Solo Elk Hunt in Colorado: Am I About to Embark on a Glorious Disaster?

BQ12

**Headline: "Solo Elk Hunt in Colorado: Should I Go for It or Wait?"**

I’m looking for some advice—should I take on a solo OTC elk hunt in Colorado this year, or hold off until I’m better prepared?

I’m from the Midwest with no experience hunting elk or navigating mountain terrain, but I’ve got some unexpected time off and am considering heading out to Unit 14. My main concern is the pack out—if I do manage to get an elk, I’m not sure how difficult it would be to handle it alone, especially when it comes to preventing meat spoilage.

For those of you who’ve done solo elk hunts, how tough is the pack out on your own? Any tips on strategies for managing the load, especially if I’m trying to stay close to truck access? Also, how realistic is it to find spots in Unit 14 that won’t require a long, grueling pack out?

I’m torn between giving this a shot now or waiting until next year when I could be better prepared and possibly have a team to help. Would appreciate any specific advice or strategies you’ve used in similar situations. Thanks!

Have you ever been too CO and experienced the elevation diff? That alone should make you think. Just do it when you can.

**Headline: "Solo Elk Hunt in Colorado: Should I Go for It or Wait?"**

I’m looking for some advice—should I take on a solo OTC elk hunt in Colorado this year, or hold off until I’m better prepared?

I’m from the Midwest with no experience hunting elk or navigating mountain terrain, but I’ve got some unexpected time off and am considering heading out to Unit 14. My main concern is the pack out—if I do manage to get an elk, I’m not sure how difficult it would be to handle it alone, especially when it comes to preventing meat spoilage.

For those of you who’ve done solo elk hunts, how tough is the pack out on your own? Any tips on strategies for managing the load, especially if I’m trying to stay close to truck access? Also, how realistic is it to find spots in Unit 14 that won’t require a long, grueling pack out?

I’m torn between giving this a shot now or waiting until next year when I could be better prepared and possibly have a team to help. Would appreciate any specific advice or strategies you’ve used in similar situations. Thanks!

You can't not kill an elk if you don't go elk hunting! Most elk pack-outs are grueling, just don't go more than a couple miles in if you're solo...

A field dressed, skinned cow elk with legs removed at the knee averages 300-320lbs. If you're very good at boning out an animal you'll get to about 150lbs of meat to pack out. That will be at least 3 trips at altitude. Probably more. If you are bow hunting in September, the mornings are great until they're not by around 9:30am. Important to have some idea of where you hope an animal will go down before taking a shot. Shade and cold at 7am may be direct sun by 9-10am.

Like everyone has said. Go for it! Just respect the animal too. If you aren't sure you can get the unspoiled meat out, please don't take the shot. You'll enjoy the memory for the rest of your life. I've been hunting elk for 36 years during archery and rifle. My goal every year is to get so close I can watch them blink without them knowing that I am there. I have passed on many, many easy shots because I hunt alone and knew I couldn't get all of the meat out before it spoiled. I live for each fall elk season. I scout them all year long. Nothing like being 10-20 feet from a sleeping elk that you've stumbled upon.

Most elk aren't going to be anywhere near truck access. Because truck access also means atv, sxs, dirt bike, mountain bike, and hiking access points too!

prioritizing whitetail hunting

Once you've hunted elk, you'll see the oxymoron. ;)

Honestly, you have to make the appropriate decision for your circumstances and budget, but it sounds like you need a kick in the pants to go for it. Then again, I may be about to go to Colorado for a solo mountain goat hunt, so my advice may be a little suspect.

QQ

Go as soon as you can. I didn't go west for years simply because I couldn't get anyone committed to go with me. Finally got a couple buddies to do an antelope hunt and I'm now addicted. I then started buying points in a few different states for multiple species. Now I hunt the west every year . My point is that I regret waiting for so long. Even if I have to go alone I'm still going.

A field dressed, skinned cow elk with legs removed at the knee averages 300-320lbs. If you're very good at boning out an animal you'll get to about 150lbs of meat to pack out. That will be at least 3 trips at altitude. Probably more. If you are bow hunting in September, the mornings are great until they're not by around 9:30am. Important to have some idea of where you hope an animal will go down before taking a shot. Shade and cold at 7am may be direct sun by 9-10am.

Like everyone has said. Go for it! Just respect the animal too. If you aren't sure you can get the unspoiled meat out, please don't take the shot. You'll enjoy the memory for the rest of your life. I've been hunting elk for 36 years during archery and rifle. My goal every year is to get so close I can watch them blink without them knowing that I am there. I have passed on many, many easy shots because I hunt alone and knew I couldn't get all of the meat out before it spoiled. I live for each fall elk season. I scout them all year long. Nothing like being 10-20 feet from a sleeping elk that you've stumbled upon.

Most elk aren't going to be anywhere near truck access. Because truck access also means atv, sxs, dirt bike, mountain bike, and hiking access points too!
What PikesPeak said ....

I solo as well. Last two 2nd Rifle seasons have started with 15-20 inches of fresh snow on the ground where I hunt. This year maybe different story, or not. Know and set your limits before you start hiking in from the trailhead. Then go have fun.

No reason not to try. Packing the elk out is where some of the fun stops, but it is satisfying as hell to do it so long as you don’t try to be superman and hurt yourself. I’d suggest you focus on morning hunts within a mile of a trail. If you hunt evenings, go ahead and hike in farther on a trail but cut the hunting distance to maybe 1/4 or 1/2 mile from the trail.

If you don’t get all the elk processed and out in the day, hopefully its good cool enough weather, otherwise you may have to work all night in unfamiliar terrain, solo, with who knows what weather, and dealing with scavengers. All that can mess with your head and lead to bad decisions, wrenched back or twisted knees (or worse) and lost meat. Always have emergency overnight kit, spare headlamp, spare batteries, spare GPS abilities and an InReach or similar when hunting alone.

Have you ever been too CO and experienced the elevation diff? That alone should make you think. Just do it when you can.
Yeah, I’ve been out west quite a few time so I know what to expect. I’m just going to take my time to acclimate and go slow.

Really hoping to just get out there to start learning!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back