sighting in at a low elevation for a higher elevation hunt

nastynate

Not sure the right forum category, but I figure the reloader/ammunition nerds might have a good answer to my question that was stimulated from this video:

I'm trying to learn from @Big Fin mistake described in this video. For those that don't want to watch, he sighted in at 7000, and missed a bear when hunting at sea level... Something I really hadn't thought about. Any more details? How far was that bear? Did you ever crunch the numbers, and if so was it enough that you feel you missed because of the sight-in/elevation issues?

I live and shoot under 1000' elevation and got an elk tag in a 8000-12000' unit. Besides checking zero when I get there, anything I can do way down here at 1000' to prepare for a shot way up there, as far as sighting in goes? FWIW, I shoot a 165 grain copper e-tip out of a 30-06 with 3-9 scope (no CDS or anything like that), and I want to be 300 or less for shots. Haven't run into any issues like this on previous out west hunts, but shots have been under 250 yards and not as high as this next hunt.

The ballistics calculators I look at allow you adjust the elevation for your initial data, but doesn't get at the question of how your point of impact would change if your sighted in at one elevation and move up to another. If you know of a calculator that would let me answer my own question, post that up!

I live at like 300' and regularly hunt at 8000-10000. I zero my gun about 1.5" low before leaving then shoot again at 200yds when I get to my location. It works well for me. I shoot out a lot farther than 300 though. If your shots are 300 or less I don't really think you should have much of an issue especially if you're aiming behind the shoulder.

Would never have considered the elevation to create that much seperation. Humid environment at sea level - higher elevation, air's more dense, the restrictive force through the air. Did randy recalibrate after that miss? Would be interesting to learn. Think Randy said his shot was at 200 yards(?).

Sight in at 100 and you should be fine. 100 at sea level and 100 at 10,000 should be almost identical on target. If you sight in at 20 at sea level and 200 at 10,000 you will probably see more of a variation, more room for error.

Here's a 308 168 amax through strelok pro, at 0' and 12000' elevation with a 10 mph crosswind.

The difference isnt that big at short range - but its always worth checking/verifying 0 after traveling a long ways or shooting a new elevation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240801_113436_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20240801_113436_Strelok Pro.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20240801_113506_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20240801_113506_Strelok Pro.jpg
    461 KB · Views: 35
At "normal" shooting distances which to me would be 400 yards max I would never even give it a thought. I sight in at 2700' and could be hunting anywhere from 4000' to 9500' and it has never made any difference.

Would never have considered the elevation to create that much seperation. Humid environment at sea level - higher elevation, air's more dense, the restrictive force through the air. Did randy recalibrate after that miss? Would be interesting to learn. Think Randy said his shot was at 200 yards(?).
I Didn’t catch that Randy said the shot was 200 yards before. Probably just a miss… I don’t think POI should change so much as to miss a bear. But I’dbstill be curious if he has any more insights on that…

Not sure the right forum category, but I figure the reloader/ammunition nerds might have a good answer to my question that was stimulated from this video:

I'm trying to learn from @Big Fin mistake described in this video. For those that don't want to watch, he sighted in at 7000, and missed a bear when hunting at sea level... Something I really hadn't thought about. Any more details? How far was that bear? Did you ever crunch the numbers, and if so was it enough that you feel you missed because of the sight-in/elevation issues?

I live and shoot under 1000' elevation and got an elk tag in a 8000-12000' unit. Besides checking zero when I get there, anything I can do way down here at 1000' to prepare for a shot way up there, as far as sighting in goes? FWIW, I shoot a 165 grain copper e-tip out of a 30-06 with 3-9 scope (no CDS or anything like that), and I want to be 300 or less for shots. Haven't run into any issues like this on previous out west hunts, but shots have been under 250 yards and not as high as this next hunt.

The ballistics calculators I look at allow you adjust the elevation for your initial data, but doesn't get at the question of how your point of impact would change if your sighted in at one elevation and move up to another. If you know of a calculator that would let me answer my own question, post that up!

Sight in at 100 and you should be fine. 100 at sea level and 100 at 10,000 should be almost identical on target. If you sight in at 20 at sea level and 200 at 10,000 you will probably see more of a variation, more room for error.
I read a military sniper technical manual online. Temperature, humidity, elevation, wind, and ballistic coefficient, etc are all factors. Anyway, it sort of canceled out the factors for my particular circumstances. However, when I checked a rifle in the Rockies I was hitting high. The rifle was originally zeroed at 1200 feet elevation.
My nephew was a USMC designated marksman. Whenever they deployed to a new area they sighted in again.

Theory isn't capable of determining all factors such as traveling and loose screws. I think I will check point of impact after spending time and money on a hunt. Better safe than sorry.

In all cases (where possible) we all know it is best to fire a shot or two when we get up to our hunt area to make sure nothing came loose. I live (and sight in) at sea level, and my hunt is in Northern NM, elevation between 8000' and 9500'. When I shoot upon arrival at the ranch, I don't find any change in my point of impact from when I shot at home. The sight in range is only 100 yards. I usually try to have my POI about 1.75 or 2 inches at 100 yards at home, and it is usually the same when I get up to 8000'. I shoot a .340 Weatherby, maybe that has something to do with it. My shots at Elk have always been less than 300 yards, that might help too.

I had something similar happen in May. Rifle was spot on in MI, but was all over the place in MT. Wood swell & not enough time behind the trigger were my issues. It's caused me to question my marksmanship and get back to some fundamentals.

Best advice is to know your rifle in and out. Put enough rounds down-range to be proficient with it so you know when something is off. Remove the variables that can lead to inaccuracy in the rifle (bedding, free floating, trigger, etc). Practice field positions and rotate position to keep yourself from getting too comfortable. For altitude, if you can; take 10-20 rounds and resight in and shoot at the elevation you'll be hunting in. It's a small window in a morning or afternoon to set up targets at the ranges you are comfortable with and just run the rifle through your regular practice session.

It is always good to shoot your rifle when you get to your destination especially if it is a long journey or your gun is in a plane. The difference in elevation within 300 yards is negligible - maybe an inch with your 30-06. Once you starting getting out past 500 yards or so you may start noticing a difference.

I live at 5500' hunt between 9000-11000'. When I make my drop charts, I make them for 10000' and only out to 500yds. If I need to shoot farther, I'll take a kestrel reading and use my vortex AB 5000 rangefinder to get a shooting solution.

It is always good to shoot your rifle when you get to your destination especially if it is a long journey or your gun is in a plane. The difference in elevation within 300 yards is negligible - maybe an inch with your 30-06. Once you starting getting out past 500 yards or so you may start noticing a difference.
In a kneeling position viewing through my scope in on a cow elk (B Tag, MT) one occasion, first day out and stunned to sneak on a cow elk occasionally responding to my cow calls. Not more than 120 yards out, Boom! As I watched, stunned... the cow looked around for a few seconds then trotted off. No impact noise, impact reaction - simply a sudden head perched up from eating and an easy trot into the woods.

I searched the area - not a sign of blood matching the cows reaction - I completely missed! Low and behold, I examine my scope and my mounting ring is loose!

As you mentioned - now, I pull off into a safe recessed hillside area as I get within 20 miles of my base camp and place my range finder for a paper plate placement, pop three rounds, all good? Great!

I live at 5500' hunt between 9000-11000'. When I make my drop charts, I make them for 10000' and only out to 500yds. If I need to shoot farther, I'll take a kestrel reading and use my vortex AB 5000 rangefinder to get a shooting solution.
If I need a ‘shooting solution’, I am already out of my element. LOL

If I need a ‘shooting solution’, I am already out of my element. LOL
I shoot out to 1400yds regularly and know my gun. A dope card will get me out to 500yds, anything further and I'm using real world data for those conditions.

As others have mentioned, check your zero.
If you have the opportunity, take a few longer shots when you're at elevation.
Close in, your zero might not be that different. At longer ranges is where the difference will be.

Also, don't use a CDS dial.
It will match up at your 1,000ft elevation, but not at 7,000.
If you need to get a MOA or MIL reticle.
They are always MOA or MIL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back