PEAX Equipment

MT birdhunters 2

How many people are going to be pulling out a 30.06 and blasting Sharptails and huns along the road? What would be left of those birds? I spend all fall hunting birds of some sort and can imagine a scenario where this will put me, my kids and dogs in harms way.

I have way closer calls hunting geese in the fields when Bubba pulls up and see the "Geese" just standing there and rolls down the window to take a rifle shot at me deeks. That is already illegal but happens every year. This law wouldn't lead to a rash of new hunting accidents. It is already illegal to shoot from the roadway but it happens every year with shotguns and rifles.

This is a non issue for the most part.

Nemont

P.S. anyone shooting an O/U is already a snob upland bird hunter.:cool:

yeah but I'm a happy snob....I'm sure you have no "cool" gear:D:rolleyes::hump: and you are right, it is as of today - a non issue

Incident Statistics
To gain up-to-date information on turkey hunting incidents
today, NWTF staff studied all turkey hunting incidents reported
to the IHEAfrom 2001-2004. These 158 incidents are compiled
on the IHEAweb site, and the data they contain were downloaded
and analyzed using an Excel spreadsheet. The summaries based
on these analysis, detailed in Appendix 1, provide a good overview
of current incidents, including:

Most common cause................Failure to Identify Target, 68%
Average age of shooter ............42 Years
Average age of victim ..............39 Years
Hunter ed certification .............Shooter:
50% Yes, 31% No
Victim:
56% Yes, 19% No
Severity of injury .....................28% Minor
41% Moderate
22% Severe
1% Fatal
Firearms in incidents ...............94% Shotgun
6% Rifle

Landownership........................66% Private
18% Public

It looks to be like this data show Shotguns are WAY more dangerous to turkey hunters than rifles are. Of 158 incidents 148.52 involved accidents with shotguns.

I really don't care whether one has to use a shotgun or not for upland or turkeys as I like to wingshoot birds over dogs. However, with all the battles to fight in this legislature I am not spending a single minute on this one. Plenty of other issues to keep in contact with the local representatives and senators.

Nemont

NWTF was alarmed by the incidence of hunting accidents related to spring turkey hunting and prepared the study in the link attached below. If you go to Page 6, you will see many of the ideas and concerns.

http://www.nwtf.org/images/Hunter_Safety_Task_Force.pdf

I have read another study, which I cannot locate at this time, talking about the increased rate of fatality where the hunting accident involved rifles versus shotguns.

Not hunting accident is a acceptable, but they happen. I think most who advocate shotguns only for safety concerns have a valid point. I would rather do what is possible to reduce the fatality rate of hunting accidents.

I am sure that some advocate shotguns only for their purist reasons. I am not one of those, having only killed two turkeys in my life. I am worried about the safety issue, and it seems the data supports that concern.

I see a big difference between plinking grouse off a stump with a .22 as compared to lobbing volleys at turkeys fro 200 yards, when there may be camo'd hunters in the background making a set up on the targeted bird.

As far as snob fishing. I love to observe the responses from those types as I dig through my coffee can of night crawlers that I gathered on the driveway the raining morning before. Live bait = dead fish in my cooler.

I subscribe to my wife's theory on fishing. "If you hook 'em, you cook 'em!"

From a lot of the posts n this topic, I can tell not a lot of guys have honestly and legitimately hid from lead whizzing by their heads (just to take care of those that have, yeah I know I know). I highly recommend it to those that haven't.

Not interested in debate.

I pretty much exclusively fish with a flyrod:eek:. But later on tonight I will photograph and post a pic of my Bullheads Unlimited hat. Just go ahead and keep trying to pidgeon hole me boys....good luck:hump:

Gotta get back to work.....

yeah but I'm a happy snob....I'm sure you have no "cool" gear:D:rolleyes::hump: and you are right, it is as of today - a non issue

Nope, still wear Carhart's, shoot a beaten up Rem 870, and drive a 1986 two wheel drive pickup.

Actually I am as big of a hypcrite as anybody. I have all kinds of cool stuff for hunting.

Nemont

Onpoint I have read every post you have made about this issue and think I support the rifle thing.. Some day I may have limited time and may want to take a turkey with my 22 mag at 75 yards just to put meat on the table, I dont see anything wrong with that. Accidents happen, nobody wants it to. The way it is now I could use dead coyote that is lethal out to 200 yards in my shotgun. Maybe it shoud be limited to a maximum cal/velocity.

If you want to shoot birds with a rifle in open country, please do it on private land and leave the public land an area of time honored safety rules and comon sense. I was thinking of this mess yesterday when I took these pictures.

Attachments

• roosted turkey.jpg
    roosted turkey.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 75
  • oops !.jpg
    oops !.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 72
  • trim.jpg
    trim.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 75
I'm not for any particular method for taking birds. I just have not heard any convincing argument about this issue that would make me dispise this bill.

Last edited:
I am curious about this legislation, how is this going to effect the bowhunters, I can see a guy sitting in a blind hunting mule deer in a bullberry thicket and of course a few grouse around and somebody wants to take a shot at the grouse from a distance with his 17HMR or 22-250 or 30-06, the bowhunter is deep trouble, Or I'm spring turkey hunting and I have a tom decoy set up in front of me and some guy takes a shot at the decoy from a distance. I can see all sorts of trouble with allowing rifles during these seasons.. These are all very likley situations and it will happen, if this passes..

I am curious about this legislation, how is this going to effect the bow hunters, I can see a guy sitting in a blind hunting mule deer in a bullberry thicket and of course a few grouse around and somebody wants to take a shot at the grouse from a distance with his 17HMR or 22-250 or 30-06, the bow hunter is deep trouble, Or I'm spring turkey hunting and I have a tom decoy set up in front of me and some guy takes a shot at the decoy from a distance. I can see all sorts of trouble with allowing rifles during these seasons.. These are all very likely situations and it will happen, if this passes..

Be sure of your target and beyond!!!! Basic hunter safety. You should never stand behind or become a decoy. Common sense. News flash....Do you think rifle packing turkey hunters would be the only rifle packing persons in the outdoors when you are hunting turkey or deer?

spring bear (same time as turkey)
fall bear (rifle season during general archery)
moose "
goat
sheep
coyote
squirrel
gopher
target practice and on and on and on.

If you drew a moose tag and were hunting with a bow do you realize that a rifle hunter with the same tag is hunting with a rifle. I could care less which way this bill goes but have heard alot of lame excuses that are against it.

Back