Sitka Gear Optifade Cover

Percentage of fat in ground meat

peterk1234

Curious how much fat folks mix in with their venison and elk ground meat. I did 15% for years but last year doubled that and went with 30% beef fat. The reaction from family and friends was 100% positive. Is anyone else using that much in their mixtures?

I found that 15% was still too lean. Going to 30% made the meat nice and moist and the flavor just popped.

For years now, I have not added any fat to my ground elk burger. No need to dilute perfection. When I cook it, I just do so in tallow or butter or bacon grease. Makes a fantastic and dense meatloaf. Not great for smashburgers. For sausage, anywhere from 40-60%.

1728659568411.png

I add 20% to ground meat made into patties for burgers. I don’t add fat to other ground meat.

0%

I like the taste better, its healthier and if I want a beef burger I will just make that. Burgers stay together just fine if you don't make a McDonalds style flat burger.

I can't believe people add pork or beef fat to all their burger meat, ridiculous to me.

Usually 15-20% for burger with beef fat. Did 12% this year for pronghorn. Was tired of the amount of grease in a pan.

I’m 30-50% pork for sausage

Have never added fat to any of our ground meat - elk, antelope, deer, mtn goat, moose. We like the unique flavors of each, and if you don’t smash and overcook the burgers they are plenty tender and juicy and hold together just fine.

We only add pork fat if we’re making sausage because, well, sausage. But even that is only maybe 25%.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banana Bob
Back