MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New Elk hunter looking for direction

clint0481

Hello everyone,

I'm sure this type of thing gets asked a lot, but here it goes. I am looking to start elk hunting. I'm not after a "trophy" bull. I just want a decent chance at success. I have been on one cow elk hunt in New Mexico, but it was more like me getting driven around in the mountains then jumping out of the truck to take a shot when we saw elk. Not my cup of tea.
My question is, what state/season would be the best place for me to start? I am an avid hunter with archery and firearms, and i practice all the time. I wouldnt be afraid to use any equipment. So would it be best to try early season during the rut? Or would i be better off spot and stalk hunting in the later season? I would assume Colorado would be the best state to begin with because of its elk population, but i also understand they get a lot of hunter pressure.
I live in Indiana so scouting is, unfortunately, not possible for me. I can and will do a lot of e-scouting, but that can only take you so far.
Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help.

My $0.02, go to Colorado on an OTC tag and just see if you can find elk, make that your goal. I'd almost say go without a tag but then if you find some...well... that would be a heart breaker. See how the hunter traffic impacts their patterns and then, if you find some, put your other hunting skills to work. Play the wind, learn to cow call a bit, etc. I did my first elk hunt in Colorado on a 0 point draw unit, it was jam packed with hunters and my brother and I didn't see an elk all week that wasn't on private. My lesson from that now, looking back, is that I only had a plan A. I should have loaded up and moved, there were plenty of places to go in the unit(s). I'm a terrible elk hunter, LOL, I have only killed one elk and that was on a guided hunt but I think I'm getting a little better every year, in the end I think that's what it's all about, just starting somewhere and then trying to get better every year. So, again, if it were me, I'd start with a rut hunt OTC in CO with my bow and just try to find elk, I'd start buying a few points and learning the systems for other states (NM, AZ, CO, WY, MT) and just take it all in and really start to learn.

Do not over think it, go to colorado this fall 2nd season. Pick a random unit, hunt the way you always dreamed a elk hunt should be. Base camp/spike/truck whatever you want but just have fun. Buy boots and pack everything else just use your deer stuff, go! At end of trip you will be so better informed and understanding of what is needed and how to move forward. Good luck...

Added: use search feature to answer boot/pack questions

Last edited:
Don’t use living in another state as an excuse to not do boots on ground scouting. Take an extended weekend and go drive around on roads.

Do not over think it, go to colorado this fall 2nd season. Pick a random unit, hunt the way you always dreamed a elk hunt should be. Base camp/spike/truck whatever you want but just have fun. Buy boots and pack everything else just use your deer stuff, go! At end of trip you will be so better informed and understanding of what is needed and how to move forward. Good luck...

Added: use search feature to answer boot/pack questions
I have a bear hunt this fall, but I started buying points in Colorado this year. I thought I'd try to do a 0 point unit next year and buy another point. So hopefully I can cut my teeth on the otc/zero point hunts, then in a few years get to do a more premium hunt.
I love this piece of advise though. To just do what feels like a good hunt. Maybe find a place where I can drive/pack in and set up camp.

Fly in and rent a uhaul half ton pick up 19.99 a day 70 cents a mile couple days of windshield time really changes one’s perspective
Learning roads in the summer time when they’re dry is a much more fun experience than learning them in second season CO where it’s very possible to get snowed in.

The scouting isn’t always about finding elk, it’s also figuring out what road you shouldn’t drive on when the snow comes.

Ask me how I know!

IMG_0705.jpeg

It's a 2 day drive. So 4 day round trip. I'd have to use a weeks vacation just to scout.
These guys are just showing why they are good hunters they find ways to get stuff done, not excuses. We have tons of guys pass thru on this site 90% are excuse makers and planning for next year: blah blah blah... Find what's right for you, time and $ make us all different but a simple thing could also come out to unit 3/4 days early to learn and scout etc but my point is hunt not talk about doing it in future.

Last edited:
Learning roads in the summer time when they’re dry is a much more fun experience than learning them in second season CO where it’s very possible to get snowed in.

The scouting isn’t always about finding elk, it’s also figuring out what road you shouldn’t drive on when the snow comes.

Ask me how I know!

View attachment 338028
Wouldn’t be a issue if you have gotten a U-Haul and the insurance 🤣

I think Mr. Newberg himself has a couple videos on YouTube covering this topic. I’m most familiar with AZ. If you’re not concerned with killing a trophy you can fill most tags if you’re willing to hike. A decent amount of late season hunts don’t require too many points.

These guys are just showing why they are good hunters they find ways to get stuff done, not excuses. We have tons of guys pass thru on this site 90% are excuse makers and planning for next year: blah blah blah... Find what's right for you, time and $ make us all different but a simple thing could also come out to unit 3/4 days early to learn and scout etc but my point is hunt not talk about doing it in future.
I'm not making excuses. I put a ton of time into scouting and practicing with my weapons here. I get 2 weeks of vacation and 1 week is for the family. So if I take any time to even fly out to go scout it would considerably shorten any hunting that I would get to do. I'm not "talking about doing it in the future", I'm talking about doing it next year. I had an elk hunt last year, a bear hunt this year, and I'm planning on doing an elk hunt next year. If I can get out there a day or two ahead of time I will certainly do some scouting. I appreciate everyone's honest advice.

It’s like anything else man it either takes time or money. Either you need to invest the time boots on the ground to learn an area and how the critters use it to avoid well you. Or you spend money and do ride alongs dumping elk from truck windows. If I only had a week I’d probably be looking at doing a Colorado season and showing up early to scout. Can you bank your pto? You may be better off hunting every other year and taking more time

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MidwestSniper03
Back