Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Shell holders for single shots?

Last year elk hunting I finally had to dig a cartridge out of the bino harness. Due to poor range estimation and general excitement I kinda came unhinged when I got my opportunity. Shot the gun empty and finally connected on the fourth shot. As the elk did a nose dive, I was digging a cartridge out of the bino harness. I ripped it out of the front pocket, spilled my other spare cartridge in the snow, got the gun loaded again and back on the elk. Piss poor shooting and not how I wanted that situation to go down, but the elk never moved after it went down and it ended well enough. I really did think pulling a cartridge out of the bino harness pocket would have gone smoother than it did.

What do you single shot rifle shooters use for holding extra ammo for a fast 2nd shot? I can't use the slip-on buttstock style because I have a thumb hole stock. Can't slip it on my wrist unless I wear a t-shirt. Something that would strap to my arm would be great with my break open Pro Hunter. Any ideas?
Some type of loops on a wrist band that has Velcro so you can adjust the size to wear over any outer clothing?

Some type of loops on a wrist band that has Velcro so you can adjust the size to wear over any outer clothing?
That's what I'm trying to find but it looks like I'm going to try rigging up something similar from a couple separate items. I have plenty of time and if it doesn't work out maybe when hunting I'll stick a round in my hat when setting up for the shot and have it right in front of my face!

Currently I keep a wallet style on my pack and a slip on the butt. Reloads in the years I’ve been hunting with a number 1 have thankfully been academic. I’m really just waiting for P-Ham to design the perfect system.

Could do something crazy like just stick a couple extra rounds in a handy pocket.

Shirt pocket, 2 extra rounds. 10 extra rounds in my pocket in a cartridge wallet. If I'm set up and ready to whiff the shot, there's two cartridges in my off hand fingers like a couple of Paul Malls.

Oh come on @Dave N quit being humble. We all know you got that single shot for a reason. You don’t need no stinking second shot. 😁
That really was the intent with the muzzle loader setup when I bought it. Making it tougher than the shotgun with slugs. I added the 300 barrel for an elk hunt because it was way cheaper than a whole new rifle.

I'm sure that I'll be just fine. I'm just letting my brain go into overtime and think too much.

So far, on deer and swine, my #1's have been thrifty on ammo...they don't eat much. I just keep one or two rounds handy. I don't like the farmer's tan a shell carrier can give a buttstock.

@psinclair will sell you one of these.... do recommend.

So far, on deer and swine, my #1's have been thrifty on ammo...they don't eat much. I just keep one or two rounds handy. I don't like the farmer's tan a shell carrier can give a buttstock.

@psinclair will sell you one of these.... do recommend.
Glad you like it!

Looks like it's holding up okay...;)

IMG_8737.jpegIMG_8738.png
Found this online. Can’t vouch for it but thought I’d share. Confidence matters so if you feel better having the second shot closer then it’s all good. Unfortunately, I think it’s for smaller shells. I’ll try to find one that will fit your 300.

I’ve had one missed animal stick around for a second shot. Strangely it was an elk and it was with a muzzleloader. My practiced quick reloads and having the quick loader handy meant that elk being in the freezer and running free.

However, I have had many mortally hit animals allow me to get another one in them during their death process. As the writer David Petzal once wrote “ammo is the cheapest part of your hunt, so send another one, it shows you care.”

I have also had a lot of luck with my bino harness for storage. Mine has elastic mesh on the outside on each side of the main compartment and it does a perfect job of holding a shell, quick loader, or turkey slate striker.

Lastly, I want to echo what the others are saying. Your attention to detail and practice WILL pay off. Whatever you do, you will be prepared!

Agree on this being the answer:
4B3CAFD4-5FF6-43E4-9983-7BE9701ADF0D.png

Agree on this being the answer:
View attachment 335681
My stock won't work with the sticker type mount. I think I have a solution.

My stock won't work with the sticker type mount. I think I have a solution.

That'll look so cool in WalMart Dave.... ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MidwestSniper03
Back