Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

MT Sheep rancher fuggs sportsman over

Ithica,

Are you sure about the wool subsidy's?

As far as I know, the domestic sheep allotments are about 10-12 miles or so from where the bighorns where introduced.

Ithaca, I couldn't find anything on that link, but I'd be interested in reading it if you found something.

Funny coincidence; when we had more sheep on the range we had more mule deer... Of course those were also the same years that fed agencies, BLM in particular, did LOTS of vegetation manipulation projects. I'm guessing some here might be old enough to remember what old anchor chains are good for! ;)

Is chaining pretty much a done practice or still used on limited scale?

Oak, when I google "wool subsidy" the third link is to the site I posted, but then something goes wrong when I click on it. So going the google route, here's what I find:

"Farm Bill Reinstates Wool Subsidies
Date: 05/24/2002
Suggested Anchor Introduction
The new Farm Bill models its wool subsidy program after a similar program for grains and cotton. D'Lyn Ford explains.

Story
Click to Listen:

Wool and mohair subsidies have been reinstated under the 2002 Farm Bill. However, Agricultural Economist Rhonda Skaggs with New Mexico State University says the new program differs from previous subsidies that rewarded New Mexico's fine wool producers for top-quality fleeces.

"New Mexico producers benefited from earlier policy, because they produced a very clean, consistent, high quality wool product, very different from the wool produced, say, in the southeastern or the other parts of the United States. Western wool was generally perceived to be of higher quality and of greater value to the manufacturing community. It was one of the few government programs that had a direct incentive for producing high quality product or high quality wool. And so the way the 2002 legislation is written, it will be quite different from the way it operated under the 1950s legislation."

The previous wool subsidy program ended during the early years of the Clinton administration. Skaggs says new wool subsidies will be similar to those for farm program crops.

"And it appears now that the current policy as of the 2002 Farm Bill is going to be designed in similar fashion of grains and cotton. It will involve a guaranteed or a target or an ideal price, and producers will receive the difference between that price and what the market is actually paying them."

New Mexico producers sheared 255-thousand sheep in the year 2000, producing one-point-four million dollars' worth of wool. That year, New Mexico had about 20-thousand angora goats, with mohair valued at 260-thousand dollars. For N-M-S-U's College of Agriculture and Home Economics, I'm D'Lyn Ford."

Here's the google results: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wool+subsidy&btnG=Google+Search

Chaining is still used quite a bit by the BLM in fire rehab, mostly as a way to cover seed that has been flown on. However, I did hear that green trees were chained this winter on the Grand Staircase-Escalante Natl Monument, which is managed by the BLM! I would really like to see chaining used as a tool much more often than it is. 'Bullhogging' and hydroaxing are being used quite a bit now for juniper removal as part of the WUI/Fuels program, but the cost/acre is quite a bit higher and the results are very similar. Chaining does have a bit bigger impact on viewsheds, but I don't see that as a very big hurdle.

I've never actually seen it first hand but have read a bit and seen pictures of its use, seemed to be effective at the objectives it was being used for. The way I had read your first comment almost lead me to believe it wasn't being used anymore.

It isn't on live trees/shrubs. The one example on the Monument was the first that I've heard of in a LONG time. That's where I'd like to see it get much more use. Too many damn junipers in places they don't need to be...

Gross income of $5.50 a sheep for the wool, take out transprotation costs, and sheering and you'll net about $1.25 head. Anyone bought a wool shirt lately?

SITKA Gear Optifade Cover

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElkMountain
Back