Caribou Gear Tarp

Shell holders for single shots?

Dave N

What do you single shot rifle shooters use for holding extra ammo for a fast 2nd shot? I can't use the slip-on buttstock style because I have a thumb hole stock. Can't slip it on my wrist unless I wear a t-shirt. Something that would strap to my arm would be great with my break open Pro Hunter. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I looked at something like this for my dad’s old Ruger. Ultimately made a butt stock one work. Prior to that I was just tossing a handful of shells in my pocket. IMG_7136.png

I looked at something like this for my dad’s old Ruger. Ultimately made a butt stock one work. Prior to that I was just tossing a handful of shells in my pocket. View attachment 335439
I saw those and didn't know how well they would stick, plus how easy it would be to have the holder part detach and get lost.

Thinking about a buttstock shell holder with an adjustable wrist strap threaded through it and then attached to my arm. That would put my spare ammo close to the action when I break it open to reload. It only has to hold a couple, more would be in my pocket.

Those short action precision 2 shell holders above work, it’s good Velcro that you definitely wouldn’t pull apart without knowing.

Any chance you use some kind of harness? These both can be attached to some kind of strap

T&K

FHF

My dad's old buddy hunted doves with a break open 12 gauge. He was crazy fast with his extra shells between his fingers like cigarettes.
Seen my dad shoot his Sharpes like that a time or two said it was how the old bison hunters did it. It was quick but probably not to efficient in the field on the move.

I just talked to a saddle maker in Illinois, I’ll see him on Saturday going to see if he can make me something for my forearm similar to the old archery arm protectors. Adjustable so I can use it in September or December kind of thing. I’ll let you know

Are you going to have or use a bino harness?
I have one but not sure about using it with my case unless I modify it. I would still have to reach and look somewhere else for another round.
Those short action precision 2 shell holders above work, it’s good Velcro that you definitely wouldn’t pull apart without knowing.

Any chance you use some kind of harness? These both can be attached to some kind of strap

T&K

FHF
My forearm probably won't work anyway except for underneath.

20240805_205211.jpg

I think I'm going to pick up a slip-on and a wrist strap and see what I think. I can get them for under $15 total. Pretty cheap if it works. Doesn't have to be fancy, won't be using it a lot!

For my single shots I use a n Uncle Mike’s buttstock holder that I cut up and sewed onto a small fanny pack. I had 4 cartridges on either side of the bag. That worked on a Safari…it made me feel comfortable…reality though was different.

I’ve considered both wrist wrap holders and on the side of the rifle but in the end I actually went far more simple: One cartridge in each of my chest pockets, an ammo “wallet” (Leather, holds 5 rounds) in my back pocket.

Let’s get honest here: how many times have you seen a critter hang around and wait for the second shot after you’ve missed?

Exactly twice for me in 25 years…

I looked at something like this for my dad’s old Ruger. Ultimately made a butt stock one work. Prior to that I was just tossing a handful of shells in my pocket. View attachment 335439
I bought that one from Amazon when I bought the cva scout single shot in .350 legend for illinois deer season. It didn't even make it out of the gun case first use. Came off in the gun case. I'm using cartridge holder that I keep in my pocket open for a quick reload. Would be interested in finding something that actually works. I like the idea of this but didn't even make it to start the hunt.

Yeah, I think I'll pass on trying that! I'm probably overthinking things (again) but I'm just trying to think of having a 2nd round handy if needed without having to dig in my pocket. Having it fairly close to where I need it seems like it makes sense. May not need it but if I do... 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I think I'll pass on trying that! I'm probably overthinking things (again) but I'm just trying to think of having a 2nd round handy if needed without having to dig in my pocket. Having it fairly close to where I need it seems like it makes sense. May not need it but if I do... 🤷‍♂️
For sure it would be a good idea to have a couple rounds handy. I put a couple in my bino harness, but it ain't exactly a quick retrieval.

You're over thinking this @Dave N . Since your gun isn't really accommodating for a cartridge holder, I'd either keep a few in your bino harness, or you can get cartridge wallets for your belt or backpack strap. I'm not really a fan of sling mounted cartridge holders, myself.

You can practice up with either arrangement and have a plenty quick reload.

Hit the range, get confident in yourself and your shooting abilities. You've got this.

Nothing but respect for the effort you are putting in!

T&K

FHF
Beat me too it! I think there would be a good way to do it if he was planning to use a bino harness but if not, I’d try something or make something like the versacarry ammo caddy. Adhesive-backed velcro on your butt stock or forend and slap one of the two or three round carriers on it. I know some “tactical” companies make velcro backed ammo cards for mounting ammo anywhere, personally my home defense shotgun has this on it. The weights of 5 or 6 rounds of 12Ga ammo has not ripped the ammo card off the receiver yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MidwestSniper03
Back