Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Public Shaming Drone Flying POS

5 Miles deep in flip flops?

Probably trying to create some original Only Fans content, and goody 2 shoes got all worked up.

I think some people would stand in line for a chance to let their Karen run free.

View attachment 335692This guy launched, flew, and landed his drone (visible on the blanket in the foreground) from a point 5 miles inside the Bridger Wilderness. When I approached him, he and his lady friend were acting almighty nervous, but when I confronted him, he said "I didn't see a sign." I sent the pics to the USFS. If anyone knows this guy, I would like to give his name to the USFS LEO who replied to me.

Edited to clarify that the drone was within the Wilderness the entire time of the incident.
Snitches get stitches

Ah, I didn't see a sign, like I have never heard that one before. Ignorance and entitlement at its best as usual. People need to police because there are so many of these types of people these days no matter what the real issue is you are calling them on. Anyone who just walks by and does not at least try to inform these types of people of the issue are part of the the problem as well. To say, oh well, its not up to me to police, well....it really is unless you want to continue to see ignorance and entitlement to continue. You would not just let someone shoot an elk in front of you out of season and not say something would you? :p

Just so it's clear for all the people using Karen references. If someone is actually doing something illegal and you call it out that is not being a Karen that's calling a spade a spade. Being a Karen is getting bent over something just cause they don't like it. Good on you @COEngineer

Not safe for work, but Hilljack going full Silent Bob here

Regarding drones for scouting wildlife, I don't see it being very different than trail cameras. I'm pretty conflicted about trail cameras, but many hunters love them.
I whole level of magnitude different with a drone with infrared.

Last winter I went out and helped map burning coal seams with a drone. With that drone we could see every deer in a drainage of several square miles in less than a half hour.

Last winter I went out and helped map burning coal seams with a drone. With that drone we could see every deer in a drainage of several square miles in less than a half hour.
You guys were able to find the 1 deer left in that drainage? Impressive technology. Just wait until the Washington guys get their hands on that

A drone with thermal capabilities is absolutely a bridge too far. While it would be really nice to be able to use one to search for archery hit deer, that genie needs to stay in the bottle.

In 2023, the leg passed SB 84, which clarified that scouting for animals with a drone is illegal if they are being hunted "the same calendar day". I would have been fine with it going a bit further than a day. I've seen how well a drone can be used to locate mountain goats pretty easily - saves a guy a lot of vert.

Be it just photos/video or even different sensors like IR, when combined with the AI that's here and coming, I do not believe it will be long before a guy can pop a drone up, pan around a countryside, and be told by a system what and where is out there far better than his own eyes and brain could identify.

Attachments

• Montana-2023-SB84-Enrolled.pdf
    114.6 KB · Views: 2
Went into the forest service office to ask how to report the (electric) mtn bikers I keep running into on the easy trails. Now I have the local patrols name and number, and it turns out they are specifically targeting mtn biker violations in wilderness areas this year. Should be fun. heading out for the opener on Saturday. I have not run into drone operators, yet...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozarkhuntress
Back