NEW SITKA Ambient 75

South Dakota Bison

HONEYBADGER

Just learned today that I finally drew a Bison tag in South Dakota. Season runs October 16th through November 15th. I will have to choose a date in that timeframe. I know there are a few guys on this board that have had that tag before.

Would you go early or late?
Where would you stay?
Anything you would change about your trip?

Looking forward to a fun trip.

It’s really a mindless hunt. They do everything for you. If I drew it, I’d pick a day that fits my calendar and camp at the park.

I drew non-trophy bison as well and would also appreciate any tips to help me plan the logistics of the trip. I live about 10 hours away from the park. Recommendations on transporters, butchers, tanners, etc. would be much appreciated (I haven't yet decided whether I want lots of professional help or whether I'm going to try more of a DIY approach).

Also, I'd be curious to know a little more about the process of hunt date selection if anyone has firsthand experience. Sounds like it depends on the order I was drawn? Should I just expect a phone call or email?

Thanks!

Just learned today that I finally drew a Bison tag in South Dakota. Season runs October 16th through November 15th. I will have to choose a date in that timeframe. I know there are a few guys on this board that have had that tag before.

Would you go early or late?
Where would you stay?
Anything you would change about your trip?

Looking forward to a fun trip.
I would probably go later in hopes of a thicker hide?

Stay you have lots of cheap options since it's not the tourist season. One that might be easy is a state cabin out there, csp has them from memory.

I've looked at the logistics plenty as I've debated selling a kidney to finance the hunt.... 😂

I figured to ship my hide to Idaho for tanning, couldn't seem to find anywhere closer when I looked.

Any of the small town meat lockers will process a bison from what I saw, call and ask and make sure they give you only your meat back.

Last edited:
I drew the Oct/Nov tag this year as well. It sounds like the farthest thing from a difficult hunt, but it feels nostalgic, and I’m really excited to put a bull down with my bow, run my hands through the shaggy coat, and fill the freezer with some amazing meat.

I’m planning on tanning the hide and doing a euro mount. Research suggests that Moyle out of Idaho is the way to go for hide tanning.

Certainly curious to hear about meat processors in the area. I'd likely have the time to stick around for a while after the hunt to wait until the processing was finished then drive it all the back to NV.

Congratulations everyone
Hoping I can draw next year. Does anyone know when we can buy points this year?
I’m torn between a euro and a shoulder mount. Might be the only one I ever take so leaning toward a shoulder mount

Congratulations everyone
I’m torn between a euro and a shoulder mount. Might be the only one I ever take so leaning toward a shoulder mount
If you do a shoulder mount make sure you have enough wall space. I know several people that did a full size shoulder mount on a big Buffalo bull and had no place to put it afterwards.

Congratulations everyone
My dad did a whole shoulder on his it's awesome. But @Dakota79 is right make sure you have a place for it they take up some real-estate.20240707_132247.jpg20240707_132309.jpg

Kirby Creek Tannery in Thermopolis, Wy is an excellent choice. They do all my flat hides and tanning for taxidermy.
I might use them, thanks for the recommendation.

Did anyone use one of the processors that comes out to the park? Any recommendations?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back