Savage Impulse / Straight pulls

isu22andy

Where are they ? I havent seen one in any gun store in the midwest. Admittedly not a gun junkie - but have they not taken off ? Anyone else seeing them ?

Where are they ? I havent seen one in any gun store in the midwest. Admittedly not a gun junkie - but have they not taken off ? Anyone else seeing them ?
Ive seen them - but i wasnt all that intrigued/impressed

They were heavy and not well accepted. I don’t know if they are still available or not

Seems like they are trying to rekindle the interest in the Blaser R8 rifle. Same (or similar) design. I don't recall much interest, and the price was really high.

Last edited:
I love the idea of straight pull actions. I hate that no one seems to consider making an ambidextrous design, icing us lefties out.

No, I haven’t seen one of these in person yet.

I bought one when they first came out, something different, had to try it lol. First impressions, heavy, but a fun and fast action. I'm currently in the process of doing a build on the action to see what it's really capable of. More on that another time. I truly think Savage screwed the pooch with their marketing and rollout. First of all, nobody wants heavy hunting rifles anymore. There are now lightweight versions of the Impulse but those should have been the first ones released. Second, and here's where I really think they screwed up, The Impulse uses the same action for all it's calibers, long, short and magnum it's all the same action length. The bolt head is removable. AND, the barrel is threaded to an extension which is clamped into the action, meaning the barrel can be removed by popping a couple screws and then reinstalled the same way, without having to rethread for head space. Now to me, these design features all scream one obvious thing. SWITCH...BARREL ....MULTI.....CALIBER .....HUNTING.....RIFLE. The receiver is stamped as "multi caliber". And yet four years after release there are no "caliber swap kits", not even the barrel extensions available so people can make their own kits with profit barrels. So, either Savage's marketing team is completely re.....I mean....not the sharpest tools in the shed...and never thought of the switch barrel idea, OR, they are planning on it and are slow rolling it for some reason. Which would also be a dumb decision. I'm no engineer or marketing professional but if I was in charge I would have released it right off the bat as a switch barrel, multi caliber platform, with caliber swap components immediately available. Or even better, release it as "Build your Impulse", choose your caliber (s), barrel(s), finish options, etc. The potential is definitely there, I just think the company marketing team is missing the mark. As one final note, I am quite happy so far with how mine shoots and I will report back when all the customizing is done. We shall see what it can really do.

Although we carry Savage, we purposely quit carrying these rifles as the were as absolute shiz show. We got more than 50% of what we sold back for functional problems. The BRX is monumentally a better rifle and design if you don't have the pockets for a Blaser ;) I own a couple of Savage rifles that have treated me well, but after what I saw from these you could not pay me to own one.

Although we carry Savage, we purposely quit carrying these rifles as the were as absolute shiz show. We got more than 50% of what we sold back for functional problems. The BRX is monumentally a better rifle and design if you don't have the pockets for a Blaser ;) I own a couple of Savage rifles that have treated me well, but after what I saw from these you could not pay me to own one.
What exactly were the issues?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back