Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Protection in bear country

If you’re convinced you need a handgun for bears, you should probably be carrying a good shotgun you’re competent with.
I've always wondered about this. If you have a non-hunting member in your party, what would be the effectiveness of carrying a shotgun loaded with 00 buck?

I carry a rope. When I go to sleep, I use it to form a circle around my tent. A grizzly bear will never cross the rope.
This grizzly bear had no issue with crossing a hose.

Attachments

• B1F475B0-6019-4BA5-915C-FA7F4C92C423.jpeg
    B1F475B0-6019-4BA5-915C-FA7F4C92C423.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 24
Aneurysms are not all one flavor in cause or how they ultimately cause morbidity and mortality. Cerebral, coronary, aortic, and other aneurysms are all a bit different. Sounds like your family member has a collagen disease of some kind, which seems pretty scary to not know when something might happen.

In regards to the horse accident, head trauma causes epidural and subdural hematomas, not aneurysms, though you can get traumatic subarachnoid hemorrhages. Cerebral aneurysm formation is linked to cigarette smoking, genetics, alcohol use, and hypertension (among other things) and aren't fully understood, but are not linked to head trauma. Rupture of cerebral aneurysms is another part of the process, and causes subarachnoid hemorrhage. Linking bear spray to the horse accident is one thing, clearly causative, but linking bear spray to a horse accident to head trauma to aneurysm formation and then aneurysm rupture weeks later is a far different thing that is really inappropriate. Could the friend have had a traumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage? Possibly, but he would likely have had symptoms of that before the deer stand incident.

*kicks soap box into next county*

Sorry about your friend cornbread, I hope he's doing okay.
In the end, he had a stent put in. His biggest worry over the past 3 years is surviving colon cancer. And he's been diabetic since his early 20s. All I know is that he got bounced from a horse, hit his head, and 2 weeks later they were putting a stent in his head. Im not a vascular surgeon, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Good luck. Share some pictures!
Plenty of sign. But no bear. Great time, beautiful drainage, and the toughest hike of my life. 2000 feet in 3/4 of a mile with a pile of crap on my back. At age 57 I just think of it as a challenge 😁

We had a great time. Got to test the tipi, although there was no need for the stove. Good test run regardless. And I got to do it with my son in law. Now, I just need to be able to stay healthy to this with that grand kid that's on the way!

We glassed up a few gorgeous muleys. They do exist, just not where most people are willing to go.

20240614_084612.jpg20240614_091546.jpg20240613_190720.jpg20240613_175649.jpg20240613_160935.jpg20240613_113821.jpg20240613_102344.jpg
20240613_095031.jpg

I used to carry a pistol but once I started bear hunting and learned how skittish and shy they are, I just doesn't seem worth the weight anymore.

On a related note, I was in Sportsmans Warehouse a couple weeks ago and (from the other side of the store) I overheard the kid behind the gun counter telling a customer all about how a 9mm won't break the hide of a bear, so you need at least a 45 if not a 50 cal. Seems legit.

Why was he carrying spray in CO? I carry my pistol here when I'm not hunting with a rifle, but that's more for the meth heads in the parking lot, not the bears...
LOL not sure why he carries it
I dont never have if I was in Grizz country I would but Ive had dozens of up close encounters with black bear never had an issue even had several bluff charges they are intense but the bears seem to loose interest in a bit and head off another direction

Kenetrek Boots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
manbugle
Back