Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

NR DIY Caribou Hunt

arrowhead sent out a message on facebook that they had a cancellation opening. aug 18-28 party of two.

Going Sept 2025, any boot recommendations, about the last of my gear to get. Also am I correct that they do not sell fuel canisters on island?

Going Sept 2025, any boot recommendations, about the last of my gear to get. Also am I correct that they do not sell fuel canisters on island?
No fuel canisters and precious little of anything else. Don't expect any stores. Back on my first trip to Adak in 2014 there was "End of the Chain Mercantile" but it closed after that visit. Tiny businesses come and go, don't expect anything. Best to take an MSR stove that runs on gasoline.
2017-12-08 19.22.34.jpg

No fuel canisters and precious little of anything else. Don't expect any stores. Back on my first trip to Adak in 2014 there was "End of the Chain Mercantile" but it closed after that visit. Tiny businesses come and go, don't expect anything. Best to take an MSR stove that runs on gasoline.
View attachment 332917
Really appreciate the reply! Sure helps me plan!

Also, when flying with the empty MSR fuel bottles, make sure that there is zero smell of fuel in it, otherwise TSA will confiscate it. I wash it out with boiling water multiple times, preferably soapy boiling water, then leave the cap off and pack it like that.

Also, when flying with the empty MSR fuel bottles, make sure that there is zero smell of fuel in it, otherwise TSA will confiscate it. I wash it out with boiling water multiple times, preferably soapy boiling water, then leave the cap off and pack it like that.
TSA stole a brand new pump and bottle, neither had ever had fuel in it. I've flown with them since, and no issues though. I put it in my gun case now.

its crazy that all it seems you hear is the caribou herds are hurting but then arrowhead told us we have the option to shoot a second where we're hunting.

its crazy that all it seems you hear is the caribou herds are hurting but then arrowhead told us we have the option to shoot a second where we're hunting.
There are only really 2 out of about 30 herds where that is available to nonresidents, hardly cause for joy. Dig deeper and you'll see that most herds are in decline, and overall numbers are falling as well.

There are only really 2 out of about 30 herds where that is available to nonresidents, hardly cause for joy. Dig deeper and you'll see that most herds are in decline, and overall numbers are falling as well.
i get that, i was under the assumption all herds were declining. that's why it was crazy to me.

Hunting isn't really a controlling factor for caribou in most areas, and the board of game has the mentality of kill as many as you possibly can while you can because they tend to die off for what ever reason. The porcupine herd will likely soon decline like the rest, I believe its nearing an all time peak?

The quota for the 40 mile heard (just to the south ) this year is like 425 bulls. A few years ago you could get 2 tags and the quota was like 5000, and the heard was as big as it had ever been. The animals were nutritionally stressed and food was scarce, overpopulation was a real thing... The antler size of bulls diminished, body fat was was down, etc. Then a really bad winter pull a nail in the coffin for them. The heard was around 80,000 animals and is now down around 28-32,000.

Similar situation with the Nelchina herd, 50k, down to 8k. The western Arctic was at nearly 450k just 10 years ago down to 150k. Mulchatna was 200k down to 12k....

They have a history of boom and bust, but we really don't have a long enough timeline/records to verify how often it happens. Most all those herds had seen population fluctuations similar in the past, boom/bust with a peak/trough of 40-50 years. I just hope they bounce back, but its going to take decades to recover. Caribou have one calf, and don't breed until they're 2-3. Some herds also suffer from other chronic disease such as brucellosis.

Back