Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Northeast Minnesota Grouse Camp '24

Birdbander

@Lostinthewoods, after reading your post outlining what types of subjects should be posted on this website I've been working to delete as many of my posts as possible because they do not meet the public lands/conservation guidelines. Unfortunately I do not know how to delete a thread I started. Please accept my apology.

Last edited:
If it’s anything like last year, you’ll have a blast. Grouse numbers were ridiculous. I haven’t heard how they are looking this year. Good luck and welcome to Minnesota.

I would assume access will be restored within a month or so to most places but it was more than a bit of rain. Roads culverts and some bridges washed out, some of the major roads were closed as well. Had been shaping up to be good but we need the rain to mostly stop for a month or so.

Since my group didn't draw WY antelope tags our backup plan waa a grouse hunt. My friends from southeast Indiana have joined me several times throughout the years either around my place in the central lower peninsula or for a camp in the UP. I've tried to get them to make the drive to northern Maine or to Colorado but they don't want to make that long of a drive, so I floated an alternative.

I suggested northeast Minnesota. None of us have hunted 8n Minnesota and that region has always been a place I'd like to go. We made reservations and will arrive on 6 October for a few days. Of the weather allows I'll stop in west center UP to camp & hunt for a couple of days before heading home then ofg to Maine the following week.

I post pictures and maybe be able to share a little of our trip. Stay safe and happy hunting!
gully washer rains have drown them all. White water rafting is going well, tho

I believe the hatch will be poor but there were good numbers of adult birds. If you hunt hard you can always find enough birds to have a good hunt

Not sure about the nesting conditions, but you should hit the woodcock flight just about right. The rule of thumb is Columbus Day down here, so 10/6 or so up there should be starting to get pretty good.

I wouldn't base expectations on the drumming survey, especially this year's results. Likely well worth heading after them though. Weather's been better since the big rains, and my sources tell me access has been restored most everywhere there was damage

As of now I’m still planning on being in northeast Minnesota as well, the first week of October. All the rain has me concerned for bird numbers, but I’m still gonna give it a shot. My first time there myself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back