Pronghorn Calls?

WyoDoug

I noticed in the last couple years after I put my hearing aids in and had them turned up by mistake that I heard some sounds made by antelope I got close to in my daily rounds and that. Not just alarm calls but the bucks seemed to be making sounds shortly before they got in a fight. So I did some research and it seems that at a minimum you might be able to stop bucks in a run or make one turn around so you got a more broadside shot. So what you all think about this? This was only $10 so I thought I would try it with this years speadgoat hunt.

1722994020625.jpeg

They are certainly very vocal animals. I’ve seen calls in stores, but I’ve never given much thought to trying one.
Neither have I but when I heard sounds they were making thanks to my new hearing aids, I thought I would try one. They only cost about $10 bucks so it's not a whole lot of money lost if they don't work.

ELK INC out of Gardiner makes some of their little “rubber-band sandwich” calls for pronghorn. I’ve considered trying them. Was dubious about the efficacy of their deer calls, but they brought animals right to me last fall. It was fun to mess with.

I recall an older post in HT talking about pronghorn calls in general, but can’t readily dig it up.

Lohman made a wooden call back in the day, we still have one.
Used it in NM on a pronghorn hunt and they work but need to be right circumstances.

Won't stop a herd a full flight, but can be effective if you're trying to get a non-spooked antelope to stop for a shot.

Attachments

• antelope.jpg
    antelope.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 6
A few years ago I inadvertently called in a pronghorn with a predator call. Last morning of the hunt, not seeing any, we decided to call to the coyote's we'd been hearing all weekend to see if we could get one to come in. The coyote's responded and started to get really worked up. I think a buck was bedded in their vicinity, because lo and behold a pronghorn buck came tearing ass from that direction. I was able to get behind a rock pile and he stopped 150 yards broadside. Great end to a fun weekend.

Another trick a hunter from this group suggested when he hunted with me is using black umbrellas as a decoy. Something else I am gonna try with the calls. Wanna find out if they work. And Randy managed to make that stupid hat work so why is it stupid? LOL

Another trick a hunter from this group suggested when he hunted with me is using black umbrellas as a decoy. Something else I am gonna try with the calls. Wanna find out if they work. And Randy managed to make that stupid hat work so why is it stupid? LOL
just get an ultimate predator bow mounted decoy. and add the eyes as an option they sell as well. works!

I've had good luck just blowing in rabbit distress call. I think it's louder than calls made specifically for antelope. The hats works amazing.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishonfleek
Back