get fantastic results with it. That’s not a plug for CA, just my experience.

I’ve only seen increases in accuracy personally. Usually tames barrel whip and reduces recoil and muzzle blast.

With that said - I’d take a 1 MOA suppressed rifle over a 1/2 MOA ear blaster all day long.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fireguy22
Back