S’mores

Here is my fun story about s'more making that is revolved around this very subject......

2 years ago we went camping with our friends. I built a fire and got to work sharpening my smore stick. Mind you that our friends and even our camper are equipped with metal skewers but they are really only there if we get in a pinch (or organized campgrounds that don't have sticks available).

Cue the kids... what are you doing?

Whittling my s'more stick! I said

Can I do one? asked the kids.

Hell yes!!

Teaching how to hold knives, safety, etc.....

For at least 2 hours the next 2 days the 2 kids sharpened sticks, built spears, made bows and arrows from willows.

I was so damn proud and was a very memorable trip... glad I could pass on the tradition and make our own even though we have the metal skewers. Each trip is now a fun project to see who can whittle the best stick.

Here is my fun story about s'more making that is revolved around this very subject......

2 years ago we went camping with our friends. I built a fire and got to work sharpening my smore stick. Mind you that our friends and even our camper are equipped with metal skewers but they are really only there if we get in a pinch (or organized campgrounds that don't have sticks available).

Cue the kids... what are you doing?

Whittling my s'more stick! I said

Can I do one? asked the kids.

Hell yes!!

Teaching how to hold knives, safety, etc.....

For at least 2 hours the next 2 days the 2 kids sharpened sticks, built spears, made bows and arrows from willows.

I was so damn proud and was a very memorable trip... glad I could pass on the tradition and make our own even though we have the metal skewers. Each trip is now a fun project to see who can whittle the best stick.
Damn good story, thanks for sharing.

First date with my wife I took her to the movies and out to the lake to have a fire and s'mores.

Found us some nice willow branches to sharpen and make our s'mores. Apparently when she was giving a recap of the date to her aunt (who she thinks of as her mother), the question came up whether I bought skewers or sharpened my own sticks. We'd only been dating a couple months at the time, but her aunt was of the mind that since I carved my own s'mores sticks I was a good country boy and someone worth dating further. I am definitely just a city kid who loved playing with knives so she was a little bit wrong in her assessment. Here we are now almost 13 years later.

As a kid in a family of 7, we were never allowed to use more than 2 of the little rectangles of chocolate for s'mores. Always store brand grahams and mallows, but the chocolate had to be Hersheys. Each round of s'mores used an entire chocolate bar so that was quite the luxury back in the day.

Let's talk s'mores quantity here fellas:

One is a tease.
Two is enough after a hearty dinner.
Three is a pretty decent dessert.
Four is my borderline limit.
Two is the sweet spot for me.

On that camping trip, we had mountain house for supper, then two s’mores a piece. I was warm from all the sodium for awhile, but still ended up freezing somehow….

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mleonard23
Back