NEW SITKA Ambient 75

New Oklahoma member

Welcome!

I spend a lot of time hunting western Oklahoma for whitetail. Might go chase some of your antelope in October too.

Good luck in NM

Welcome!

I spend a lot of time hunting western Oklahoma for whitetail. Might go chase some of your antelope in October too.

Good luck in NM
Thanks for the wishes. Goodluck chasing those speed goats too. I’ve never done that. Just whitetail in the central Oklahoma area

Welcome, spouse's family place is right on the Red , Texas side in Cooke Co.

Elk hunting will be an addiction after your hunt !!
Good luck.

Welcome aboard from a fellow okie in the SE corner of the state. As a life long whitetail hunter who just started killing a few elk after a decade of trying couple questions/word of advice. 1) have you invested in a good frame pack? 2) make sure you watch and study as much info on butchering one via the gutless method as possible. The first one you cut up will be a ride on the struggle bus especially if you're alone having the proper info and equipment beforehand will save you some sweat and maybe more importantly some meat. 3) make sure you're in shape! Can't really replicate the elevation here at home no matter what you do. I've found the best workout to be ready for the mountains is put your pack on with weight and hit the stair master at the gym or run bleachers. Goodluck and hang around lot's of knowledgeable people here.

Welcome aboard from a fellow okie in the SE corner of the state. As a life long whitetail hunter who just started killing a few elk after a decade of trying couple questions/word of advice. 1) have you invested in a good frame pack? 2) make sure you watch and study as much info on butchering one via the gutless method as possible. The first one you cut up will be a ride on the struggle bus especially if you're alone having the proper info and equipment beforehand will save you some sweat and maybe more importantly some meat. 3) make sure you're in shape! Can't really replicate the elevation here at home no matter what you do. I've found the best workout to be ready for the mountains is put your pack on with weight and hit the stair master at the gym or run bleachers. Goodluck and hang around lot's of knowledgeable people here.
Hey brother. Thanks for dropping a welcome. Super cool of you. A few members haven’t been so welcoming so far.

So yes on the frame pack. Went mystery ranch Metcalf 75. schnee beartooth.

I ran 4.2 miles Saturday. Probably best shape of my life.

What states do you hunt elk? I’m planning on this being something I do from here on out. Took me a bit to get started but I’m now here

Elk are just big deer, don't sweat the processing part after a kill. Gutless is the way to go as stated.

Altitude will kick your ass for the first few days, no matter your training.
Just be aware of that and take it easy if you need to. Altitude sickness kills so know those symptoms.
Stay hydrated and eat plenty of calories, carbs included.

See ya in the mountains.

Hey brother. Thanks for dropping a welcome. Super cool of you. A few members haven’t been so welcoming so far.

So yes on the frame pack. Went mystery ranch Metcalf 75. schnee beartooth.

I ran 4.2 miles Saturday. Probably best shape of my life.

What states do you hunt elk? I’m planning on this being something I do from here on out. Took me a bit to get started but I’m now here
I've hunted elk in WY and CO with plans/hopes to hunt NM and MT in the future.

Welcome from Idaho! My work takes me to OK at least 5-6 times a year. Will be hunting whitetails in late Nov in north central OK. Good luck on your elk hunt!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jyoder
Back