Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Solved - Bolt Sticky Unrelated to Stocky's Stock.

I had a west coast gunsmith build me a new rifle superlite rifle in 6.5 Grendel and when I received it , took it to the range and shot once and when I tried to open the bolt and eject the empty I could not open the bolt , I went to Lowe’s and purchased a 1/4” aluminum rod and inserted at the muzzle and tapped the cartridge out of the chamber , I inspected the cartridge and at the base were scuff marks all the way around the base , The gunsmith did not chamber the rifle but he did Cerakote the barreled action and what it was in the base of the chamber was a little bit of overspray at the opening,
Guys , it takes very little foreign material in any chamber to lock it up and Cerakote being a little abrasive did so , I wore out 3 brass brushes in that chamber , and then I took a cotton chamber insert on the cleaning rod with a super light coat of Hornady cartridge wax and I never had any trouble again !!!

Seeing more and more about lousy stockys inlets lately. My rifle in one shoots well but I’ll probably bed it for peace of mind when I get a chance.

I had a west coast gunsmith build me a new rifle superlite rifle in 6.5 Grendel and when I received it , took it to the range and shot once and when I tried to open the bolt and eject the empty I could not open the bolt , I went to Lowe’s and purchased a 1/4” aluminum rod and inserted at the muzzle and tapped the cartridge out of the chamber , I inspected the cartridge and at the base were scuff marks all the way around the base , The gunsmith did not chamber the rifle but he did Cerakote the barreled action and what it was in the base of the chamber was a little bit of overspray at the opening,
Guys , it takes very little foreign material in any chamber to lock it up and Cerakote being a little abrasive did so , I wore out 3 brass brushes in that chamber , and then I took a cotton chamber insert on the cleaning rod with a super light coat of Hornady cartridge wax and I never had any trouble again !!!
So he didn't test fire it?

@4ohSick Did you ever figure this out?

I had a buddy run into something almost identical recently. The issue turned out to be contact with the new stock pressing the trigger group hard into the action. The sear and striker were jammed together hard after a shot. We added shims under the front and rear action screws until the bolt worked good. Then pulled out shims alternating front and rear until we got contact again.
Inletting the bottom of the trigger cavity fixed it.

@4ohSick Did you ever figure this out?

I had a buddy run into something almost identical recently. The issue turned out to be contact with the new stock pressing the trigger group hard into the action. The sear and striker were jammed together hard after a shot. We added shims under the front and rear action screws until the bolt worked good. Then pulled out shims alternating front and rear until we got contact again.
Inletting the bottom of the trigger cavity fixed it.
Been meaning to give a final update on this, but been busy and it's kinda embarrassing. The stock is and always was fine. It's less fine now because I bedded it and suck at using a dremel - still works fine but it's uglier than it was. Ultimately the gun was just really dirty. With an unknown round count and cleaning history when my father-in-law gave it to me (although knowing him, cleaning probably didn't happen regularly), I should have done a thorough cleaning, but I just did my standard and obviously inadequate couple passes with a bore brush, solvent soaked patch, couple dry patches til they come out clean, call it good. Looking back at all my spent brass, the gun has been overpressure with factory ammo since I got it, but I think running Federal Trophy Coppers with the nickel-plated brass was covering the issue as far as sticky extraction. And it finally just got bad enough to notice after I put ~200 rounds through it and tried some non-coated brass loads.

It took 5 rounds of foaming bore cleaner followed by aggressive bore brushing, wet patch, and dry patches til clean before my wet patches were coming out not completely black. Finally started getting some blue copper fouling around the 7th round of it, and then just did some more solvent and patches for good measure until everything was pretty clean. Gun cycles perfect now with no pressure signs.

Learned some lessons about thoroughly cleaning a used gun, sending stocks to a gunsmith for bedding instead of trying it myself, and probably a third thing.

Last edited:
Seeing more and more about lousy stockys inlets lately. My rifle in one shoots well but I’ll probably bed it for peace of mind when I get a chance.
I changed the thread title since this is resolved and my Stockys stock was definitely not the culprit. The inletting doesn't have the barrel perfectly centered in the barrel channel, but it was free floated and not the culprit for my issues. Can't comment on accuracy since my overpressure was probably causing inconsistent velocities, but I think it's reasonable to expect improved accuracy now that it's pillar-bedded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back Tracker
Back