Olympics Upgraded (Summer Edition)

I too am distrustful of "judged" events, but there are too many essential classics, such as gymnastics and figure skating that I can't let that be a driving criteria for me.

As for the vagaries of olympic rules I counter cite the Munich olympics men's gold medal basketball game. Not just "judged" sport are subject to shenanigans and error.
Let's just add sports. Maybe chainsawing, log rolling, axe throwing, etc. Or boarding and jumping from a moving commuter train? Should equal the playing field a little. India is the most populous country in the world and only ended with a handful of medals.

Let's just add sports. Maybe chainsawing, log rolling, axe throwing, etc. Or boarding and jumping from a moving commuter train? Should equal the playing field a little. India is the most populous country in the world and only ended with a handful of medals.
Packing folks into a train/subway car would be a guaranteed medal for the Japanese.

Here is my new and improved permitted Olympics event list:

View attachment 335993

I like this list but I'd keep sailing, I got to sail on an America's Cup boat once, it can actually be pretty tough on the body and it takes tactical skill as well.

I was explaining to my daughter a couple days ago that the only sports that should be in the Olympics are ones where a winner can be quantified, i.e. a race, time, game, or numerical score, there should be zero subjectively-judged events. Gymnastics can stay if they make it like high jumping or pole vault, it has to get progressively harder until only one athlete remains.

Anything that has judges can go IMO. Everything is subjective. Put them in the X games or whatever. Probably a hot take because it gets rid of gymnastics and diving (even boxing is debatable) but I stand by the opinion.

Appeals of subjective scores, reversals of reversals, and appeals of reversals. I rest my case.

You would really love the 1912-1948 Olympics then, as painting, sculpture, architecture, literature and music were also endeavors that were awarded gold, silver and bronze.

You forgot to put Field Hockey on the list so you could scratch the Men's Field Hockey from the 'allowable'

Fine with women's field hockey but for men, you gotta be kidding.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatball
Back