Sitka Gear Optifade Cover

Squeezing tomatoes

homestead

This past weekend we made our annual batch of spaghetti sauce. The hand crank squeezo died and I’m thinking of an electric alternative. A meat grinder with tomato attachment seems like a great idea as I could use the grinder for deer. Curious as to the thoughts, opinions and experiences of you guys.

Attachments

• 99367E11-3FF0-4C1E-8F18-84DF7EE691BC.jpeg
    99367E11-3FF0-4C1E-8F18-84DF7EE691BC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
This past weekend we made our annual batch of spaghetti sauce. The hand crank squeezo died and I’m thinking of an electric alternative. A meat grinder with tomato attachment seems like a great idea as I could use the grinder for deer. Curious as to the thoughts, opinions and experiences of you guys.
I use a ninja blender and puree them with skin on. Then they go thru a colander to get the seeds and most the skin out. Then it reduces low and slow over 20 hours, before canning. I have a big meat grinder but have never thought of using it. I do small batches compared to yours. So maybe it makes sense for such large batches. Mine are no more than 8 quarts at a time.

IMG_3283.jpeg

I don't think a blender would suffice. I'm looking to squeeze 2-4 bushel at a time.
Maybe not for you but it goes remarkably fast.

I did more than 2 bushels in the last batch. As a station, my kid could run them thru it as fast as I could prep them. In about an hour we were done and had 60ish cups of juice strained.

Unsure what a tomato squeezo is but would a juicer work? We have the LEM meat grinder and i bought the juicer attachment for it. I have done salsa and lot of apple cider.

This made me look into getting an attachment for my cabelas carnivore grinder as we have a lot of tomatoes coming up. Unfortunately they don’t have any in Canada but they have some in the states. Hopefully they get some in Canada soon or I might have to bite the bullet and order it from the states

I was just looking at the cabelas setup and thought that might be the ticket. I just know I'm done with the hand crank.

I use a ninja blender and puree them with skin on. Then they go thru a colander to get the seeds and most the skin out. Then it reduces low and slow over 20 hours, before canning. I have a big meat grinder but have never thought of using it. I do small batches compared to yours. So maybe it makes sense for such large batches. Mine are no more than 8 quarts at a time.

View attachment 338264
+1 to this comment.

I used to have an old hand crank juicer that worked OK. I was in the middle of a good sized batch of tomatoes when it broke. With no other good option, my wife offered up her Jack Lalane power juicer. Holy cow, what a difference. It worked great. It probably been ten years and I'm still using it.

Back