Sage Grouse Question

Have eaten very few, crock pot works well.
Bomber, crock pot is all I know.
Younger bird, maybe marinate and then cook.
Might make good jerky.

Fun to hunt but I don't enjoy eating them so we rarely go hunt them anymore.
Someone surely has a good recipe for you.

Sage grouse are great to eat.

My wife is the cook. She likes to cook them in a liquor sauce and serve in chunks over rice. However, any good chicken recipe would work. Orange Sage Grouse (instead of chicken) would work too.

This is good. Younger birds are better but even the old roosters are good this way. Bone out the bird. Cut the breasts into steaks, 3 per side. Make a marinade of 2 cups of milk,2 eggs, a couple shakes of garlic salt,onion salt,paprika and pepper. Mix in a tsp of soy sauce and put in a ziplock along with the boned out bird. Refrig overnight. To cook, bread with Italian or seasoned bread crumbs and fry in olive oil until just done. Don't overdo it. So good you won't believe it's sagehen.

I shot one with archery in Wyoming. Probably a young bird. I didn't take particularly good care of it. Ultimately, I breasted it out and pulled the legs and cooked it rare in a cast iron skillet with salt pepper and butter. It tasted amazing and I can't wait for the next one. It's safe to eat dark meat birds rare.

Sage grouse are favorite upland bird! Cleaning them out in a timely manner is important. Don't let one sit in you game bag all day while you look for that second one. Get that thing cool. Lightly tenderized,lightly breaded and seasoned pan fried done medium-medium rarish is my personal favorite, served with new potatoes and asperges. But a chicken fry is good too. Honestly as long as you take care of the meat I haven't been disappointed with any recipe. I believe project upland and some other upland sites have some good reciepes that are different, when I'm looking for something the usual that's where I go for ideas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back