PEAX Equipment

2nd Rifle Elk Colorado Weather conditions

That storm was a bitch, it killed a lot of peach tree’s in Palisade. It also pushed elk down to within a mile of the house for an easy freezer fill.
We got this snow creature on the back screen during that storm.IMG_4428.jpeg

A lot of good advice on here, and I agree that the weather conditions can be anything that time of year and can change rapidly. As was mentioned, bring it all and you can adjust right before you head in with the most up to date forecast. However, I'd make sure that you are able to continually monitor the forecast, because it can change fast.

Regarding your gear, it sounds like we have a lot of the same items, so here is what I normally wear for 2nd rifle season: Under Armour cold gear long underwear (regular unless it's super cold, then I do have the 2.0 or 3.0 bottoms), Sitka Mountain or Timberline pants, Sitka Core Midweight 1/4 Zip, and then any combination of the Kelvin Vest, Kelvin Active Jacket, and Jetstream Jacket. On the coldest days, I might have all three of those on first thing in the morning, but normally it's not needed, and I can get away with just the vest and Jetstream. I do run somewhat warm temperature-wise, but this combination is the most I'd ever need during a later rifle season.

Also, don't forget about gloves...depending on the weather, you might need some warm ones.

Yes, it can be cold in 2R, or you could be in a t-shirt, but probably a jacket...

Bring all your layers, leave them in the truck until you have a 2- or 3-day forecast and then pack accordingly.
This

Very unpredictable. Any season in CO can be snow one day and 80 the next. All has to do with which way the weather comes in.

duh

This

Very unpredictable. Any season in CO can be snow one day and 80 the next. All has to do with which way the weather comes in.

duh

Sounds like you have the clothing figured out. I would caution you about the effects of altitude as much as any concern you have about clothing. Drink as much water as you can. Stay away from booze. Take it easy the first couple of days. Get to lower elevation if you notice you are having light headiness or head aches. I was raised where you will be hunting and got my first elk and deer there. Expect a lot of other hunters. Be kind to those you meet.

A lot of good advice on here, and I agree that the weather conditions can be anything that time of year and can change rapidly. As was mentioned, bring it all and you can adjust right before you head in with the most up to date forecast. However, I'd make sure that you are able to continually monitor the forecast, because it can change fast.

Regarding your gear, it sounds like we have a lot of the same items, so here is what I normally wear for 2nd rifle season: Under Armour cold gear long underwear (regular unless it's super cold, then I do have the 2.0 or 3.0 bottoms), Sitka Mountain or Timberline pants, Sitka Core Midweight 1/4 Zip, and then any combination of the Kelvin Vest, Kelvin Active Jacket, and Jetstream Jacket. On the coldest days, I might have all three of those on first thing in the morning, but normally it's not needed, and I can get away with just the vest and Jetstream. I do run somewhat warm temperature-wise, but this combination is the most I'd ever need during a later rifle season.

Also, don't forget about gloves...depending on the weather, you might need some warm ones.
I have similar gear in the Sitka Midweight, jetstream, timberline etc. I have a Midweight pair of OR gloves, Midweight fleece OR gloves and a pair of gore Tex OR mitts as well. I hope with this combo that would be enough.

Sounds like you have the clothing figured out. I would caution you about the effects of altitude as much as any concern you have about clothing. Drink as much water as you can. Stay away from booze. Take it easy the first couple of days. Get to lower elevation if you notice you are having light headiness or head aches. I was raised where you will be hunting and got my first elk and deer there. Expect a lot of other hunters. Be kind to those you meet.
That’s why I don’t want to go above 10k. I don’t drink anyways so that’s not a problem. Excited to get out there and get after it.

I will be going on my first elk hunt in 2nd rifle in Colorado this year with my buddy from WV. We will be shooting for the area west of aspen, crested butte without listing the exact unit and was trying to gather some info about the possible weather conditions. 2nd rifle is Oct 26th -Nov 3rd. I've looked at historical weather for this general area and have seen it can be 40-50s during the day with temps in the single digits obviously dependent upon the elevation. I have never been to Colorado but have experience with below 0 temps while outdoors for over a 12 hour period (not the most enjoyable thing I've done for sure) while in the Marine Corps during training and also hunting in WV with temps down into the teens during the morning and evenings. My question is how many base layers do others usually bring along with them when hunting in these areas at this time of year?

I will start out cold from where we start hiking into the unit then when we stop put other layers on and continue that for the duration of the hunt. My normal pack weight counting water is around 25-30 lbs without tent/stove, etc. My issue is if I bring the Traverse hoodie is that it is heavy and takes up a lot of room but it is warm especially if I use it underneath my jetstream or my rain jacket. I will have one lightweight base layer on then one extra in the pack for sure. Also will probably have the sitka midweight, kiln top, and sitka merino bottom in my pack along with the puffy for sure. I wouldn't mind picking up an extra heavyweight layer like the heavyweight hoodie or something equal to that. Any input is appreciated.

I currently have the following in regards to layers:
Lightweight - 3 synthetic long sleeve tops, 2 synthetic bottoms.
Midweight - Sitka midweight 1/4 zip, North face fleece full zip, First Lite Kiln top/bottom, Sitka Merino 330 bottom
Insulation - Sitka Kelvin puffy, Sitka Traverse hoodie
It's just starting to cool down here in Grand Lake, CO. Bring all your gear. As you likely know the weather changes quickly in the CO mountains!

Been hunting that general part of CO since the early 90's mostly 2R season. Take everything you have and keep an eye on the forecasts closer to your hunt. Very unpredictable that time of year. Could be a heat wave like last year or a white out. Flip a coin.

If you haven't ever used tire chains, practice a few times at home. I'm glad I did. It's one thing to get them on at home, another thing when you're in a foot of snow and it's freezing and blowing. They work good in the corn flour crazy slick forest service roads after it rains. Your front tires chained will let you break and steer better, the back only gives you push. Have a great time. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rut
Back