Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New SAR tool

Pretty amazing stuff being developed. I guess law enforcement could use it as well if someone wanted to intentionally get "lost". I assume it only works if the cell phone is turned on and not in flight mode. I know a lot of folks that turn their phones to flight mode when out of cell service to save battery. I guess they would need to publicize the new SAR technology to tell people it might be worth keeping their phone on, anymore it is the screen that drains the battery really. A broken phone probably wouldn't be findable either if the person fell a long way or if they drained their battery before people knew they were missing. Bad weather that keeps the helicopter grounded would also be an issue.

But it sounds very promising for the vast majority of rescues.

Does that chopper seem a tad close to the tree on the left? Yikes. Maybe just the perspective of the photo.

Cool idea within its limitations. If they can miniaturize this for UAS flights you could cover some ground quickly. Although you're then battery limited.

Does that chopper seem a tad close to the tree on the left? Yikes. Maybe just the perspective of the photo.

Cool idea within its limitations. If they can miniaturize this for UAS flights you could cover some ground quickly. Although you're then battery limited.
Most helicopter pilots I've flown with in the SAR world seem to enjoy the challenge of getting the big fan as close as possible to obstacles, it seems like the helicopter manager telling them they can't land there is a challenge they can't turn down...

For those worried about the implications of SAR being able to find your phone, you do know you are essentially carrying a homing beacon anyway right?

Looks like the tree is closer to the camera than the helicopter which gives it the appearance of being taller than it is.

Looks like the tree is closer to the camera than the helicopter which gives it the appearance of being taller than it is.
Roger that, Captain Obvious!
Most helicopter pilots I've flown with in the SAR world seem to enjoy the challenge of getting the big fan as close as possible to obstacles, it seems like the helicopter manager telling them they can't land there is a challenge they can't turn down...
I can attest to that as a twenty-year military helicopter pilot. The most fun and challenging training exercises in primary helicopter school (and later) included confined area and pinnacle type approaches, landings, and (if all goes well) ... take-0ffs.

Roger that, Captain Obvious!

I can attest to that as a twenty-year military helicopter pilot. The most fun and challenging training exercises in primary helicopter school (and later) included confined area and pinnacle type approaches, landings, and (if all goes well) ... take-0ffs.
Well Sky King, I was responding to marksjeep since you were so hesitant to do so. I was only trying to help. I'll be sure to check with you in the future before replying to anyone. AND I'm not a Captain, just a Sergeant but thanks for the promotion.

This sounds promising in the right situations.

Blah! A buddy and I were yammering some 15-20 years ago about triangulation of cell towers and in the backcountry why not use a single off fixed or helicopter to catch single cell signal bounces. There are far few people in backcountry that signal bouce would be a quick marker to check for those lost/injured.

Good to see someone ran with the idea. A great tool!

/walks away kicking self... muttering I could be fishing/hunting more! Coulda, woulda, shoulda... but didn't.

Good to see someone ran with the idea. A great tool!
For sure!
ONX saved my bacon when I broke my knee six miles, 2000 ft above the Missouri in Gates of Mountains Wilderness. Wife was talking to sheriff on her phone, with my phone in her other hand, opening ONX. Sheriff deputy, familiar with ONX, talked her into displaying coordinates, which were passed on to Two Bear Air and they flew a straight line from Kalispell to the site and extracted my sorry-a$$ off the mountain. God bless technology ... including ONX and this new system.

For sure!
ONX saved my bacon when I broke my knee six miles, 2000 ft above the Missouri in Gates of Mountains Wilderness. Wife was talking to sheriff on her phone, with my phone in her other hand, opening ONX. Sheriff deputy, familiar with ONX, talked her into displaying coordinates, which were passed on to Two Bear Air and they flew a straight line from Kalispell to the site and extracted my sorry-a$$ off the mountain. God bless technology ... including ONX and this new system.
Solid work from the SAR team, and they wouldn’t have been able to help if you hadn’t had the tech with you. Glad it turned out 💪

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clinebj22
Back