Shooting from a tripod

mxracer317

I have never shot from a tripod.

My 11-year-old will use my suppressed 300-win mag this year for a late-season (winter) elk hunt.

I love shooting with my bipods, but was thinking the tripod route with an arca plate might be easier for him --especially if the snow is deep.

I would need to upgrade my current setup (SLIK CF-734) to handle the 300's weight, but I want to keep it light for my archery hunts.

So, two questions here:

1) Any experience with Tricer "AD", Revic "Hunter" or the new Aziak "Front Country".

2) Is shooting off a tripod all that it's really cracked up to be. We try to keep shots under 400 yards.

Off the topic but perhaps helpful info, I am most likely going to sell the 300 at the end of the year and go to 7mm mag.

Last edited:
I've shot several animals off my BOG Deathgrip, I converted it to be direct ARCA but still be able to use the clamp for rifles that aren't ARCA equipped. For the terrain we hunt pronghorn in, the little bit of height is a big advantage over prone. Two years ago, I filled my spike elk tag off the BOG in a quite a bit of snow, and it was a godsend for those conditions, would have been tough to make that shot any other way. I have shot a little off my Vortex CF tripod, just to see how it would go in the field. Its obviously not as rigid, but still worked really well. I wish I had got the CF BOG, I'd be way more likely to pack it around a little more that I do currently. When my niece is on the trigger, I carry the BOG for her, and she dropped her first deer off it, and I think its key to her making that shot.

Currenly have the the SLIK 734.

Looking at the Revic, Tricer or Aziak "Front Country"
I was asking about the bipod. I upgraded a Spartan last year with their sitting height legs and I like shooting off of it as much as a tripod.

The tripod is a good option if you’re carrying it anyway. No input on any of those, I also have a 734.

I was asking about the bipod. I upgraded a Spartan last year with their sitting height legs and I like shooting off of it as much as a tripod.

The tripod is a good option if you’re carrying it anyway. No input on any of those, I also have a 734.
Sorry, missed that! Gunwerks 2.0 bipod.

I want my kid to shoot off a tripod in deep snow.

I'm really leaning towards the new Aziak Front Country as it has a 35lb rating. The Tricer AD only has 26lb.

Tripods are game changing for adults and especially kids. 6 antelope, 4 deer and 3 elk last year all from the tripod. Mostly standing but a couple were kneeling. Think we only shot prone twice the entire season between all of us. Way easier for the kids and less experienced shooters to get sight picture and target acquisition. Pretty much eliminates terrain blocking line of sight. Honestly it’s kinda not fair. Felt like it was too easy. Have to go to church and ask forgiveness or something. IMG_0096.jpegIMG_4117.jpeg

Friend of mine is using a lefoto of some type with an arca ball head. He has or had a slik 734 but I haven’t seen him packing it at all lately. The lefoto is a monster but it’s surprisingly light

I’ve thought about shooting off my slik 734. Not concerned with it providing a completely solid gun support, more just a super handy rest

Tripods are game changing for adults and especially kids. 6 antelope, 4 deer and 3 elk last year all from the tripod. Mostly standing but a couple were kneeling. Think we only shot prone twice the entire season between all of us. Way easier for the kids and less experienced shooters to get sight picture and target acquisition. Pretty much eliminates terrain blocking line of sight. Honestly it’s kinda not fair. Felt like it was too easy. Have to go to church and ask forgiveness or something. View attachment 342490View attachment 342491
What caliber are you shooting from the Vortex tripod. This is what I’m looking for!

Shot a bunch off an old Manfroto light weight tripod with a y yoke.
Given a bogpod trigger tripod last year ,but no tags this year. Very stable.

I use both a manfrotto and leophoto carbon fiber with ball heads. Only drawback to my arca rail on the rifle is I went extra light and don’t have a longer plate that comes back to center balance point. I may change that - doesn’t add too much weight. If it’s for your kids make sure that they practice using it, and making adjustments to the tripod while in shooting positions. With the lighter leophoto tripod I have - there is no center column so you can get prone. The center column is faster to adjust while seated though.
IMG_9273.jpeg

Shooting off tripods can work really well with a little practice. It does come down to your budget. The more you pay the lighter the setup you can get. There are may quality products out there from a few hundred to well over $1,500. I was able to find my tripod used and spent very little on it.

One of my go to tripods is a manfroto carbon with a 2 vets head. I use this on files from the 7lb range to full PRS rifles weighing in at over 20lb. They also cover the caliber range from .223 up to the 300RUM.

With a little practice you should be able to be stable in a variety of terrain out to +500 yards.

Here is a video the fresh tracks crew did on shooting off a tripod, that may help with some techniques:

I've been using a leophoto with a ball head, super bomber, although a blatant ripoff of the USA-made RRS...personally I wouldn't get something with a center column, the farther away from the spread legs you are the shakier it gets.

If you teach them how to run a pair of shooting sticks on the butt of the stock along with the tripod it is a rock solid setup

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baymb
Back