Nevada Ranch Shootout

2rocky

Posting this because in the "rest of the story" a hunter is involved....

News story : https://www.kolotv.com/2024/10/09/n...TH1FXy8ZlI9vvKn1wg_aem_Mo2Ke3cHc4Mlf1hp8uSDfw

Published: Oct. 9, 2024 at 2:31 PM PDT|Updated: 6 hours ago

WINNEMUCCA, Nev. (KOLO) - A fifth generation Nevada rancher was left hospitalized after a shootout on his ranch near Winnemucca.
The Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office says that around 9:00 p.m. Sunday, a 23-year-old white male made his way onto the property of Will DeLong.
Police say that what led up to the shooting is under investigation, but that at one point gunfire was exchanged on both sides.
The 23-year-old was killed in the incident, while DeLong was taken by Care Flight to Renown and is in the intensive care unit.
The identity of the 23-year-old is being withheld pending notification of family.
Copyright 2024 KOLO. All rights reserved.

The Rest of the story

Ok. So Sunday Will left Katie and the kids in Winnemucca and went to the ranch. When he pulled into the yard he caught a guy going through his ranch pickup. He got out and approached and the guy shot him with a .22. Probably Will's from pickup. Will had a larger caliber pistol he had just purchased either on him are in the pickup. He returned fire. The guy fled into the field but subsequently died. Will got back in his pickup and drove to where they have cell service. He was flown to Reno, operated on, put in an induced coma, has fluid that is a concern having to do with his lungs. It has all been on the down low because of investigation at request of family. Earlier that day some hunters camped near the ranch had been threatened by the man and they had successfully run him off. He was throwing rocks at them or he tried to hit one of them in the head with a rock. I am a little unclear on this part.
I think we all have run into "unhinged" folks in our lives. I think we need to think about just what our plan is in case a bad situation gets worse. I mean what if Jack hadn't come home, and the tweaker went back to the hunters camp with a stolen gun, while they were sleeping ?

I guess the moral of the story is that when someone is a threat, even if they leave you alone, they could be a danger to someone else...

Back