RIP Garmin Inreach … iPhones to allow satellite messages in ios18

The subject says it. iPhone users will be able to send iMessages via satellite when out of service starting with IOS 18. This is a great addition to the current SOS by satellite functionality of the newer iPhones. I will more than likely be retiring my inreach.
Technology can be an awesome money saver sometimes.

Looking at the update on Apple website my 15 plus won’t be included. Looks like I have to get a “Pro” to use this feature.

Looking at the update on Apple website my 15 plus won’t be included. Looks like I have to get a “Pro” to use this feature.
It is intended to be available on iPhone 14 and newer phones once you download and install iOS 18.

Works well for situations like hunting where you are walking and can point at a satellite. Not for driving applications.

Wife bought a Iphone16. The satellite messaging description says it will be free for two years and then a fee. Two years is enough time to drive Zoleo and InReach into the ground. One of my sons said Verizon is going to provide satellite messaging soon.

We’ll have to see what Apple charges in two years but I’ll have saved over $800 on Zoleo charges by then.

I deleted my Zoleo account this week and sold my Zoleo last night.😎

Last usage update. Second son and I texted satellite messenges to each other yesterday getting bird hunting updates 200 miles apart. Very easy to use. We would have never chatted about how our bird hunts were going with Zoleo.

Any guesses on how much increase in battery drainage (and need for more charges) using this feature this would cause? Any more/less/equal total power need than having a separate device?

Used for the first time this weekend. My thoughts…

A little more sensitive. I had trouble getting satellite connection in places I can generally send messages using my inreach.

Needs to be on SOS to connect to satellite. If my phone said I had 1 bar or even no bars but doesn’t show SOS, I couldn’t get a message out. Quite a few places my phone thinks it has service and shows 1 bar, but I am unable to do anything. So, I would actually have to drop down behind a ridge so it could go to SOS mode and connect to satellite. This was kind of annoying, but relatively minor.

Super easy to use. It shows you where the satellite is and you need to point your phone at it. Green light shows good connection. Messages go out fairly quickly. No noticeable difference in battery usage, but your phone does have to be off airplane mode and you have to actively keep pointing it at the satellite.

I probably won’t ditch my inreach yet. I can use it anywhere, anytime. Sometimes it takes a bit, but even in some timber I can generally get a message out without much effort. Even when camped in the trees I can just throw my inreach ontop of my tent and then message with my phone from a few feet away. Slow, but it works as long as the canopy isnt too thick. Messaging through iPhone satellites requires a bit more sky and a little more active effort to use. But if I have a wide open sky it’s faster and more convenient.

Last edited:
If I have a new I-phone and IOS 18 , can I send satellite messages to someone with an older I-phone ? Can I receive messages from that older i-phone also? (yes I'm an old guy that doesn't keep up on technology very well)

If I have a new I-phone and IOS 18 , can I send satellite messages to someone with an older I-phone ? Can I receive messages from that older i-phone also? (yes I'm an old guy that doesn't keep up on technology very well)
Yes, send and receive iMessage (blue messages) to any iphone

Somewhere I read that Apple is using the GlobalStar network for this. Same as the SPOT devices. When I was buying my InReach almost 10 years ago the Irridium network that InReach uses was considerably better than the GlobalStar network that SPOT was using and that's the main reason I bought an InReach instead of a SPOT.

I am curious if now that Apple is using the GlobalStar network if they will beef it up with a few more satellites or if the Irridium network will stay the better option.

Free with a decent network might be better than $$ for a tiny bit better network but if you are actually injured and can't move then it might be worth it to have the best coverage available.

I'm curious what kind of coverage T-Mobile is going to get with the Starlink partnership. Seems like there are a LOT of Starlink satellites up already and they are adding more all the time.

P.S. - I have an Iphone 13 Pro and was able to upgrade to IOS 18 so I think I should be able to use this with my phone. Haven't been in a place with no signal to try it since I upgraded though.

Last edited:
This is a bit unclear to me at this point. I tried messaging someone with an IPhone 13 and they didn’t get it. They did not have ios18 installed though either.

It says right in your iMessages when you send a satellite message “this person may not be able to reply from devices where the software hasn’t been updated.”

However, everything I’m reading says you have to have an iPhone 14 or newer. Unless I’m getting bad information that might mean you have to have iPhone 14 or newer AND iOS 18.

So, I don’t know if older iPhones can receive messages but not reply if they have iOS 18, or if they can’t do either if they don’t both have both the phone model and the software update.

I thought that was the original roll out but with IOS 18 others would as well but I think you are correct. I think I got confused because the 14 and newer phones could do emergency SOS already but then with IOS 18 they can text as well and I thought it was IOS 18 that was allowing that but the phone already needed to have it set up. Going down the rabbit hole it looks like the recipient needs to have upgraded to IOS 18 as well.

There is an article about how they have spent $450m to upgrade the GlobalStar network but there is still only 24 satellites so not sure how much improved it is going to be. Some stuff about ground antennas and things so maybe that will help.

This is a bit unclear to me at this point. I tried messaging someone with an IPhone 13 and they didn’t get it. They did not have ios18 installed though either.

It says right in your iMessages when you send a satellite message “this person may not be able to reply from devices where the software hasn’t been updated.”

However, everything I’m reading says you have to have an iPhone 14 or newer. Unless I’m getting bad information that might mean you have to have iPhone 14 or newer AND iOS 18.

So, I don’t know if older iPhones can receive messages but not reply if they have iOS 18, or if they can’t do either if they don’t both have both the phone model and the software update.
I was able to sat message someone on an IPhone 13 who was in cell service.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camposthetron
Back