Resurrecting "Red Green" a tough Toyota.

44hunter45

The saga of Red Green. A 1983 Toyota 4x4. The only new vehicle I had ever bought. Drove it off the lot as a flush bachelor in 1983. Rolled it within a month of buying it drifting dirt roads in the Sierra Nevada foothills. It was rebuilt by a local body shop.

So many hunt adventures and memories over the years in the rig.Weekend trips from San Jose back to the family ranch in the Gold Country to shoot squirrel, small game, coyotes and quail, multiple trips to Idaho to visit my sister and hunt.

Met a gal and got married. We started a family. I was commuting in this truck from the Santa Cruz mountains to San Jose every day.

This is a tale of a crazy tough truck, and a little bit of how not to treat your wife. Also an encouragement to those just starting out. When you are poor and have kids to feed, you do what you have to do. If you can hold the line on debt, you have better times ahead. (And stay away from after parties with pretty women...)

It became "Red Green" when I was in my early 30s. I was a banquet volunteer of the Hillsboro, CA RMEF Chapter. This was an hour drive each way from home. The banquet was March, 1993.
I will never forget the date because it is MRS birthday. We had three young boys at home and she did not attend. The youngest was 3 months old. This RMEF chapter was not what I would call a family oriented chapter. After the banquet there was an after party in the rooms the event center had comped. Playing poker and drinking with the ticket selling gals was not a good move with a homebound momma waiting at home. I opted to drive home. About a five miles from home I fell asleep and tipped over the truck. It happened right in front of a famous bar on Skyline Drive between Hillsboro and Santa Cruz. I was unhurt except for some glass cuts. A bunch of bikers came out of the bar at the sound of the crash. They helped my roll it back up on its wheels. I kicked out the spider webbed windshield and drove it home in the rain. Crawled into bed with glass cuts in my head about 3 in the morning. Happy Birthday,Momma. I'm home. This was the second time I had rolled it.

I found a cab clip locally and started the rebuild over the summer. The only cab I could get came out of a 2WD, so I had a lot of fab to do with the MIG welder. I couldn't afford one and a good work buddy loaned me his for the duration. I had all the bits and pieces laid out orderly on palettes and tarped in the yard. We were dirt poor. I could not afford to get it professionally painted. I bought a case of USFS green rattle can paint. I did some really crappy bondo work, black primed the cab and finished the cab in the USFS green.

I interviewed for my job transfer from California to Idaho in late July and was selected. I took all my vacation and focused on the project and getting the house ready to sell. The house needed all new dry wall and that came first. After that was done, MRS took over the painting chores on the house.

My new job started Monday, August 16th, 1993. My first "Toyotas are tough" moment came when I got the new cabs project completed on at 10PM on Friday August 13th. Hooked up the new battery, turn the key and it started. I left at dark thirty Saturday the 14th to drive to Idaho. This began three months of me find a place for us to live in Idaho, MRS selling the house in California with three kids under 5 years old.

It was four months before MRS and the boys made the final trip to Idaho and settled into our new property.

The first winter in Idaho I skidded in the snow and slammed a curb. This bent the passenger side rear axle plate and that tire wobbled. I did not know this until for some reason I was in MRS' car following her as she drove the truck. I just knew it had a vibration.

The next decades in Idaho that truck and I covered North Central Idaho and looked under every rook. Some of you going to U of I might remember seeing this ugly, goofy beast with the lame back wheel in Moscow.

The last time I rolled it was losing control in the snow on Idaho Highway 9 (aka The Harvard-Deary Cutoff) on my way to Grangeville. Being a short wheelbase, the rig was always squirrelly in the snow. Once again some good old boys helped me tip it upright and I drove it home.

So I've rolled it three times. When my sons started driving I bought a full sized GMC because it was more stable. Red Green became like Woody in Toy Story. I still cared about it, but Andy had grown up, so to speak. The new GMC "Big Red" could haul twice as much hay and firewood and I could et the whole family in it for adventures.

So eventually Red Green ended up with a growing pile of ranch metal which I was someday going to recycle. The tires when flat and the moss started to grow. Needed the battery for some other rig one day and that was that.

Last week I put a battery in it, shot a little alcohol in the carb and it fired right up. Now I have a new money pit project.

Kudos to Toyota. One tough SOB of a truck.

IMG_3738.JPG

Last edited:
Coming home to find the truck parked in the driveway and the metal recycler coming to clean up the yard, MRS rolled her eyes and looked at me like an old fool. She asked me if I think I will survive tip over number 4. I may have finally learned to keep it on its wheels. Miss T and I are gonna have some new adventures in this rig. Bring out the money roll.

Miss T is a 14 year old gear head, and I love it. Some of our adventures will be under the hood, some in the woods. She has that 1988 GMC in her eye for a full make-over too.

Last edited:
I had a '91 pickup for a few years before selling it due to a growing family. Now I have an 04 tacoma. Kids are still growing but I'm going to hold on to it. This will be a good thread. Following.

My first truck was a 79' Toyota pickup. That was the first year they put 4WD in their trucks. I bought it when i was a senior in HS in 91' and it had 150k miles. I drove the heck out of it for about 10 years and sold it when the transmission went out in it. I really wish I would have held onto it and fixed it up.

That truck is, as the kids would say, cool AF. Awesome to see that yard survivor coming back to life as it deserves to.

BTW - If you love these trucks, you have to watch Jeremy Clarkson's series "Killing a Toyota" on YT.

I'd drive that thing.

Looks like it might be in better shape than my 87 4 runner I drive quite often. Haha.

I started new pain meds for my shingles related nerve pain last week. My buddy takes the same stuff. He says today it may make you manic when you first start on it.
No Sh1t !
I better finish this project before I come down.

Coming home to find the truck parked in the driveway and the metal recycler coming to clean up the yard, MRS rolled her eyes and looked at me like an old fool. She asked me if I think I will survive tip over number 4. I may have finally learned to keep it on its wheels. Miss T and I are gonna have some new adventures in this rig. Bring out the money roll.

Miss T is a 14 year old gear head, and I love it. Some of our adventures will be under the hood, some in the woods. She has that 1988 GMC in her eye for a full make-over too.
hard to beat an old Toyota for learning to wrench on... the "money roll" is pretty affordable by the standards of modern trucks.

not going to lie - I saw the title of this thread and was totally expecting it to be about doing something "red green like" to this Toyota.

1719513646509.png

Well - I picked up some Taco take-off rims with tires off CL last night had to make the Spokane run and back before bed. $200.
Need the 16" to clear the calipers when I do the rear disc brake conversion.

Need to eat up these cheap Wal-Mart tires so I can put something more aggressive on there. The old GMC runs on 235/75R16 Federal Couragias and they have been great.
I'm a 6 ply snob because the rocks on Idaho's alpine roads eat 4 ply for fun.

They certainly butch up the old girl. The only issue is they hit the steering arms. Time for some Red Green duct tape work. No doubt there is an aftermarket steering arm out there for a boatload of money.

When I was an on-the-road service tech, we would say - "Take a call, make call". Meaning if you fix one thing something else will break.

Now ordering 1/4 spacers and 24 of the correct lug nuts. Its like burning $20 bills

IMG_3744.JPG

Last edited:
@seeth07 - Time to live up to the challenge. Got my blue dykem marker and my angle grinder. These wheel ARE going to work.
The first attempt "touch up" the steering arms got the wheel from 1/4 from the hub before contact to ALMOST THERE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livingt_o_hunt
Back