Please BEAR with me, 2024 is going to be full of unBEARable surprises!!!

After getting back from our hike, it was early evening so we got our fishing gear ready and headed out of the inlet to hopefully cruise around and do some trolling for salmon. The seas appeared to have calmed a bit after we left our secluded bay so we put the rods out and started fishing.

It didn't take long and we spotted another bear not far at all from camp. It was a sow and had a cub with her.

20240525_125803.jpg

We continued to cruise along the south shore of Big Bay and about half way down another bear popped out for a brief moment before scurring back into the forest. This was a much larger bear but due to rolling seas and short time he was out we never got a good look. It didn't really matter anyways since we were in the hunting penalty box for the day due to Alaska's no hunting on same day flying rule.

We trolled around for awhile and never caught anything and after 2 hours or so, the winds had really picked up again so we headed slowly back to the safety of our secluded bay.

We got a small fire going so we could get our rain gear and cuffs of our sleeves dried out. My wife also discovered that her one rubber boat had a small hole and her sock was wet. The warm from the fire and being completely out of the rain was appreciated as well. I'm not sure it's going to be easy to leave this place to tent it.

We wake up early the next morning but it is already extremely light out. It's 5:30am and it is pouring with heavy gusting winds. We look out past the secluded waters of our bay and see big white caps from Big Bay crossing onto the west rocky shores. We decide that if we be careful and take it easy, we should be able to get past the first main point and then start to get cover and protection from the islands and we can look around and back into the waters behind them.

It was indeed a rough and adventurous boat ride to get past that point but our skiff is well built of solid aluminum and it is amazing how it could handle 4 to 5 foot crashing waves. I have a lot of experience dealing with rough nasty weather on Lake Michigan and how to throttle and play the waves so that helped. What we did this morning and a few other times on our trip I'm guessing would have scared a few people trying to do this same type of DIY trip and although my wife was getting nervous a few times, I felt pretty comfortable but it was close to my limit.

Once clearing the head of the first island and the waves settling down, we put the rods in and started to duel task troll for salmon and look for bears. We did this all morning and into the early afternoon, in around the islands and looking back into main land bays behind them without spotting a single bear or catching a single fish. We did see plenty of seals, eagles, martins and sea otters. The abundance of marine life equals if not surpasses what's in the forests.

20240526_083851.jpg

Looking for bears but no success today.
20240526_083855.jpg

20240526_083858.jpg

Wife always on rock lookout as we went between islands and back into bays.
20240526_101919.jpg

The ride back to camp once we cleared the last island protecting us was better but still a slow rough ride in heavy winds and spraying white cap seas. We make it back around 3pm and after eating some food, decide to hike along the river again and go much further this time. We had seen some nice open areas with a lot of grass along the river and a small lake and figured maybe we could stumble across a bear. No such luck however.

I do extremely regret not having a spinning rod along (not a fly fisherman). While walking along the river, numerous times I saw trout swirling and even saw a few laying in the current of shallower water. Steelhead/rainbow and cutthroat would be my guess as that is what is native to these waters. The one was easily a few pounds and over 20 inches.

It was a long hike and pretty much wrapped up our day. It was a miserable day in general dealing with pouring rains and heavy gusting winds. Such is expected when coming to SE AK.

20240526_134012.jpg

20240526_135125.jpg

Monday's game plan was to head back behind the islands again and get to this narrow inlet we saw that had some super strong currents preventing us from safety taking the boat up further. There was a small bay near it where we figured we could anchor the boat in and go on a hike to check out a lot of tidal flat areas back around this narrow inlet. Second, we needed to find a way to get something to bait our 2 crab pots we had rented with the boat. By now we figured we would have a salmon carcass but I think we were just too far in away from the main bodies of water where most salmon would be this time of year.

The trek across Big Bay was better this morning but still not great. We make it behind the islands and in a deep water hole we found the day before, we decide to jig on the bottom for awhile. 2 hours go by jigging from 140 fow up to 30 fow and we still have zero fish to show for it.

We get to the inlet about an hour before low tide and it is a full blown raging river. We anchor the boat and start walking over to it and we notice ahead in the tidal region along this inlet it is teeming with life. We spend almost an hour exploring and taking photos of all kinds of various marine life.

20240527_105345.jpg

20240527_105723.jpg

Anyone know what this is?
20240527_111033.jpg

Look how small that crab is!
20240527_112840.jpg

Lots of jellyfish and different kinds.
20240527_145035.jpg

We had noticed some spitting water and figured it was some kind of shellfish down in the gravel and rocks. Yup, they were clams and after spending some time digging for them, we were able to collect a bunch of them that we could shuck and have crab bait! We got the two bait holders loaded with clam guts and then we proceeded to go on our planned hike.

20240527_112402.jpg

20240527_112644.jpg

We make it about a half mile around the inlet and as shown on the map, it opens up into a huge tidal flat with lots of bays. We glass around and wait a bit but no bears appear.

20240527_103826.jpg

We get back to the boat and make our way back to camp. The weather is really picking up at this point and about the worst we have seen so far. We get to our secluded bay and we set a crap pot right at the entrance in 90 fow and then another much closer to the inlet with a lot of current in 50 fow.

After getting soaked from the ride and back at camp, there is no doubt the morale for both of us is getting extremely low. Another day without spotting a bear and the weather is bad enough that it is borderline not safe to even head anywhere else. We also haven't been able to fish where I would actually like to due to the seas in Big Bay as well as back out in the main bay we came in on.

We eat some supper, get a fire going and relax a bit. After looking our into Big Bay and seeing the white caps and rolling seas, it was extremely tough to find it in us to keep trying. Regardless, we knew we had to head back out to at least check the crab pots to see if we had any luck or need to move them.

The story has now reached my prelude (post #52).

My wife vanishes into the point and I get the boat back out away from shore a few hundred yards and back a bit to where I can see back into the small bay. I don't see the bear reappear for probably 10 mintues and then I see him pop out onto a patch of green grass to feed and wait for a shot. Nothing. Then I catch some movement to the left and I can see my wife sneaking along the shore. She must not have been able to see him or maybe he was too far (he was 480 yards and yes, too far).

The bear disappears from my view for awhile, pops back out for only a brief moment and then gone again. I can't see my wife or where she ended up but we had agreed that for these drop off stalks, the person in the boat would at least wait an hour giving the hunter a solid chance to get in position and wait the bear out. It's been about 20 minutes only and even though I thought we only had about an hour or light left, it just never seems to get dark here in Alaska. It's late but still lots of light left to shoot and as I'm thinking of that, I hear a shot. Lots of seconds go by and then another. A whole minute goes by and then another.

What in the heck I'm thinking...she just shooting him on the beach because he keeps moving? We did agree that tracking a bear in the pouring rain would suck so the plan was to try and take an anchoring shot if possible and to keep shooting until he stops moving.

I fire up the motor and head into the bay. I don't see a bear anywhere on the beach and I don't see my wife. I power down the boat and float in for awhile until I finally see my wife get up. It was amazing how her camo blended her into the rocks and I couldn't even see her sitting there less than 100 yards away.

I get up to her and she is still filled with adreline and excitement. She explains that she was so excited and rushed that she screwed up the first shot completely and shot over him. He just stood there and kept feeding so she shot again and it felt good but she was confused because he ran off and then popped back out to feed again. The final shot she is positive she hit him as he acted weird and ran off.

We get over to where he was and we don't see any hair or blood. Honestly it was pouring so I didn't exactly expect to find blood. We head off the beach and into what can only be described as a jungle. It's downed trees, devils club and brush and based on the first 50 feet of walking, my hopes of easily finding a dead bear in here dwindle. We can see that it really opens up about 50 yards to the right so we decide to head that way and then make a plan to work our way back into the thick stuff. We make that small loop and I choose to walk on the big downed trees heading back into the thicket hoping it would give me a better view to find a dead bear. I make it to my third downed tree and just above me another 20 yards I can see a big black spot - there he is.

I call for my wife to work her way over to him with her having the rifle to check him out and she arrives to find a completely dead bear. Talk about a morale boost.

We take a few photos and determine that it may be possible for us to pick up/drag him back to the beach and hopefully into the boat where we could then do all the processing back at camp where we could be dry.

20240527_205925.jpg

Turns out that with a lot of cussing and complaining and the use of a few ropes we were able to make it happen. He wasn't a monster bear but definitely a pretty respectable bear and we were both extremely happy with what we had just accomplished. For anyone who is big on DIY type hunts that require a lot of planning and logistics to make it happen, you know exactly the feeling we had in this moment when the bear got up and into the boat.

20240527_211636.jpg

20240527_212411.jpg

With big wide smiles, the pouring rain and big seas on the short boat ride to the first crab pot at the secluded bay entrance didn't even bother us. We get to the pot and my wife finds out real quick how much effort it takes to pull up the pot out of 90 fow by hand. She gets it to the surface to find out its completely empty. We decided to just toss it back out for now and deal with a new location tomorrow morning.

We get to the next pot in shallower water and when she can see the pot at the surface she yells out "no flipping way, there's actually crabs in it!"

20240527_214236.jpg

10 crabs were in that first pot we pulled with 8/10 of them being legal males. We kept our daily limit of 3 each and sent the rest back to the ocean floor along with the pot. We went back to the deep water one to pull it up and reset it shallower by the other one quick.

20240527_214951.jpg

Back at camp, we get unloaded including the bear up to the porch of the cabin. We had noticed some heavy hooks from the roof beams earlier and thought they were going to be perfect to hang the bear from where we can be out of the rain. Sure enough it worked great and within an hour or so we had the bear hide off and the guts out. Not exactly sure what happened with her first two shots but the third one was good, going in at the 4th rib from the back and out at the 3rd rib from the back. Hit both lungs and the liver. In total, he ran probably 90 to 100 yards straight uphill.

20240527_231400.jpg

Its just after midnight and we get our wet clothes hung above a fire that is now going and we pass out. Going to sleep in and spend the next day processing amd packaging meat.

Layover almost over in SEA TAC and will be on a plane shortly. Will write up a bunch more on this flight. Still some more to tell!

Ok I lied. Flight just got delayed.

As I said, this next day was just going to be all about getting this bear taken care of. The weather was still completely crap so there wasn't much motivation to take a break and do anything else anyways other than check our crab pots.

20240528_080947.jpg

20240528_082031.jpg

20240528_105937.jpg

We also cleaned the crabs from the night before and decided to boil some for supper.

20240528_094803.jpg

20240528_094836.jpg

20240528_100421.jpg

20240528_104301.jpg

20240528_111733.jpg

Checking the crab pots was always fun as it was the same result almost every single time. A few occasions with nothing in a pot or only a couple but in general, every 6 hours we checked and found 5 to 10.

20240528_084723.jpg

20240528_094842.jpg

Wednesday we woke up to an entirely different situation outside. It wasn't windy and it was only a slight drizzle with breaks in the sky.

We head out to the center of Big Bay and try some jigging in deep water and finally catch a fish. Extremely small flounder but it's something!

20240528_163219.jpg

20240528_171233.jpg

Would you look at that, blue sky! Don't worry, it didn't last long.
20240529_100847.jpg

We head back behind the islands and back to the inlet with the raging river. We anchor up again, go get more claws for bait and then head back into the large tidal flats for the middle part of the day. We spend a few hours back there glassing and looking and don't spot a bear but put on some good miles hiking and enjoyed that there was only small short lived rain showers.

20240529_113222.jpg20240529_113224.jpg

While sitting down and enjoying some lunch, we watched a martin dive down and then come back up with a crab and he decided to come right to us to eat it.

20240529_115058.jpg

We get back to camp in the evening and eat some bear meat for supper and hang out for a bit relaxing and enjoying the day. We were both pretty tired but decided to head back out to do some fishing in Big Bay again since it was so calm out. Boy am I sure glad we did!

We cruise out into Big Bay and the plan was to head to the big long point and try some jigging in some deep water off of it. The weather is gorgeous and I'm personally just enjoying it in route to the fishing spot I had selected on the map when my wife blurts out that she sees a bear.

I slow down and within seconds of looking at this bear I can tell he is one worth a close look. We had decided that the first bear we weren't going to be super picky and it was great that we got a pretty decent boar anyways. The second bear was going to have to be a "wow" type bear to deal with the logistical challenges it was going to bring to us having to get two bears home.

Where he was, I wasn't exactly sure that my stalk was going to work. He was headed around a point and figured the only way it would work is if he came back my way due to wind direction. My wife insisted that he was just going to continue around the point and down that opposite shore and by the time I got to the point where he was, he would be far enough away that he wouldn't wind me anymore from the wind coming at him. I trusted her and decided to give it a shot and she dropped me off about a 1/2 mile from the bear, out of sight, and I began walking towards him.

I went slow because I wanted to make sure that the bear had time to work his way hopefully away from that point. I get within 200 yards of the point and I start to carefully work my way from large rock to large rock to avoid making a sound. It's not anywhere near quiet when you just walk across the gravel and/or rocks. I get right at the point and start to peak step by step. I finally catch a glimpse of him and he is feeding away with no clue I'm coming. I get a range and he is only 140 yards. I got nothing by me for a good rest but 30 yards in front of my is a massive 3 foot tall log lengthwise pointed to the bear and I decide I should have no problem sneaking to that log.

I slowly get there, drop my pack and closely look at the bear. All I have is a big round ass to look at for awhile and then he turns a bit sideways and I see a big head and hardly a neck, just head to body. His snout looks small. I recall many on here talking about how that's a good way to know you are looking at a good bear - I'm looking at a good bear. He waddles as he walks, actually it's hard not to laugh he looks so rediculous.

I have to snap out of it. I realized that he is walking away from me and all I'm doing is watching him through my binoculars and this is a bear I shouldn't be passing up. 175 is the range and I drop my bino and ready the rifle. I climb up onto this huge log and go prone and crawl my way up to a knot where I can lay my rifle forearm on the knot for a perfect prone bench shot.

He is still walking away and won't stop. I can tell he has gone at least 100 yards and I'm getting nervous he isn't going to give me a shot. I adjust my scope from 200 to a 300 yard shot. He reaches the last patch of green grass and stops, still facing away. I'm practicing my breathing and mentally taking fake shots. I don't think I have ever been so calm taking a shot, zero buck fever and purely focused and ready. He makes that turn finally fully broadside and I tell myself one more fake shot. Done, solid. I do it for real and just like that, it's all over as I see him flopping on his back on the grass patch for 10 seconds and then nothing. He is finished.

I jump up and let out a whahou in excitement to cue my wife but she had already fired up the motor and was coming. She watched the whole thing and later told me I was killing her with how long that took because I was so patient. Jokingly she told me to never do that to her again as it was giving her anxiety!

She arrives, we get the boat anchored and we make our way to him.

There is no doubt he is a "wow" bear. Absolutely stunning creature and beyond impressive what this old warrior has gone through. He had scars, puncture wounds, torn ear and a ripped off claw.

Words cannot easily describe how I felt standing over this giant beast. I have never killed a bear before nor any big game animal I don't think that was this old. It certainly was a strong mix of emotions.

20240529_214251.jpg

20240529_214416.jpg

20240529_214501.jpg

There was no way we were moving this bear off the beach as we struggled to just reposition him for some photos. Processing would have to happen right here. Only problem is that knives are all back at camp (oops).

Back we go to get the knives and return to the bear to begin the long process of getting him skun out and all the meat salvaged. This takes us about 3 to 4 hours which wasn't a real big deal since our boat ended up getting stuck anyways at the falling tide. We end up back at camp around 3am because we had to also check and rebait those crab pots since they had been soaking for over 12 hours by now. No worries though, lots of time to sleep in - bear hunting is done!

We cruise out into Big Bay and the plan was to head to the big long point and try some jigging in some deep water off of it. The weather is gorgeous and I'm personally just enjoying it in route to the fishing spot I had selected on the map when my wife blurts out that she sees a bear.

I slow down and within seconds of looking at this bear I can tell he is one worth a close look. We had decided that the first bear we weren't going to be super picky and it was great that we got a pretty decent boar anyways. The second bear was going to have to be a "wow" type bear to deal with the logistical challenges it was going to bring to us having to get two bears home.

Where he was, I wasn't exactly sure that my stalk was going to work. He was headed around a point and figured the only way it would work is if he came back my way due to wind direction. My wife insisted that he was just going to continue around the point and down that opposite shore and by the time I got to the point where he was, he would be far enough away that he wouldn't wind me anymore from the wind coming at him. I trusted her and decided to give it a shot and she dropped me off about a 1/2 mile from the bear, out of sight, and I began walking towards him.

I went slow because I wanted to make sure that the bear had time to work his way hopefully away from that point. I get within 200 yards of the point and I start to carefully work my way from large rock to large rock to avoid making a sound. It's not anywhere near quiet when you just walk across the gravel and/or rocks. I get right at the point and start to peak step by step. I finally catch a glimpse of him and he is feeding away with no clue I'm coming. I get a range and he is only 140 yards. I got nothing by me for a good rest but 30 yards in front of my is a massive 3 foot tall log lengthwise pointed to the bear and I decide I should have no problem sneaking to that log.

I slowly get there, drop my pack and closely look at the bear. All I have is a big round ass to look at for awhile and then he turns a bit sideways and I see a big head and hardly a neck, just head to body. His snout looks small. I recall many on here talking about how that's a good way to know you are looking at a good bear - I'm looking at a good bear. He waddles as he walks, actually it's hard not to laugh he looks so rediculous.

I have to snap out of it. I realized that he is walking away from me and all I'm doing is watching him through my binoculars and this is a bear I shouldn't be passing up. 175 is the range and I drop my bino and ready the rifle. I climb up onto this huge log and go prone and crawl my way up to a knot where I can lay my rifle forearm on the knot for a perfect prone bench shot.

He is still walking away and won't stop. I can tell he has gone at least 100 yards and I'm getting nervous he isn't going to give me a shot. I adjust my scope from 200 to a 300 yard shot. He reaches the last patch of green grass and stops, still facing away. I'm practicing my breathing and mentally taking fake shots. I don't think I have ever been so calm taking a shot, zero buck fever and purely focused and ready. He makes that turn finally fully broadside and I tell myself one more fake shot. Done, solid. I do it for real and just like that, it's all over as I see him flopping on his back on the grass patch for 10 seconds and then nothing. He is finished.

I jump up and let out a whahou in excitement to cue my wife but she had already fired up the motor and was coming. She watched the whole thing and later told me I was killing her with how long that took because I was so patient. Jokingly she told me to never do that to her again as it was giving her anxiety!

She arrives, we get the boat anchored and we make our way to him.

There is no doubt he is a "wow" bear. Absolutely stunning creature and beyond impressive what this old warrior has gone through. He had scars, puncture wounds, torn ear and a ripped off claw.

Words cannot easily describe how I felt standing over this giant beast. I have never killed a bear before nor any big game animal I don't think that was this old. It certainly was a strong mix of emotions.

View attachment 328494

View attachment 328495

View attachment 328496

There was no way we were moving this bear off the beach as we struggled to just reposition him for some photos. Processing would have to happen right here. Only problem is that knives are all back at camp (oops).

Back we go to get the knives and return to the bear to begin the long process of getting him skun out and all the meat salvaged. This takes us about 3 to 4 hours which wasn't a real big deal since our boat ended up getting stuck anyways at the falling tide. We end up back at camp around 3am because we had to also check and rebait those crab pots since they had been soaking for over 12 hours by now. No worries though, lots of time to sleep in - bear hunting is done!
Congratulations! That is a big ol noggin on that bear!

Just landed back in MKE. About 2 hours yet or so until we arrive home. I have to work tomorrow with a lot to catch up on but tomorrow evening my plan is to finish and wrap this up. A few more things yet to share. Glad you guys are enjoying a late spring hunting write up!

Absolutely fantastic to follow along. Thanks for sharing you and yours endeavor to notch AK bear tags.
Enjoyed the detailed challenges both of you met and overcame! The crab pots to small flounder - high waves and tidal pools. A great read and awesome pics!
Again, grats to both of you!

I'm really enjoying the pictures and details filling out the ending I already knew. This is great stuff; congrats to you and the wife! Thanks for spending the time to share with us!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrentR
Back