Yeti GOBOX Collection

Olympics Upgraded (Summer Edition)

solid list. I also agree that equestrian events are pretty suspect and incurred my daughters wrath telling her so.

Anything that has judges can go IMO. Everything is subjective. Put them in the X games or whatever. Probably a hot take because it gets rid of gymnastics and diving (even boxing is debatable) but I stand by the opinion.

Appeals of subjective scores, reversals of reversals, and appeals of reversals. I rest my case.

I agree with everything but sailing - sailing can be as physical and way more mentally challenging than many of the other events.

I agree with everything but sailing - sailing can be as physical and way more mentally challenging than many of the other events.
If sailing, why not NASCAR or F1? Lots of activities are hard and take great skill, but not all can/should be in the olympics.

I prefer olympics to be where the human participants provide the vast majority of the energy expended (that's why equestrian is questionable too).

Anything that has judges can go IMO. Everything is subjective. Put them in the X games or whatever. Probably a hot take because it gets rid of gymnastics and diving (even boxing is debatable) but I stand by the opinion.

Appeals of subjective scores, reversals of reversals, and appeals of reversals. I rest my case.

I too am distrustful of "judged" events, but there are too many essential classics, such as gymnastics and figure skating that I can't let that be a driving criteria for me.

As for the vagaries of olympic rules I counter cite the Munich olympics men's gold medal basketball game. Not just "judged" sport are subject to shenanigans and error.

Is it an equitable sport when it comes down to who can afford the best horse?
And who can afford to buy the best rowing boat, or the level of training necessary, or even to attended at all? I read that a bunch of 3rd world athletes had to run Go Fund Me campaigns to even pay the rent at the olympic village.

The list of events can't solve equity. There is a reason USA is on the top of the winners list, and it is not merely our moral superiority.

What should be added? MMA is much more popular and accessible than a boat load of these sports. I don’t watch much, but my son is a wrestler and loves it. My brother is a jiu jitsu fighter.

What are some fun additions? A new form of summer biathlon; rucking and long range shooting?

Artistic swimming??? I say artistic shooting. Who can “draw” the best art on a piece of paper with a 22 in under a minute?

I too am distrustful of "judged" events, but there are too many essential classics, such as gymnastics and figure skating that I can't let that be a driving criteria for me.

As for the vagaries of olympic rules I counter cite the Munich olympics men's gold medal basketball game. Not just "judged" sport are subject to shenanigans and error.

The French basketball teams were play 7 on 5. Steph Curry would have non of it!!! One of the best performances in Olympic History! 🌧️ 🏀 🏀 🏀

If sailing, why not NASCAR or F1? Lots of activities are hard and take great skill, but not all can/should be in the olympics.

I prefer olympics to be where the human participants provide the vast majority of the energy expended (that's why equestrian is questionable too).
NASCAR and F1 involve someone sitting in a seat the entire time - while it taxes the driver’s body a decent amount, it’s not physical work that’s being done (at least that’s my rudimentary understanding of those sports). In sailing, the Team is physically hiking, leaning, pulling, pumping, to the point of exhaustion, for multiple races a day, over many days. It’s a 50/50 split of metal and physical that separates the best, from the rest. I have played most sports in my lifetime and sailing at a high level is right up there with most sports in terms of how in shape you have to be and what it takes to compete at the highest level. It’s also a sport like water polo where most of the Country is not exposed to it personally, so I could see how it would be seen as just sitting in a boat and not doing any actual work. Sorry for the long post, I am just a big fan of sailing (and it’s a great sport for kids to get college scholarships in so I like it for that benefit as well).

There are quite a few more that I would cull.

For instance you rightly culled 3 on 3 basketball. Beach volleyball is more of less the derivative.

Some others that could go are Canoe, Golf, Surfing, Triathlon, Sport climbing, Tennis, Table tennis.

If the games are a world event, the contests should have worldwide appeal, and access. Equestrian is a good example. 99.99% of the world's population is disqualified from the get go, and I own and greatly enjoy horses.

The further you get from the individual track and field competitions, the more sketchy its validity as a world competition it becomes.

NASCAR and F1 involve someone sitting in a seat the entire time - while it taxes the driver’s body a decent amount, it’s not physical work that’s being done (at least that’s my rudimentary understanding of those sports). In sailing, the Team is physically hiking, leaning, pulling, pumping, to the point of exhaustion, for multiple races a day, over many days. It’s a 50/50 split of metal and physical that separates the best, from the rest. I have played most sports in my lifetime and sailing at a high level is right up there with most sports in terms of how in shape you have to be and what it takes to compete at the highest level. It’s also a sport like water polo where most of the Country is not exposed to it personally, so I could see how it would be seen as just sitting in a boat and not doing any actual work. Sorry for the long post, I am just a big fan of sailing (and it’s a great sport for kids to get college scholarships in so I like it for that benefit as well).
Is accessibility based on socioeconomic status? How much does one of those boats cost? I am totally ignorant on this fyi. My Dad loved his Hobie Cat though! Super fun little boat.

A quick search found, “Olympic sailboats from YachtWorld can range in price from $28,000 to $257,582, depending on the model and size. Some of the best-known Olympic models include the Adventure 47, 23' Runabout, 30SR, Carter 37, and Commercial Olympic.” Doesn’t this imply there’s an inequitable playing field? I didn’t know there were different boats. Shouldn’t they all be the same?

99+% of the joules expended to move a sailboat is the wind, regardless of how much work steering is.

Is accessibility based on socioeconomic status? How much does one of those boats cost? I am totally ignorant on this fyi. My Dad loved his Hobie Cat though! Super fun little boat.

A quick search found, “Olympic sailboats from YachtWorld can range in price from $28,000 to $257,582, depending on the model and size. Some of the best-known Olympic models include the Adventure 47, 23' Runabout, 30SR, Carter 37, and Commercial Olympic.” Doesn’t this imply there’s an inequitable playing field? I didn’t know there were different boats. Shouldn’t they all be the same?
There is a lot that is based on socioeconomic status, but there are a lot of kids getting into it with what basically amount to scholarships or free (through SeaScouts, community college, etc.). Most young sailors that make it to the Olympic level are being funded for their travels, boats, etc.

A new boat is going to set someone back a decent amount - maybe $10,000 to $20,000, but I see that as similar to some of these custom rifles and bikes that are in the games. There are a few difference classes of boats (like different events in running), but all boats in the same class are weighed and measured to basically be as close to the same as possible.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatball
Back