NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Suggestions for a quail gun?

I would go old school myself and find a used, in good shape of course, Ithaca 37.
I have one. 20 gauge. Dad has a 16 and 20 as well, plus a 12 hiding somewhere. Just not my favorite to shoot- usually that’s my squirrel gun, “as is tradition”. I really prefer vent rib on shotguns anymore, plus choke tubes over a fixed mod.

It's hard to beat a well made 20ga or 28ga O/U or SxS. I always think of quail and dove hunting as a time to let the "pretty" guns shine as there is less chance of beating them up on these hunts, at least in Texas. Most of my hunting group employs break guns but there is always someone with an auto. I don't feel like they bring more birds to the tailgate at the end of the day, but I do believe the 3rd, 4th or 5th shot leaves more birds with dropped legs in the field. There is also the aspect of policing spent shells as someone previously mentioned. Birds always seem to be tight to cover where you don't want to stick your hand to pick up a hull.
  • Hard to beat a used Beretta 680 series if you are being budget conscious. I prefer the engraving of the old 687 SPII models and still love the Onyx and remake Onyx Pro. There is something classic about the all black receiver of the funeral guns.
  • Rizzini makes a nice scale frame gun that points well, and you might be about to get a deal on one of the earlier guns imported by Sig. These guns still pop up regularly and are a lot of bank for your buck.
  • I have become a big fan of Zoli in the last couple of years and the Pernice is a beautiful gun. I was skeptical when Zoli USA kept telling me about the recoil impulse being different due to their barrels being set so low in the receiver. After shooting a couple thousand rounds through their guns, I believe they were telling the truth.
Whatever you get enjoy the covey rise. Its a magical thing I never get tired of.

It's hard to beat a well made 20ga or 28ga O/U or SxS. I always think of quail and dove hunting as a time to let the "pretty" guns shine as there is less chance of beating them up on these hunts, at least in Texas. Most of my hunting group employs break guns but there is always someone with an auto. I don't feel like they bring more birds to the tailgate at the end of the day, but I do believe the 3rd, 4th or 5th shot leaves more birds with dropped legs in the field. There is also the aspect of policing spent shells as someone previously mentioned. Birds always seem to be tight to cover where you don't want to stick your hand to pick up a hull.
  • Hard to beat a used Beretta 680 series if you are being budget conscious. I prefer the engraving of the old 687 SPII models and still love the Onyx and remake Onyx Pro. There is something classic about the all black receiver of the funeral guns.
  • Rizzini makes a nice scale frame gun that points well, and you might be about to get a deal on one of the earlier guns imported by Sig. These guns still pop up regularly and are a lot of bank for your buck.
  • I have become a big fan of Zoli in the last couple of years and the Pernice is a beautiful gun. I was skeptical when Zoli USA kept telling me about the recoil impulse being different due to their barrels being set so low in the receiver. After shooting a couple thousand rounds through their guns, I believe they were telling the truth.
Whatever you get enjoy the covey rise. Its a magical thing I never get tired of.
Ordered the Franchi Affinity. But it was less than I had budgeted, so I might get a modestly priced double gun to go with it. 😂

Ordered the Franchi Affinity. But it was less than I had budgeted, so I might get a modestly priced double gun to go with it. 😂
Just to stick my nose in one more time. Look for a Japanese made SKB 20 gauge. With IC/M chokes and a 25.5" barrels or M/F chokes and 27.5" barrels.

I just can't shoot a SxS worth a damn. Tried in college with a friend's gun, maybe hit 10 of 25.
A sample size of one is inadequate. It takes some skill and practice and a desire to learn. It is not hard, however.

In all likelihood, your friend's gun did not fot or perhaps it was and you had just never shot a properly sized snd balance gun.

The first I drove a stick shift, I i stalled half a dozen times. That was on me, not the car.

Been a long time since I've actually went out and targeted quail but have one of two gun's I'd use. Probably first would be my CZ Bobwhite in 28 ga, really like my double triggers. Second or maybe first would be my AyA 28ga. Really got into SxS's over the years. Come to thinkof it I might eve try out my AyA 410. Use it to shoot pigeons for my dogs and if it'll kill a pigeon it should kill a quail! Also have an AyA 16 ga and a CZ Bobwhite 20ga but lot of difference in the handling of the 16 and 20 compared to the 28's.

I have the Ithaca SKB model 100 in 20 gauge SxS and it is very easy handling. I really like thinking it might be my go to "quail" gun along with my O/U 20 Browning. It seems really made for us senior guys. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back