Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Need advice on a tripod and head

jpcoll01

Dang tripods are expensive…I have been glassing off of a $20 Amazon basics camera tripod for the past 3-4 years. Terrible to try to move smoothly and just generally garbage. No way could you shoot off of it. I have the Spartan connections on my guns that I use with a Spartan bipod which I love.
Primos makes a line of tripods with the spartan connector on the top. The tripod felt solid but the ball head was plastic and kind of felt like garbage that I would be disappointed in (but only like $239) Set up a Tricer at Scheels and it felt smooth but was over $500 for the set. I’m leaning toward a normal tripod with arca and getting an arca adapter for the spartan attachments for shooting. Open to thoughts. Can’t justify soending $1k on a tripod at this point.

I'm right there too . Tried the Spartan adapter on my Slik tripod but the mount being so far forward kind of defeated the purpose .
I bought the BOG death grip tripod but it's heavy . It actually lets you take the clamp off via an ARCA mount / clamp and that helps with the weight , if you have an ARCA plate on your rifle . I sent my ELEMENT back to Seekins to have a IRAS and ARCA rail installed .

This is intriguing to me. Works well seated and standing? I think this and an added arca rail on my gun makes a ton of sense.
Yes, I put a shorter center post in it also, so it can be used prone also. I haven't shot off of it, but have heard of guys doing it. It's a solid tripod and for the price, I don't think it can be beat. I love being able to spread the legs (lol) and lean back against my pack comfortably looking up at a hillside for any given amount of time.

I picked up a couple of arca rails for spotter, bino adapter, and one for a phone to make taking critter pics solo much easier! I will probably do a clamp for the gun vs putting a rail on my gun.

I love my Sirui VA-5 Ultra-Compact Fluid Head and Slik Pro CF-633 Carbon Fiber Tripod. So smooth. Huge upgrade from a leupold carbon fiber tripod and head that came with a pair of binos.

I have the Slik Pro CF 634 with a Tricer LP head for lightweight and the Pro CF 834 with a Sirui VA-5 for more stability. The VA-5 head is easier to lock in place, the Tricer head seemed to be a little hard to keep on target when mounting your phone to the scope. Haven't shot off either, but both have Arca mounts, would have to keep the center post dropped down.

Back