Sleeping in truck or tent

I put a topper on my truck mainly to use for sleeping in it. It's a medium rise (6" above cab height). It gives me enough headroom with my cot. I added a Bedrug liner for added insulation. I have slept in in down into the teens without a heater. An extra wool blanket over my sleeping bag keeps me warm enough. I gave up on pitching a ten a few years back. This works just fine for weekend hunting trips.

I set up my Whiteduck 10' Bell Regatta tent this weekend in the yard. Tried to get it all wet as directed to cause the cotton to swell and seal everything up. It was already water proofed so that was a little difficult. In between dousing, I placed an aluminum army cot inside to see how much room I would have. It will be good for one person with a heater in there. Two people would be pushing it unless you were not using cots. I was laying on the cot and looking at all the pin hole sunshine spots wondering how well this thing will stand up to a wet snow storm. I did not see any water inside so it must be working. I think it will be fine in a wind protected location. Wouldn't last on the open prairie with the elastic corded tie downs in my opinion. I'll find out in November either way. I will have the truck bed ready just in case. Man has to have options.

Headed to Wy to chase elk in a few days and will be sleeping in my truck bed with topper for the first time. I’m really excited about being able to be mobile and move camp fast if needed. Had to modify my cot for my tailgate to close but still plenty of room to stretch out. One question I have is ventilation. I have sliding side windows and wondering if I should keep one or both sides cracked open a bit? I’ll be running a buddy heater right before going to sleep and first thing after waking up. Even though they claim they are safe no way I would trust leaving it on while asleep. Calling for lows in the high 20s low 30s. Thanks for any advice or tips.
IMG_5260.png
IMG_5253.jpeg

I usually leave the topper door open and crack the side windows 1/2". They will ice up if there is enough humidity. Leave my heater running all night. It is on a 20 lb tank. Real pain to get up at 2:30 am and change out 1 lb. while you are freezing and need to piss. Thats the other thing. Have a piss jug handy so you do not have to leave the vehicle. Good luck.

I usually leave the topper door open and crack the side windows 1/2". They will ice up if there is enough humidity. Leave my heater running all night. It is on a 20 lb tank. Real pain to get up at 2:30 am and change out 1 lb. while you are freezing and need to piss. Thats the other thing. Have a piss jug handy so you do not have to leave the vehicle. Good luck.
Thanks the piss jug is definitely a great idea.

Hell, I have em for daily driving...lol,stuck in traffic, no problemo. Radiologist gal gave them to me for this purpose. Haven't used them yet.
Today I just pulled over and enjoyed the view on the Plains of San Augustine. Watched some antelope.
How do you pee sitting down in a vehicle? That is impossible for me to do without peeing on myself. 🤣

How do you pee sitting down in a vehicle? That is impossible for me to do without peeing on myself. 🤣
I pee laying on my side in my sleeping bag, driving the SUV, walking along the road looking non-chalant. Pee bottle is standard camping and driving equipment. Practice makes perfect. 👍👌🍺

Last edited:
@jvanhoy I had the same size topper on my F-150 and slept in it- on a cot. Same setup as yours except I wasn't using a buddy heater. I just used a good bag, and 2 insulated sleeping pads under me and I was fine at 25 deg and I'm not great with the cold. Wore heavy ice fishing socks at night. Huge fan of the the pee jug like others have recommended. I use a "little john" pee jug because it has a lid and it holds a couple of pees. Like other have said- roll over on your side and let'er rip. Beats the heck out of getting out of a warm bag and peeing outside. Good luck on your hunt!! Hope you have a good time.

@jvanhoy I had the same size topper on my F-150 and slept in it- on a cot. Same setup as yours except I wasn't using a buddy heater. I just used a good bag, and 2 insulated sleeping pads under me and I was fine at 25 deg and I'm not great with the cold. Wore heavy ice fishing socks at night. Huge fan of the the pee jug like others have recommended. I use a "little john" pee jug because it has a lid and it holds a couple of pees. Like other have said- roll over on your side and let'er rip. Beats the heck out of getting out of a warm bag and peeing outside. Good luck on your hunt!! Hope you have a good time.
Thanks. I can’t wait to be back out there!
IMG_5270.png

Huge fan of the the pee jug like others have recommended. I use a "little john" pee jug because it has a lid and it holds a couple of pees. Like other have said- roll over on your side and let'er rip.
Someone ought to make a thread where everyone can chime in with their favorite piss jug specs. Different sizes, old or new, different shapes, simple or lavish.

Last edited:
Large mouth mtn dew bottles. Just make sure of which one you grab in the morning to take a swig from!
You sure you don’t just call it a wide mouth to make yourself feel better? I don’t drink the stuff but I’ve never seen a wide mouth version! 😂

I was always a fan of the 28oz Gatorade bottle. Right size lid and big enough to hold everything it needs to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back