NEW SITKA Ambient 75

National Pronghorn Organization

David Gough

With pronghorn on the decline in many western states I have searched for a national conservation organization that is specific for pronghorn. This is all I come up with: https://pronghornfoundation.homestead.com/

The organization seems to be defunct like their website. Does anyone have an idea why there is no organization committed to speedgoats? They seem to be looked down upon by so many. Hell, even bears have ABF.

The discussion started on a different forum, so I wont insert the direct link. WAFWA hosted the 30th Pronghorn Workshop recently and here are some maps and graphs from the conversation:

1719878760223.png

1719878799282.png

I know my home state (Nevada) does a pretty good job managing for quality hunts, but with the feral horses and burros destroying our delicate sagebrush ecosystem I was surprised to see the population expanding (compared to mule deer, which is on a downward spiral).

I was a dues paying member of the now-defunct organization, for about a decade. I even offered to help with any accounting and tax reporting, even to work on fundraising. Never heard back.

Then, 15-20 years ago, the lights went out. Not sure what happened.

That said, it's a shame that this amazing and uniquely American animal doesn't have a group advocating for it. I know about seven or eight years ago that @Randy11 put some plans in place to do such. I'm not sure how far it went.

If someone has time and passion to get it started, I'd offer our platforms for whatever helpful purpose we could serve.

I was a dues paying member of the now-defunct organization, for about a decade. I even offered to help with any accounting and tax reporting, even to work on fundraising. Never heard back.

Then, 15-20 years ago, the lights went out. Not sure what happened.

That said, it's a shame that this amazing and uniquely American animal doesn't have a group advocating for it. I know about seven or eight years ago that @Randy11 put some plans in place to do such. I'm not sure how far it went.

If someone has time and passion to get it started, I'd offer our platforms for whatever helpful purpose we could serve.
I know there's crossover where some organizations (like NBU in Nevada) do great work with pronghorn habitat. In one particular unit I've hunted in the past their guzzlers were a main source of water for the population.

Agreed, it's a shame.

Just to satisfy curious minds. How would one start such an organization? I imagine you’ll need funding, mission statement, nonprofit tax stuff, etc. What puts the truck from park to drive on something like this?

Just to satisfy curious minds. How would one start such an organization? I imagine you’ll need funding, mission statement, nonprofit tax stuff, etc. What puts the truck from park to drive on something like this?
You need to incorporate in a state, with that Secretary of State, under their non-profit corporation statutes. You need a name, articles of incorporation, incorporator (founder), bylaws, and then go about forming the infrastructure of an organization such as Directors, tax-exempt application, Federal ID#, mission statement, governance rules, bank accounts, etc.

I've done it for many orgs. The application for tax-exempt status is a big PITA. The other parts are pretty easy.

You need to incorporate in a state, with that Secretary of State, under their non-profit corporation statutes. You need a name, articles of incorporation, incorporator (founder), bylaws, and then go about forming the infrastructure of an organization such as Directors, tax-exempt application, Federal ID#, mission statement, governance rules, bank accounts, etc.

I've done it for many orgs. The application for tax-exempt status is a big PITA. The other parts are pretty easy.
Thanks for that. Not to water that down, but more or less sounds like you’re starting a business in a sense. Seems like a lot of fun honestly….

The 30th Pronghorn Workshop was this past week and highlighted some great research being done on the species. It also showed some very real concerns about their declining numbers. Virtually every state is reporting dropping numbers, some very quickly. The hardest hit areas are the core states and ranges. Disease and environment are definitely having an impact but in many places they simply don't know why the numbers are declining. Road avoidance studies are showing stark segregation of herds, which might be leading to loss of collective migration knowledge and genetic diversity. Another study shows that there may be susceptibility of pronghorn to contract CWD, sharing 6 of 6 of the alleles that make WT susceptible.

All this makes me very concerned about our current conservation of antelope. They can bounce back with a few good years, but they aren't showing that response, especially in Montana. Beyond the winter kill in WY 2022, there is significant pressure on a species that generally is last on priority sheets (heck, I wonder if sage grouse work is probably benefiting pronghorn more than pronghorn work).

The proceedings of the workshop will be published this summer, if anyone's interested in reading more. Maybe it's time for pronghorn enthusiasts to form the North American Pronghorn Foundation or something.

While I can't tout a long personal history of conservation org involvement, paying the dues to join and support a pronghorn organization would definitely be on my priority list.

QQ

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livingt_o_hunt
Back