Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Struggling in Idaho…

jpcoll01

I am in McCall with the family and trying to make the best of evening hunts (elk B tag) while working from home during the day. I had several locations picked out prior to coming and apparently picked out some good morning spots to be because the first was loaded with hunters and the second had a bull carcass within 50 yards of my pin on opening evening. I do have tomorrow and Sunday to hunt all day so will be out well before daylight to try to glass up a group and put them to bed. Problem is that glassing is tough around here. It isn’t as thick as the Clearwater but it ain’t Eastern Wyoming either. I’m having trouble identifying decent glassing vantages. Either way I have 5 more days here (two full weekend days and 3 evenings) so I am hoping to get it done. Any pointers on how to hunt an area like this with a lot of pressure? Any advice on how the weather might make the elk move? We had snow yesterday. Lastly, if you are around McCall and would be willing to talk just about general elk trends and movements please send me a PM I’d really appreciate it.

All Idaho OTC units have lots of Hunter pressure. Elk are going to move into Hell hikes to hide. You need to find them.

We haven’t had enough weather to make the elk move. It might slow down the final stages of the rut. Bulls were still with cows as of Tuesday.

Glassing - find a high point you can see a few miles. I’ve hunted that area a few times. Get high and glass. Use a spotter if you have one.

Last edited:
I never found day hunting for elk to be effective. I had to commit at least 5 days and go two states from home. I can't imagine hunting elk without living amongst them . Much less trying to work during my hunt. Best of luck my friend. What you are doing is not easy in the best of circumstances.

Back