NV Silver State Desert Sheep Hunt

robie

I was the lucky guy who drew the silver state sheep tag this year. Some of you guys might be interested in this tag and how I chose to hunt it.

Season is open July 1st through Dec 31 and I can hunt any unit in the state that has more than 2 tags. There are 3 tags total that have the same set of rules, 2 auction and mine.

I talked to several outfitters about this hunt and was given several recommendations on who to choose. I ultimately decided to hunt this like the big money guys do, my thought was I will never get a chance to hunt like this in my life and might as well try this experience. I hired an outfitter and we set a scouting budget to scour the state looking for a giant. As soon as they find a ram we want I will fly out and start hunting. Some of you may know that sheep in NV are down overall, population and size wise. Every sheep killed is measured and checked out so the data is available in great detail.

All that being said I will be happy with any ram and excited to see what is out there. A giant in NV in the last year or two would push the 180" mark. For me personally I would rather a beautiful ram that tips out than a massive boy that is broomed. I say that now but it will all depend on what all we can find.

So far to date both of the auction tag holders have tagged out. The second guy shot a ram we had at the top of our list but had decided to keep looking at what else was out there. Time will tell how much or if I regret that decision at all. It stung a little to see that ram on Instagram but we made the call to hold off and drag this hunt out as long as possible.

I'm honestly enjoying seeing the pictures of what my guide is finding each week and am ok with this going on for a while. I'm know a little about sheep but love to hear my guide geek out over the slightest variation in base measurement making all the difference. I can tell it stresses those guys out and I'm just enjoying learning all about it.

For those interested the first ram is around 177" and the Curley ram is around 175". Both are great rams.

For the units we are focused on I'm the only guy that can hunt until Nov 20. That is when the regular season begins.

I keep the post updated as the weeks tick by.

My bag is packed and my rifle is dialed!

Attachments

• mass.jpg
    mass.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Curley (1).jpg
    Curley (1).jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 43
Both those 2 in you photos are great rams. Wish you luck on your quest.
Thank you. I've learned that I'm a terrible trophy hunter!

I would have killed any of the rams my guide has found, but I'm doing my best to just listen to him as we talk about each sheep and not get in a hurry.

Hopefully October is good to us and we find a few more to add to the pile of great sheep.

Hoping you have the best of luck finding your ram. (y)I also like the ram in the pics with the wide flaring tips. 🐏
I'm hoping you don't find a monster in the area I have a bighorn tag that I was able to defer to this year after breaking my ankle last year. :whistle:

Hoping you have the best of luck finding your ram. (y)I also like the ram in the pics with the wide flaring tips. 🐏
I'm hoping you don't find a monster in the area I have a bighorn tag that I was able to defer to this year after breaking my ankle last year. :whistle:
Lol. Thank you. Feel free to ping me if you want to chat. There are only a handful of units that consistently produce 170+ rams. Several other units can from time to time.

If your tag isn't for one of the consistent units you are probably safe!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrestonThayne
Back